HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2003, 03:04 PM
dont push me.......I roll
oklahoma..the new and improved windy state!
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
gws flight pack and transmitter

hey,i have a gws p51d mustand yada yada yada......iv had it for a while now and all i need is the guts for it......i talked to a guy up at the LHS and he recommended the gws flight pack thats 100 bucks and comes with everything except the transmitter,he can sell me the trans. for 30 bucks...so overall im getting set up with everything for around abouts 145 dollers......is this even worth it?
i will most likely be getting gws planes from here on out so to me i think its a great deal but im not sure.
bassplay is offline Find More Posts by bassplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2003, 03:05 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
prop

oh and yea...how about the prop?? i painted it red to match the paintwork on the plane...was that a mistake?
Old Mar 05, 2003, 03:11 PM
Regina, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
133 Posts
Sounds Fair

Sounds fair but I would have to say it depends on the TX

Flight packs can be had for the $60-100 range depending on many variables...

Servo Size Smaller typically more expensive but I would go with 3 naro's

ESC Bigger 5 amp min, or higher. But again the higher you go the more you spend.

RX I personally like the 6 channel ones, and they are more useful down the road, but they also cost more than the 4 channel ones. 6 channels seem better if flying around other people (less glitchy) but this really seems to be dependent on you location.

Batter for somehting like a p51 should be at least a 600 mah don't bother with anything less.

And the TX is up to you. I just go going myself and went with a 6 channel computer radio with three model mem. But depending on your exp. and needs this may be too much for you. The GWS TX are low cost and are good basic 4 channel units but they are missing a few features, and resale is limited on them. (No Trainer Option, so they can not even be hooked up the FMS for self training) Get a JR, Futaba, or such for a radio and you have more options..

My 4 cents...
TJSlayer is offline Find More Posts by TJSlayer
Old Mar 05, 2003, 03:12 PM
Regina, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
133 Posts
Prop

Prop will probably be fine....

Have you ever flown before????

If not you may want to seriously consider some self traing and someting like the beaver or slowstick before ever putting power to the P51.....
Old Mar 05, 2003, 03:50 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Bassplay
$100 is not a bad price if it includes a big enough ESC(not the 2 amp), battery(750mah minimum), 3 servos, and RX with Xtal.
You may want to check this link to Aeromicro for a decent price on flight packs.
http://www.aeromicro.com/SpPcioNiMHPack.htm

They will make you the pack you want pretty reasonably.

Also try Aircraft World for great prices and $2.50 shipping to anywhere via priority mail.
http://aircraft-world.com/default.asp

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Mar 05, 2003, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
well...

yea i have flown the p51 about 3 times..a friends of mines.. Peter Khor...... i have flown before of course but its just the $$$ part i have problems with...im trying to go as cheap as i can with this cause it will be a burger to get more money.i have around......well 150 or so..if yall got any ideas about how i can get set up with this puppy complete it will greatly help me out.
Old Mar 05, 2003, 04:58 PM
Regina, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
133 Posts
What Type of TX was that???

Well then from your local guy what sort of Radio was it, you may have all you need there....
Old Mar 05, 2003, 06:24 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I just bought the GWS GWT-4A Transmitter for like $30. So far I like it, not as solid as my Futaba conquest but seems to work fine!

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Mar 05, 2003, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
gws tx

well yea....30 bucks is reasonable if you ask me!!! and if you but the gws flight pack well...your set up for half ther price it would be to go with a hitec and all that other stuff.just curious...is it possible to use the transmitter (gws) with other planes...i man can you get like Xtals for it or whatever and say use it for like a zagi or something?
Old Mar 05, 2003, 11:10 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
The GWS transmitter is basic, no V-tail or Delta mixing, so you will need a seperate mixer on the plane itself (for Zagi wings type, about $15 for the mixer). Other than that, you might have to flip the servo reversing switches everytime you switch planes - just make sure you check right before flying. iirc the GWS transmitter power out is lower than the usual radio, since it's meant more for parkflyers only. You also have to change out 8x AA cells, compared to other radios with Nicad pack, all you need to do is recharge.

Also, forgot to tell you that when you were on the sticks on the P-51, it had quite a bit of exponential (30-40% iirc) - that made the plane less twitchy - with the GWS radio you will have be be carefull with your setup on the servo and control arm links, start out will small control surface movements.

btw ... fri/sat weather looks great for flying!
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Last edited by Peter Khor; Mar 05, 2003 at 11:13 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2003, 10:10 AM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
all right

well.....im officially stumped! ok i can go with a cheap flt pck and transmitter that will "get me by" that dont have hardly any features or i could go with a more expensive TX and flt pck that will give me tons of features.........well in the long shot i will most likely be getting more planes which means i will need a better radio,so why now spend the cash now and get something nice.....hey peter! u still have that transmitter?well if you dont sell it soon ill buy it from you.i got some cash coming in soon and if its now sold by then ill buy it.well keep the posts coming! im open to all point of views!
Old Mar 08, 2003, 04:39 PM
Regina, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
133 Posts
I think you summed it up well!

Bassplay

I think you are on the right track now, the GWS TX will work, but if you plan on getting more planes, then you'd be better off wih something with more options model memory, etc.

I have a JR XF-631 6 channel computer radio with three model mem that I thought would be more than enough, but now I'm wishing that I had more model memory as I want a few mor planes....and I've opnly been at it two months and have actually done very little flying...

(The fun never stops)

I have even been toying with the idea of a simple helicopter...I was thinking og getting a zagi, or something, and A10, and possible another ducted fan model.

So that would put me to six models. Arrggg. It would be nice if there was a way to increase the model memory of these things...
Old Mar 08, 2003, 04:56 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Re: I think you summed it up well!

Quote:
Originally posted by TJSlayer
Bassplay

So that would put me to six models. Arrggg. It would be nice if there was a way to increase the model memory of these things...
I have a Futaba T6XA transmitter with 6 memories and even with this transmitter I ran out of memories. I solved the problem by putting more than one model on each memory.

Many aircraft will fly well on a generic memory set up by mechanically adjusting, in the aeroplane, such things as position of the pushrod on the servo arm and control horn. Putting the pushrod on the other side of the servo arm can change the servo direction

You will be left with a small number of aeroplanes, which require unique memory settings for such things as mixing and exponential.

By using this system I now have unused memories.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Mar 08, 2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2003, 04:44 PM
Regina, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
133 Posts
Cool!

kensp

Thanks for the idea, I never thought about it that way....
Old Mar 09, 2003, 06:30 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS flight packs can match Futaba, JR, or Airtronics systems with same frequency standrad.

However, Hitec has a little different from the major 3 makers. So the avalible service range will be slightly shorter due to the frequency off-set!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO