HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
Joined May 2007
4 Posts
Discussion
Radios And Sailplane Advice.

Guys/ Girls,

Looking for a new radio to manage what hopefully will be a fleet of planes in the very near future as we as some advice on the best slope models you guys recommend. I know there are heaps of lists on this site but i want to hear from Aus guys and what they are flying / seeing on the slopes.

I already fly a DLG and will be adding some slopies and later on a full comp plane (F3b/j etc) to my collection and want to know what you guys recommend to fly these machines?

I have read hundreds of posts on these websites and thinking ranges from JR9 to Futaba 9C and Multiplex Evo /SX. What are most of you guys using and why? What are the best prices you guys are finding around? Or should the better question be - what sites are you guys using online? Are there places to get what i'll need 2nd hand?

Also - I can see a lot of you guys are flying on slopes a) Birds b) banana's - How are these going? What is the current thinking the Mini Ellipse? Again Ive trolled through hundreds of posts about the merits and downsides to many different slope planes...but I want to hear what you guys think as you use them everyday.

I know this is a little long winded but any help you guys can provide would be great!
hogester79 is offline Find More Posts by hogester79
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2007, 11:51 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,380 Posts
Depends where you fly will dictate the type you want to get ?
I'm currently using the JR2610 which was very good value from Klaus
of airsportRC, also Laanguy from falcon gliders can give you all the low down on the bird series of slopers.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 28, 2007, 11:56 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
I fly Hitec and recommend JR.
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old May 29, 2007, 01:12 AM
Are you serious?
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2005
433 Posts
Agree with guys above, depends on your needs. Me, i use a JR3810, great radio and i use it for slope (EPP and F3J) it has the crow function needed for full house planes.
If you are into scale, you will need 8+ channels for the big birds.
http://www.rctradingpage.com.au/ is a good source for 2nd hand gear plus the for sale thread in the Aus section of RCG.
Slope models depend on your location, the rough coast line of Qld and NSW are more suited to these EPP models where you can bash them around. The more solid glass/carbon models like the softer grass slopes.
If you looking for a nice molded ship, look no further than http://www.rc-sailplane.com.au i have one of the Miraj's, awesome glider, really robust.
Miraj is offline Find More Posts by Miraj
Old May 29, 2007, 02:18 AM
Joined May 2007
4 Posts
Thanks so far

Hi guys thanks for the info so far..

Looking at 60inch slopers.. Have been talking to Andrew at Falcon to see what they got and what all you guys are buying.

As for the JR 3810 or JR 2610 these have all the functions id want for Gliders? What would potential reasons would there be for the JR9? Anyone use Futaba?

If I dont need to outlay the super big bikkies on an all out computer that has sticks on the font side that would be great!

No real interest in scale planes more the sporty side of things with some competition thrown in at later stages when I can find the time.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:20 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,571 Posts
At least your going the right way about it , getting the right radio first . As my fleet grew I kept upgrading radios .Didn`t really think I would get into full house gliders but it happened . Bought 4 tx`s before I finaly settled on a Evo . I`m not totally happy with the Evo but I`m not buying another one .
Buy something with 9 +channels first .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old May 29, 2007, 04:31 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,380 Posts
JR is pretty much the radio of choice on the slope, Futaba are over priced for a simliar setup as JR's either the 3810 or the 2610 are both radios that offer all you need to fly not only sport but can be competitive as well.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 29, 2007, 05:58 AM
Joined Oct 2004
926 Posts
I know of several F3B/F3J pilots that were using the Evo transmitters and now they have changed to the JR 9X. Hopefully Becsta will chime in as I think she also had an Evo but has upgraded. Should be nice to hear if I am correct and why she has changed. I upgraded a 2610 to a 9X as I was having problems operating the full house gliders and controlling the servos, especially the flap/crow braking set ups. Although I have not used other transmitters for a long time I have found the 9X does everything I want. It is best to save a little longer and get something that does more than you need because a day will come when you will use the features and channels.

Your also doing the right thing with the gliders. There are a few available in Australia and everyone will have a different opinion on what is good. After you have read enough posts on the different models here you will start to see a few trends on how good or bad the models are.
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy
Old May 29, 2007, 06:22 AM
Joined May 2007
4 Posts
Coming along

Thanks for all the replys so far guys making it a little easier to make some what potentially could be hard choices!

I have manged to track down a great price on an almost new JR 3810 - so if that suits and no one sees the need to jump up and spend the extra $400+ for a 9X then perhaps I should grab that if that will work for all I will need?

I know I said it before but Andrew at Falcon Gliders is being a great help in trying to narrow down the glider that would best suit. I've never received so much help on an email from any online seller before.

Thanks again for the info so far looking forward to hearing some more....

Also how many of you guys/girls fly the Nemesis / Mini Nyx / Birds - What are you finding are the best all round performers? Anyone flying the mini Ellipse?

Blake
Old May 29, 2007, 06:42 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogester79
Thanks for all the replys so far guys making it a little easier to make some what potentially could be hard choices!

Also how many of you guys/girls fly the Nemesis / Mini Nyx / Birds - What are you finding are the best all round performers? Anyone flying the mini Ellipse?

Blake
Don`t own any of the above but seen them all fly . Not sure what you`ve flown before but if your stepping up from foamies you`d be stoked with any of the above planes performance . I`d have a hard time choosing from the above . As they`re all such good performers I`d be looking for the one with good durability , good price & what you get with the kit . Ie quality linkages etc as some planes come with nothing more than a wing fuse & tail .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old May 29, 2007, 07:19 AM
Joined Oct 2004
926 Posts
I think Fred in Sydney is flying a Mini Ellipse but not sure how they perform. Seems to be a few Bananas around NSW/VIC. The Nemesis was imported years ago and called a sharp/sharpie? (known as shooting star in UK and Asia). There are a few Nemesis that fly in Sydney and it was my first mouldie. Being imported in the past I am sure there are more around. I know of several Mini Nyx around Sydney and at least 2 in Victoria. At the moment Birds are everywhere.

As dingo says, look at what comes with the model and its features. Of all the planes you mention there are differences in their performance and quality/durabilty. Knowing the conditions you are most likely to fly, the landing areas and what you want the model to do will help to narrow the search. Also your flying/landing skills should play some part in the decision.

At the end of the day you will be looking at your new toy alot so make sure you like how it looks.
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy