HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Discussion
Help with esc

Hi guys. Can anyone please tell me what esc should work for this moto that I got from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCTIMER-2030...ht_2970wt_1037

Please note that the max rpm for motor is 50 000.So I need esc that will have a high pwm to produce rpm greater than that of motor.

I found this esc but i don't know if it will work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Pe...item1c250cdbbb

In the description below it it says max rpm for 2 pole motor is 210 000.

I don't know if this esc will work for the the mini car ,which is why I need this motor for.

I know that this esc is intended for helicopter brushless motors which have a huge spur gear connected to its tiny pinion gear.But will this esc produce enough power for motor to have enough torque to push the car at high speeds.

I am trying to build mini car with foam wheels to reach high speeds like 50 -60 or what ever km/h.
shmiser is offline Find More Posts by shmiser
Last edited by shmiser; Jul 24, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
That's a plane or heli ESC, not a car ESC so it won't have brakes or reverse like you'll want in a car.

IMO, you're better off with a package like this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-5050kv.html
or
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-6100kv.html
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Esc Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
That's a plane or heli ESC, not a car ESC so it won't have brakes or reverse like you'll want in a car.

IMO, you're better off with a package like this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-5050kv.html
or
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-6100kv.html

Hi there.Thanks for your reply.Actually in the description of the esc I showed it says that it is fully programable.So user can either enable or disable brake and it also runs the motor in reverse.

All I wanted to know is if that esc will produce enough PWM to run the motor i have at close to its maximum rpm which is 50 000.

However the combo you suggested is from hobby parts not from ebay..
I no longer oreder anything from states because of the terrible experience I had from nitrorcx.com

Bastards charged me so much money for shipping.I ordered 100 dollar rc helicopter from them and then besides that I had to pay to Canada
post additional 115 dollars for customs and shipping and handling.

By the way I am from Toronto.
How is shipping to Markham.DO you also pay crazy fees like I did.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
The most I've paid for shipping from hobbypartz is $10, and I'm in the Markham area too. Don't get anything shipped UPS and you won't pay extra fees either.

That ESC on ebay definitely won't have reverse, and the brakes won't be like what you expect in a car ESC. It'll easily handle the two pole motor at 50k rpm though.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2004
102 Posts
You most likely won't be happy with a plane/helicopter esc for a car unless you just want to go forward and don't need reverse or brakes. Plane esc's have limited brake function to stop the prop from freewheeling because it causes drag. When the stick goes all the way down it will turn on a preset brake of low medium or high (dependent on manufacturer and model), not proportional like you want on a car. The reverse is a programable function, it's either on or off. You would need a programming card or a complex process of plug battery in, listen for tones, stick up/down through tone menu and then stick up/down to changes settings. Usually it's quicker to swap two wires on a brushless system, swapping 2 of the 3 motor leads reverses the direction.

The motor link no longer works, but it sounds like the motor rpm was a mechanical failure rpm, the point at which the magnets fly off the rotor. Usually you don't have to worry about hitting that unless you are running high voltage or a it's a very high kv motor. So most esc's should handle the actual rpm that you will be running at.
Evil Twin is offline Find More Posts by Evil Twin
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Esc Help

Quote:
The most I've paid for shipping from hobbypartz is $10, and I'm in the Markham area too. Don't get anything shipped UPS and you won't pay extra fees either.

That ESC on ebay definitely won't have reverse, and the brakes won't be like what you expect in a car ESC. It'll easily handle the two pole motor at 50k rpm though.
Hi.Thanks for your reply again. Wow 10 dollars is really cheap.Ok. can you please tell me which shipping option to choose after checkout online, other than UPS.

Because if the shipping will be that cheap I will definitely order the combo you suggested to me.

How ever to prove my point to you I went on hobbyparts.com and I decided to buy screwdriver which costs 4.95 and I choses USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL in the option bar and the all of a sudden price bumped up to 29 dollars.

And that's for screwdriver imagine ordering a car or helicopter.
In the option bar of the shipping it only allows me to chose either Canada/hawai/alask... for 10 dollars or
USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL for 24 dollars shipping.

Please tell me how to order properly with out this kind of charges.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Esc Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
You most likely won't be happy with a plane/helicopter esc for a car unless you just want to go forward and don't need reverse or brakes. Plane esc's have limited brake function to stop the prop from freewheeling because it causes drag. When the stick goes all the way down it will turn on a preset brake of low medium or high (dependent on manufacturer and model), not proportional like you want on a car. The reverse is a programable function, it's either on or off. You would need a programming card or a complex process of plug battery in, listen for tones, stick up/down through tone menu and then stick up/down to changes settings. Usually it's quicker to swap two wires on a brushless system, swapping 2 of the 3 motor leads reverses the direction.

