HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:50 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Question
Best and Cheapest Micro Batteries?

Me and my bud both fly micro models except the one thing we lack is enough battery power. He flys and PZ Ember and I fly the HZ Champ. I have heard hyperion is very good but what is the best mah and c's?
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:27 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
anything by Hyperion is the way to go !!!
KCinNC is online now Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:36 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
anything by Hyperion is the way to go !!!
Cool! Is ebay the best place to buy from?
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:43 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
An Ember or a Champ don't really need Hyperion batteries unless you flying below 40 degrees F.

Cheap Hobbyking 160's will work fine.

When you buy something with a Mustang motor, then buy good batteries.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
ebay is about the same as online places....i couldn't really find any mega deals on hyperions there... if you get them from ebay, ask the seller to combine the shipping if you buy a few..that will save a few $
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:06 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I've got some Turnigy NanoTech 130's and they work very nicely in my PZ micro P-51. They're the same size as the stock 120mAh battery from Parkzone and last longer with more performance. Price is $1.24 each from HobbyKing.com plus shipping. They also come in a 160mAh version... and naturally both are sold out and on backorder.

The other battery I really like at the moment is the MiniAviation.com 180mAh single cell. You use the stock charger for it and it gives me about 7 minutes of full-throttle running time in my micro P-51, with nice power and a tad more penetration due to its slightly heavier weight (~5g). They cost about US$28 shipped for 5 of them, so work out to be very well priced. Capacity tests under load show them to equal Hyperion performance, too.

Either of those sound like they'd suit you well, I certainly like them a lot!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:40 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
FWIW the Nano-Tech 160's are in. but who knows for how long. they go quick!! I like them too, better than the stock Eflite stuff you can charge them ALOT quicker (they claim 5c i think!!) and they are cheeeeeaap!
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,553 Posts
Try Valuehobby.com. My friend got about 4 of the bigger packs they sell and work great. He has used them in his Blade mSR and UM J3, and I have even used them in my UM J3's and my Flyzone Albatros.

Heres the web address:

http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=38
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,591 Posts
Ditto on the value hobby batteries. A little more expensive than HK but they are local to me and I get them in a day. I bought 10 of them at the start of the indoor season and charge the all up at once. I don't even bother bringing a charger with me. The only batteries I haven't had any luck with are the e-flight ones. I seemed to have killed them pretty quick using the little charger they pack with the Champ.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:10 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
i was looking at those 160 batteries from Valuehobby....will they fit in the msr battery holder ?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i was looking at those 160 batteries from Valuehobby....will they fit in the msr battery holder ?
They fit in my McX battery holder but I had to peel the label off and just write the capacity on it with a Sharpie.

I bought 4 of the 130s and 4 of the 160s from Value Hobby to be used on my Champ, Vapor, T28, Mcx and Micro Stik and they seem to be working well.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
I have never used the Valuehobby batteries, but the C rating is lower than that of the Nano-Techs. Numbers are just that numbers so it doesn't mean necessarily that the NanoT are better but it is worth pointing out I think. Plus as you guys have said they are a local (US) company so that's a plus too.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:19 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Thanks guys this will defiantly help!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Numbers are just that numbers so it doesn't mean necessarily that the NanoT are better but it is worth pointing out I think.
Sure, but the Nano 130mAh's certainly had a lot more 'get-up-and-go' compared to a similar capacity Parkzone 120mAh batteries... and this is on only their second charge cycle, too, don't forget. I actually rather like them as a cell.

Whatever, pick a product, buy it and enjoy it. My experiences so far have all been good.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk