SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:44 PM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
574 Posts
Luna Repaired!

It's taken a bit longer than expected due to ending up in hospital but thanks to Tony my Luna is fixed Just need to reinstall the electronics and she's ready to go, hopefully next couple of days. Fantastic repair, you can't see where the damage was.

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is offline Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:13 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,296 Posts
Nice to see, all repaired and ready to fly again, hope you are too and the hospital stay wasn't too serious.
finally i was able to fly the past two days, just a couple of flights but good ones, the 1110 and 2200 4s giving 100mm cg easy enough
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Last edited by mustflynow2; Jul 20, 2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:44 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthwonga View Post
.... I was getting over 118A at full throttle on the clamp meter. I reduced the throttle endpoint to get it down to 100A (was a little close to the 120A limit of the ESC). ..
Bad idea! Your esc now has to work a lot harder, getting hotter, than if you left it flat out
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:31 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Bad idea! Your esc now has to work a lot harder, getting hotter, than if you left it flat out
Spot on. Item 6 in the castle creations FAQ explains it well: http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...eral.html#gen6

Sub
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 02, 2014, 09:14 AM
May the Farce be with you
United Kingdom, Scotland, Dundee
Joined May 2006
57 Posts
Yeah, the throttle limiting is probably not a great idea. I was more worried about heat buildup than hitting the current limit. It's using a 120A YEP controller from Hobbyking, which should be pretty efficient at part throttle. I'll remove the throttle limit before the next flying session, see how it goes.

Had a great flying session last weekend at the Montrose fly-in. Best flight with the riot was 55 minutes on only 90 seconds of motor run (the limit for the battery). I would have been up longer but I dived it out a thermal as it was getting too small to see and I was worried about the cloud base. Really gald I got a nice comfy reclining folding chair! Very very pleased with how the riot flies, just need a few more good flying days now. Going to see if I can get a camera on it and film a flight.

Cheers,

Olly
Darthwonga is offline Find More Posts by Darthwonga
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:02 AM
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
Crash!

Hi Guys

On my third flight of my Luna from Hobbyking, the fuselage broke under the canopy about 10 seconds into the flight. The whole nose and motor separated and came down some distance from the rest of the plane. Luckily I was able to put her down on her belly so no other damage but I think it is very strange that this would happen. I am only using a 550 watt motor turning a 12 x 6 folding prop on 4S and it was producing 540 watts on a bench test.

Anyone else had similar problems??
herropreeze is offline Find More Posts by herropreeze
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:24 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,296 Posts
No not under power but with bad landing yes, although i could see it might happen, even though a blizzard etc can handle that power i s'pose So build it up again and it will be good for twice the power.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:41 AM
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
HK Riot failure

here are my pics
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:27 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,296 Posts
Post 163 shows where mine broke with a poor landing, also shows where i had reinforced from the start, the black area, where yours broke, now mine is built up past the canopy and solid.
how good is your spinner etc if it is heavy and out of balance, well doesn't matter how low the power is
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:59 AM
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Post 163 shows where mine broke with a poor landing, also shows where i had reinforced from the start, the black area, where yours broke, now mine is built up past the canopy and solid.
how good is your spinner etc if it is heavy and out of balance, well doesn't matter how low the power is
Thanks for that. I am going to fix it with fibreglass and carbon fibre as well as support the inrunner at the back to take load off the engine mount at the front.
The spinner is a good quality aluminium one and the prop is balanced.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:10 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,296 Posts
forgot to empty the sd card before going to the field, but no trouble with the lunastill flying fine
Luna (0 min 28 sec)