HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Help!
Need help with my FPV uav project.

I am starting a project I have been looking forward to for a long time now. I am thrilled to do it. But now, I feel overwhelmed. My goal is to build a UAV style rc plane with fpv and controlled from up to at least 3 miles. My budget cannot exceed $1,000USD (and cheaper is better). I would also like to add gps for convenience with tracking and finding it if it is lost. Could someone aid me in making a parts list? I would prefer a 2-stroke nitro engine, but anything works as long as it can run for at least 4-6 miles. Thank you
Soren64able is offline Find More Posts by Soren64able
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:10 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
858 Posts
It is indeed thrilling and overwhelming....but in a sweet way.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
very much so. It is amazing to do, but I am still confused with parts. I can probably assemble it, but some parts don't work with others, others are too expensive, etc. It's sort of frustrating
Soren64able is offline Find More Posts by Soren64able
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:47 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,319 Posts
It concerns me when you start out on this quest in the engines forum.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:46 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Some useful resources:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/index.php

http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/

http://www.diydrones.com/

Those are all good resources for learning. DIY drones sells stuff too but it has a useful forum section.

In short: 3-6 miles can fairly easily be accomplished with electric. Your first FPV/UAV project NEEDS to be electric. The vibrations and engine tuning and throttle management issues and limited information on making IC engines work with autopilots make it especially challenging. It can be done and it can be done well - just don't start with it.

Get all your FPV/UAV stuff from a vendor with a great reputation - go cheap and you will be buying it twice.

There is so much info - start combing through the links above. Read the sticky section(s) on the RCG link I gave.

Good luck!

Oh and you CAN accomplish your goal on your budget if you hold off on buying and gorge your brain on reading from the above links (and others you will find along the way).
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:17 AM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
It concerns me when you start out on this quest in the engines forum.
Just spewed my coffee.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:10 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,148 Posts
Well the range may be a problem. It depends on the country you live in. Here in the USA you are limited to line of sight. Maybe 1.2 kilometers or so maximum. It is a transmitter RF output limitation mandated by the FCC. They also have some new requirements coming out from the FAA and FCC about FPV vehicles too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2013
439 Posts
You can do this pretty easily with your budget. You do need to study about it and make some decisions on some basics. Plane is #1. Get a platform easy to fly, cheap and durable. Bixler 2 would be an easy choice to cover those. Then decide on a RC radio. Turnigy 9X would do nicely for this too. (Hobbyking has the newest version out thats Great). Then AV Tx and Rx gear decision. Decide on frequency you want to work with. 5.8, 1,2. 1,3...??? Depends on where you live. Then a set of googles or a video monitor / TV and Antennas, Then a OSD or Autopilot or both. Will also need a laptop PC for the GCS for the autopilot. APM 2.5 is a great choice and most of the bugs are worked out of it. You can buy a proven copy of that on RCTimer.com.... but that is most of the major parts needed. At DIY Drones they also offer a RTF plane that has most of this stuff in it too....You need to do some additional research but that would be a good start.
Asia Tech Drones is offline Find More Posts by Asia Tech Drones
Last edited by Asia Tech Drones; Jan 26, 2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
The guys are giving you great advice. Just be careful as many on forum users over sell what is needed. You often can do more with less. Experimentation and failure is valuable! Start by figuring out your mission objective and then glean the smart guys minds for advice. As ERLWB stated their are some "Wonderful" regulations out their with stiff fines if violated. Certificates of Authorization and TPR issues apply. In my world they have nearly shut us down.

Dave / Aerosight UAV/FPV
civilianuav.com
Aerosight UAV is offline Find More Posts by Aerosight UAV
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:00 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
I think it would be best if you moved this to the FPV/UAV piloting forum. You are sure to get many helpful answers there.
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1