Buy something else. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, MN, Medina
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
Discussion
2nd transmitter Aurora or Eclipse 7?

I want/need to buy a second transmitter for a backup to my current Aurora and as a buddy box to help teach my boy to fly. Money is pretty tight right now and I really don't need 9 channels on any of my current planes or any planes in my near future.

Do you think I should spend the extra $100 to upgrade a second transmitter to the Aurora or save the money for other things?

Thanks

Jon
minnreefer is offline Find More Posts by minnreefer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnreefer View Post
I want/need to buy a second transmitter for a backup to my current Aurora and as a buddy box to help teach my boy to fly. Money is pretty tight right now and I really don't need 9 channels on any of my current planes or any planes in my near future. Do you think I should spend the extra $100 to upgrade a second transmitter to the Aurora or save the money for other things? Thanks Jon
"spend the extra $100 to upgrade a second transmitter to the Aurora "
Reading this as meaning a module and Optima transceiver package for an exisiting TX?
. Other TX do not need to be upgraded to 2.4GHz to operate as Slave or Master with an Aurora.
. If you have an exisiting Eclipse 7, Optic 6 or Prism 7 that you wish to use as a Master,
and use a model setup with existing AFHSS 2.4Ghz transceiver/receiver,
simply remove the module from the Aurira and insert into the other TX
- no need to change ID-Setup etc.
A9 does not need module when acting as a slave only.
Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up
. Hitec Optic 5 Cheap alternate slave/buddy, includes a Minima 6ch RX.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

PS: Just in case you also need a "trainer", there is a new RTF with new
Hitec "Lite 4" 4 channel due 2012 which can act as a slave (buddy box) only to an Aurora, Eclipse etc..
Intended for release only with RTF models, at this time, as per attached examples
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Feb 21, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: correct bad spelling transpositions
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
Thanks Alan, no I meant to spend an extra $100 over an Eclipse. I currently have an Aurora and I do enjoy it, I would also like to have some sort of back-up in case I damage the Aurora, or it might be something I keep with a lipo near by ready to go (I am always afraid that I will leave my transmitter at home when I go fly, I have a 2 hr round trip to the field), I don't need another trainer, I currently have 4 planes that I could use as a trainer if I needed . As I stated, my primary goal would be to have one that I can use as a buddy box, and or a remote for my boy to use (assuming I can get my 8 year old more interested in flying)

What is the best bang for the busk one would say.
Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Considered used equipment if money is tight?
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
I found a local store that will sell me a new one with a 7 channel rx for $330, so I think I will pick that up on Monday.

If anyone wants, I can send you their name and website.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Johninarky
Rogers,Arkansas
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnreefer View Post
I found a local store that will sell me a new one with a 7 channel rx for $330, so I think I will pick that up on Monday.

If anyone wants, I can send you their name and website.
If you don't need the servos, you can buy the tx and 7 chan. rx for $239
from Tower Hobbies and probably a few others.
John
jlremr is online now Find More Posts by jlremr
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
I just picked up an eclipse 7 pro. I did a lot of comparing of that radio with the Futaba 8FG but ultimately decided on the eclipse 7. Its a really nice radio for $300 and you get two receivers. For $ 400 you can easily add another two receivers. Also, the new eclipse 7 looks slick!
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Mar 24, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
8FG competes more with the Aurora 9, not Eclipse 7 Pro. Eclipse 7 pro competes with similar radios in this segment like dx6i, dx7, 7C, 6EX, Optic 6/Sport, etc.

It is a new radio with telemetry which makes this deal quite good indeed with the number of receivers included.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
yea its a good bang for your buck deal.
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Mar 23, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,075 Posts
As anyone upgraded the FM optic 6 (not sport) to the 2.4 spectra module. I purchased the optic6 along with the 2.4 module. I cannot get them to bind correctly!. Do I need to change some kind of setting on the optic? I want to use it as a buddy trainer and stand alone box for when I go camping and take a long my small bixler. Help appreciated..
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
As anyone upgraded the FM optic 6 (not sport) to the 2.4 spectra module. I purchased the optic6 along with the 2.4 module. I cannot get them to bind correctly!. Do I need to change some kind of setting on the optic? I want to use it as a buddy trainer and stand alone box for when I go camping and take a long my small bixler. Help appreciated..
. Please always start a new thread for new topics.

The Optic 6 does not "bind" to the Spectra Module.
Spectra module simply plugs into socket on reverse of Tx in lieu of the standard HPM-M or synthesised version.
Ensure Optic 6, via system menu (- hold down top left two buttons whilst switching on) is on PPM not QPCM and
although not essential with Spectra Module, preferably to keep standards, "N" shift.

The Spectra is a self contained Rf module has or update firmware version:
Spectra V2.00 for all transceivers V1.01 V1.04(0)
Spectra V3.01 for all Transceivers with V2.02 firmware & essential for Minima receivers (Optimum performance)
For further information, refer to:
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.