SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:26 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,569 Posts
Discussion
Flight boxes.....what are you guys using?

Trying to get a better idea for a Electric dedicated flight box. Would be nice if it held my charger too. I know Great Planes makes a nice one, but my charger is a couple inches too big to fit the targeted charger location on that box.

Post some pictures or links on what you guys are using. Weather its home-made, an actual r/c flight box, or something from the hardware store.
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:07 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
I used to have one big field box but found it got real messed up during a days flying. I now have a small cantilever type box for field tools and spares etc and a dedicated box for my chargers and leads. All my LiPo packs get transported in a padded and insulated cooler bag.

I find this much more convenient when I need my charger at home and leads don't get lost. Also easier to pack into my car as I never place heavy items in the back with my planes.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:36 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
I have a pull-along toolbox that I got from a local d.i.y. store. The upper half has a couple of drawers which I keep tools and spares in, plus a box which I've divided into two to keep my transmitter and charger. It's detachable from the lower half, and has a carrying handle.

The lower half is one compartment, in which I've installed my deep cycle 12v battery and a power panel in case I want to fly glow again. In fact, the lower compartment used to carry my smaller 12v starter battery, my starter, a half-gallon fuel bottle, and a bunch of cleaning rags before I went all-electric.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:39 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,045 Posts
I use a small pull behind luggage with the extendable handle. Using the foam stock holder for the radio, cardboard box for a small tool assortment and pockets for batteries and spare props.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:03 AM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
491 Posts
Hey guys,
Since I usually only go out with no more than (2) planes, I picked up a couple of these HF aluminum cases..... one for the 800mm birds, & the other for the 1400mm birds. They will hold (2) tx easily & all the accessories/tools I may need. Can't beat them for the price. Here's the link....

Denny

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...ase-39196.html
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:30 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
Hey guys,
Since I usually only go out with no more than (2) planes, I picked up a couple of these HF aluminum cases..... one for the 800mm birds, & the other for the 1400mm birds. They will hold (2) tx easily & all the accessories/tools I may need. Can't beat them for the price. Here's the link....

Denny

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...ase-39196.html
Use the same thing,one for batteries/charging equipment and one for tools. Only glitch is if you turn them on edge stuff gets jumbled up some, so I just keep them flatwise. Pic of test loadout,they are way more packed now.

Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Field Box? Sorta... When I fly I take 1. planes 2. batteries 3. xmitter 4. Field charger (optional)

All but the planes fit in my Spektrum Xmitter case... Usually I take NO tools except a few small hand tools. This is E not IC, right?
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:15 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Here's what i use, Plano 737 tackle box. Lotsa room for lotsa stuff, nice compartmentalized to separate items. Holds about everything you need.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:34 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
I use an old Targus notebook bag something like this:

1 central cavity and 1 big velcro pouch on the front.

I keep my DX6i in its original foam container in the central cavity and a field kit in the front velcro pouch. The field kit is in three parts:
1. Small, clear zip bag for CA glue, tape, toothpicks, etc.
2. Small, clear zip bag for small tools; screwdriver with multiple tips, needle nose pliers, scissors, etc.
3. Lipo battery "caddy"

This caddy is a separate little bag that holds my 1S batteries for Ultra Micro planes plus a 2S 750 mah, 3S 1000 mah and 3S 1300 mah for my Stryker and Easy Star planes. It means I can leave the transmitter and tools in the car but take the Lipos into work with me on a hot summer day without worrying the Lipos will get too hot in my car.

Using this shoulder bag means I can carry my field kit and still have both hands free to carry two planes out to the flying field.

I also keep misc pieces like spare props, battery checker, etc. in the many little pouches and pockets that you find in such a computer tote bag.

I keep my planes in the trunk of my VW Golf and the field kit case in the car so the heavier bag won't shift around and hurt the planes.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Last edited by MiddleMarc; Sep 09, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:49 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
979 Posts
Check out fishing boxes in a sports store or Wal Mart. They have some good ones that can be used. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:15 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
I just throw a roll of duct tape and some pliers in an old Clutch Cargo lunch box and I am good to go.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:01 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
My field box....

mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:18 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Here's what i use, Plano 737 tackle box. Lotsa room for lotsa stuff, nice compartmentalized to separate items. Holds about everything you need.

Chuck
I have the exact same box it works great.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:30 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
My field box....

I just gotta' see your truck.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:24 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC(UK) View Post
I just gotta' see your truck.
Here you go
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn