New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by BJMcC
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Question
Blade 450X Spool up then stop

Hi, I have a Blade 450X which I have had for a few years, however all of a sudden it will start to spool up and then stop. I bring the throttle back and try again and it works fine. This happens intermittently and only seems to happen when spooling up. Does anyone know why this could be happening?
BJMcC is offline Find More Posts by BJMcC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2015, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by Skapr1
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
I have experienced similiar issue(s). Could be one of several different things. Need more info.

Did you notice what the AR7200BX was flashing (if any)? Servo's going bad, low battery, ESC cap came loose and radio settings changed?
Skapr1 is offline Find More Posts by Skapr1
Old Mar 16, 2015, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,313 Posts
Could also be a duff battery causing the voltage to fall under load and the ESC to cut due to low voltage. Closing the throttle would re-set the ESC which fits what you are describing.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 17, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,372 Posts
I would look at battery for sure. Plus are you using a good higher c battery.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 17, 2015, 02:28 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,313 Posts
I'm not sure the OP is even reading anymore?

If the battery is a couple of years old like the heli, and especially if the battery has been stored for a long time in a fully charged state than almost for sure the battery is toast.

Anyway, why was it asked in the large heli forum ?
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Mar 17, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:33 AM
Find More Posts by BJMcC
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Sorry, I wasn't sure which forum to ask on (new to this). Will use the correct one next time. I'll have to check what was flashing on the AR7200BX. I think the light went off and then went blue when I pulled the throttle back. There was also a servo issue (not sure if it is related), when it did spool up ok, I went into idle-up and lost rudder control. It was about a foot off the ground and no damage. Have been using the battery and it seems to charge up ok after each flight. I'll buy another battery and see if that's the problem.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:50 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,313 Posts
The fact that the battery charges ok really means very little as far as battery health is concerned. The first thing you generally notice when a battery goes bad is that it cant hold it's voltage under load, and this fits with everything that you have decribed so far.

The test with a new battery will confirm, please post on how it goes.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 03:42 AM
Find More Posts by BJMcC
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Thanks again. I'll order some more batteries. Once they arrive, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 03:52 AM
Find More Posts by BJMcC
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Hi again, I just received the new batteries and still have the same problem. On some occasions if I Ieave the throttle at about 25% it will kick in, however other times it won't and I need to close the throttle, try again and it spools up. It's still happening intermittently, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I also noticed that the blue light on the BeastX began to flash rather than stay solid when the spooling up stopped. Would anyone have any other ideas?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 04:40 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,313 Posts
I was pretty sure it was the battery, oh well, a spare battery is never a bad thing!

I did some Googling and came up with this thread which seems to describe an identical problem on the same heli and which apparently is a common issue: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538345

So the problem in that case was the capacitor on the ESC had come loose where it solders to the ESC causing the ESC to shut down internittantly.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by BJMcC
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Thanks, I just read the thread you provided and will check the ESC more closely. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old May 02, 2015, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by BJMcC
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
I have had a closer look at the ESC and can't seem to see anything loose. Would anyone have any other ideas?
Old May 03, 2015, 03:12 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,313 Posts
Try another ESC....
Old May 08, 2015, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by mdugas
Joined Aug 2003
733 Posts
esc damaged internaly probably ,kicks off on spool up ,but when throttle is closed it resets.
early 450 x that seemed to be a common problem.some people were saying that even just
a minor oops, like scrape roterblade tip on ground for a split second would be enough to
cause thisothers had them fail on first pack spool up.
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old May 19, 2015, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by BJMcC
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Thanks, I'll get another ESC and see how it goes.