HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
356 Posts
I checked and re-checked and then checked again. The concave side is facing the rear.
Bob6831 is online now Find More Posts by Bob6831
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Looks like I am getting 2 different opinions, which one is correct?????
Does the prop spin clockwise or counterclockwise when viewed from the rear. In other words, stand behind the plane and turn it on slighty to see which direction it rotates. Then power it off and looking down on the prop hub with a blade of the propeller pointing directly up at your face, which slant do you have based on my drawing? 1 or 2?
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Are you using the supplied transmitter with the wild hawk?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
356 Posts
yes.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
yes.
When you pull back on the right stick, the elevator moves up correct?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
356 Posts
and per drawing, is #2.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:25 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,415 Posts
Well, your prop is on correctly then. Did you do the power off glide test?

The glide test is also a great chance to test out control sensitivity.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
356 Posts
Yes, elevator moves up when I move the Tx stick down.
I tried the 'glide' test WITHOUT any power on. Not sure I can go far enough to be able to use the Tx before hits the ground.
Note that it seems to be better when I have moved the CG BACK a little, such that it is about in the center of the spar. I had it about at 2.25 inch from LE and now is about 3 inches from LE - leading edge of wing. Note that it appears from different users that this can vary a lot.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:33 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
I tried the 'glide' test WITHOUT any power on. Not sure I can go far enough to be able to use the Tx before hits the ground.
Note that it seems to be better when I have moved the CG BACK a little, such that it is about in the center of the spar. I had it about at 2.25 inch from LE and now is about 3 inches from LE - leading edge of wing. Note that it appears from different users that this can vary a lot.
FWIW, the manual recommends 58-62 mm, which is about 2.2-2.4 inches. That's worked well for me.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:06 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,415 Posts
Quote:
O crap! Here we go again. The stick goes forward and back. When you pull it back the elevator is supposed to move up. Up and down depends on how you hold the TX. Back and forth are relative to the TX. Also, since the video game days, for some arcane reason (arcade reason?) up has been defined as forward, which just makes communication impossible. I'm 99.9% sure you have yours right. Remember Indiana Jones flying toward the cliff. "Pull up!!! Pull up!!!" She's saying that because you pull the stick back toward you to give up elevator to climb over the cliff. She doesn't know about stalling, that's not why she's in the movie.

Quote:
Very nice! Your radio range is not less when the motor is not running. You should have out of sight capability without losing radio link, motor or not. Use some glide tests to see if you think you have too much or too little control throw and gain some confidence in your ability to control the thing.

I launch left-handed so my right thumb is already on the stick as I launch. I use a shoulder strap for hand launching.

Then I suggest a launch like this: toss it power off. When you're satisfied you're straight and level, then mix in about half throttle. Without having to dial in any elevator at all you'll see the plane gain altitude. You can slowly mix in as much throttle as you need. If you use elevator, just blip up and recenter the stick. The plane will then climb. It might slowly resume level flight but it will maintain the climb at least for a short time.

For awhile, use the sticks by blipping them momentarily (half second or so) in the direction you want and then releasing. Need more? Repeat. Need less? Blip back for half the duration. No steep turns or climbs. Gain some confidence that your plane will take care of you.

Then you can smooth out your inputs as you gain confidence. I think right now the lack of confidence is as much a problem as what you don't know about flying. Keep at it in a planned, controlled way that you can analyze to improve your technique. You'll get it!
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:11 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
664 Posts
Expo can be a key to a beginner's success! Dual rate restricts control surface travel, and Expo is used to de-sensitize stick movement around neutral. Transmitters such as the DX6i have both functions available. 30 to 45% expo, and around 60-75 % dual rate is where most ARFs initial settings end up. Some foamies need more elevator travel than the 60-70% provides.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:44 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,415 Posts
Expo is a function that it takes experience to implement. Without help, usefulness to a beginner? About zero. For the unassisted newbie, here is no substitute for step by step learning, carefully planned and executed. Everything else is window dressing. Extra gadgets and functions only stand in the way of learning to fly, introducing MORE variables into an already complicated situation.

If he had an instructor, expo might be a good idea. The expert could tune the expo and test fly the plane. That isn't the situation here. You may even be saying, "buy a new radio and learning to fly will be a done deal!" Nothing could be further from the truth. He can't spend more money and magically learn to fly. He has the equipment now that will do the job. A good plan today beats a perfect and more expensive plan tomorrow every time.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:55 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck75 View Post
Expo can be a key to a beginner's success! Dual rate restricts control surface travel, and Expo is used to de-sensitize stick movement around neutral. Transmitters such as the DX6i have both functions available. 30 to 45% expo, and around 60-75 % dual rate is where most ARFs initial settings end up. Some foamies need more elevator travel than the 60-70% provides.
The radio that comes with that plane has neither duel rates or expo and works fine. An experienced buddy would be invaluable.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
Morristown,NJ
Joined Oct 2003
162 Posts
Are the wings straight? Have seen several of these warped from delivery or from sitting in hot car.
WRT your questions about amount of sustainable damage: the nose mostly serves to hold the battery in & for appearance; any fuselage damage forward of the leading edge (LE) doesn't mean much; damage between the LE and the trailing edge (TE) may"tilt" the wing "sideways" and add yaw & pitch; damage behind the TE can add undesirable yaw or pitch. So check that everything is straight.
moyg is offline Find More Posts by moyg
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
356 Posts
Thanks Moyg for addressing that question. Believe wings are on straight.