SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:42 PM
"I landed it"
Canada, ON, Caledon
Joined Mar 2013
99 Posts
Discussion
Glider Vertical Landing

I have been teaching my uncle how to fly his 1600mm phoenix glider. He has come a long way and has about 2.5 hours of in air flight time while tethered to me. He can fly pretty well for the most part but we never got around to practicing the landing aspect. We tried once and he would panic and I would have to take over. Well today he got impatient and decided to go out flying by himself. This is the result of impatience...

Surprisingly the plane held up pretty well. A little hot glue and she should be up in the air pretty soon.
MEGAjig is offline Find More Posts by MEGAjig
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:11 PM
...one of my nicer landings
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Mar 2014
232 Posts
Did he walk away in good health from it?
suddenstop is offline Find More Posts by suddenstop
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:16 PM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
393 Posts
That's what I call, sticking it.
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:54 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
Or a spot landing...
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:58 AM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
330 Posts
Well, which box did you hold? I know some trainer boxes don't use the mixes of the master, so perhaps the landing mix that was required (F-E, F-A) wasn't working on his TX. That would make things more interesting.

I'm happy things survived, needing only some TLC and CA.
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:38 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,979 Posts
I think he ran out of Altitude, Air speed and Ideas all at the same time.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:43 AM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
Back in the day when all we had were woodies, this kind of landing was referred to as "planting the balsa tree".
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:51 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
Straight in is often best (not counting on the belly proper).
I did the very same thing with my Passer when i "free-flighted" it tossing it off the slope with the switch off... lawn dart style with hardly a scratch.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:53 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
That is an impressive landing. I am very surprised that you say it did not sustain much damage. I would have expected significant compression of the foam causing the fuse or the nose to be out of alignment. Don't ask me how I know.

I am sure you are doing an excellent job of teaching. Perhaps you do this and perhaps you don't. But it might help your student with his landings.

When I am teaching flight with 3 channel parkflyer electric or a glider, on the first demo flight I get it up, get it trimmed, turned into the wind then hold the radio in one hand and spread them wide to demonstrate that the plane knows how to fly, that most of what we do is disrupt its flight.

When I am teaching landing, especially landing gliders, I get them on a LONG approach and just float it in, power off. In fact when I demonstrate the landing approach I get the glider on final glide then hold my hands wide to emphasize that that most inputs are not needed. I just let it float in with no input from me.

I can do that with my Radian, my Supra and any other glider I own.

My experience is that new pilots, especially new glider pilots, want to over control and usually pull elevator at the wrong time during landing, causing a stall and a crash.

So, FWIW, once turned into the wind on final, the glider should be able to land itself. If it does not it is not properly trimmed. You may have to take a walk to get it but landing safely is more important than landing close.

Try that as a demonstration. It is VERY effective in teaching landings for a glider.

Of course that assumes your glider is well trimmed, you are landing into the wind and you are not teaching a newbie how to fly in high or gusty winds.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:35 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,045 Posts
When you get really good you can progress to doing landings like this
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ModelAero Polaris Ultra
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:47 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
fin isn't square
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:54 AM
Joined Mar 2014
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That is an impressive landing. I am very surprised that you say it did not sustain much damage. I would have expected significant compression of the foam causing the fuse or the nose to be out of alignment. Don't ask me how I know.

I am sure you are doing an excellent job of teaching. Perhaps you do this and perhaps you don't. But it might help your student with his landings.

When I am teaching flight with 3 channel parkflyer electric or a glider, on the first demo flight I get it up, get it trimmed, turned into the wind then hold the radio in one hand and spread them wide to demonstrate that the plane knows how to fly, that most of what we do is disrupt its flight.

When I am teaching landing, especially landing gliders, I get them on a LONG approach and just float it in, power off. In fact when I demonstrate the landing approach I get the glider on final glide then hold my hands wide to emphasize that that most inputs are not needed. I just let it float in with no input from me.

I can do that with my Radian, my Supra and any other glider I own.

My experience is that new pilots, especially new glider pilots, want to over control and usually pull elevator at the wrong time during landing, causing a stall and a crash.

So, FWIW, once turned into the wind on final, the glider should be able to land itself. If it does not it is not properly trimmed. You may have to take a walk to get it but landing safely is more important than landing close.

Try that as a demonstration. It is VERY effective in teaching landings for a glider.

Of course that assumes your glider is well trimmed, you are landing into the wind and you are not teaching a newbie how to fly in high or gusty winds.
What might help is if new RC pilots spent a little time landing a in a small trainer plane like a Cessna 152. Go to local airport and look for flight training. Usually for less than $100 you can take an introductory ride. You will usually get to fly the plane... takeoff and landing with assist as well as be introduced to flight theory. You will learn the value of preflight inspections. I have made up a preflight and postflight checklist as if I were about to fly a "real" plane.

Get a flight training book and learn the traffic pattern around an airport runway. The pattern accounts for wind direction leading to consistently repeatable takeoffs, approaches and landings. Learn about aerodynamics and flight. Then visualize yourself as you fly the RC as if it were a "real" flight taking care to pilot as if you were in a "real" plane. It may help prevent crashes if you determine if it were a real plane you might not have walked away.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:57 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Not a bad idea to get a lesson in a full scale aircraft but it is much simpler than that.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...47&postcount=9
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2014
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
fin isn't square
Well said
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:22 PM
Joined Mar 2014
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Not a bad idea to get a lesson in a full scale aircraft but it is much simpler than that.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...47&postcount=9
Your points are well taken and would be useful if your advice were heeded.

It is a cool thing to fly or approach to land in coordinated flight - hands off - in a real airplane. It gives you a real sense of what a plane does and wants to remain positively statically stable. And besides, fool around and stall spin at a low enough altitude and you can ask God Himself in person what happened.
Last edited by suddenstop; Apr 19, 2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: more