The motor link no longer works, but it sounds like the motor rpm was a mechanical failure rpm, the point at which the magnets fly off the rotor. Usually you don't have to worry about hitting that unless you are running high voltage or a it's a very high kv motor. So most esc's should handle the actual rpm that you will be running at.
Hi.Here is the motor link again;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCTIMER-2030...ht_2970wt_1037

Can you please tell me which esc will be good for it from ebay.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Feb 2004
102 Posts
The motor description in the link recommended an 18 amp speed control. I've been happy with the ones below, both are sold on ebay. In use I can't tell any difference between them but I'm not racing so I probably wouldn't notice. You may want to get a programming card, you push buttons to change settings like brake, acceleration and cutoff voltage. You can do the same thing through a 'tone' menu and your radio but it is a pain.

Are you running 2s or 3s lipo? If you are going to run 3s go with the trackstar, I saw an ezrun 18a description that said 2s only and the trackstar said 3s.

Turnigy TrackStar 18A 1/18th Scale Brushless Car ESC - search for 'TrackStar 18A'
HOBBYWING eZRun 18A - search for 'eZRun 18A'
Evil Twin is offline Find More Posts by Evil Twin
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmiser View Post
Hi.Thanks for your reply again. Wow 10 dollars is really cheap.Ok. can you please tell me which shipping option to choose after checkout online, other than UPS.

Because if the shipping will be that cheap I will definitely order the combo you suggested to me.

How ever to prove my point to you I went on hobbyparts.com and I decided to buy screwdriver which costs 4.95 and I choses USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL in the option bar and the all of a sudden price bumped up to 29 dollars.

And that's for screwdriver imagine ordering a car or helicopter.
In the option bar of the shipping it only allows me to chose either Canada/hawai/alask... for 10 dollars or
USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL for 24 dollars shipping.

Please tell me how to order properly with out this kind of charges.
You answered your own question... the bolded part is the option you want, that's the shipping option I've used with every order from them and never had an issue.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Esc Help

Quote:
You answered your own question... the bolded part is the option you want, that's the shipping option I've used with every order from them and never had an issue.
Hi.Ok lets say I go with the bolded part shipping type.How long did you order take to arrive using this way of shipping.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
The motor description in the link recommended an 18 amp speed control. I've been happy with the ones below, both are sold on ebay. In use I can't tell any difference between them but I'm not racing so I probably wouldn't notice. You may want to get a programming card, you push buttons to change settings like brake, acceleration and cutoff voltage. You can do the same thing through a 'tone' menu and your radio but it is a pain.

Are you running 2s or 3s lipo? If you are going to run 3s go with the trackstar, I saw an ezrun 18a description that said 2s only and the trackstar said 3s.

Turnigy TrackStar 18A 1/18th Scale Brushless Car ESC - search for 'TrackStar 18A'
HOBBYWING eZRun 18A - search for 'eZRun 18A'
Hi.Thank you for your suggestions.I think both are goo esc.I searched some videos on you tube and both are fast.But since I am building the mini car for the first time using non hobby grade parts and gears, I think I will go for Track star because the eZrun is more expansive and just in case I mess up I don't want to wast money.

I just have one more question can I use this programming card instead of buying special Track Star programing card to program the Track Star esc.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2169
Last edited by shmiser; Jul 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Nope, the programming cards are very specific.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
TO wparsons

Quote:
Nope, the programming cards are very specific.
Hi.Ok here is a picture i took to show you what shipping fee applies on nitrorcx.com
to buy part that costs 1.50 dollars. Shipping is 19.76 dollars.Thats just for nitrorcx.
Then who knows how much I'll be charged by Canadian post office for shipping and handling.

I still wonder how did you pay 10 dollars max for your order from Hobbyparts.

You mean you payed 10 dollars to canada post and other shipping fee to hoppyparts or you hobbyparts shipped it for free and you just payd 10 dollars to Canada post.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:29 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I don't know how to make it any clearer... I picked the $9.95 shipping option, and didn't pay a cent after that. You only get nailed with duty/handling fees from UPS, I've never had to pay Canada Post for anything sent by USPS, regardless of who sent it.

This is copied/pasted directly from my order confirmation email:

---------------------
Quantity Item
2 Gens ace LIPO 5000mAh 50C 7.4V Hardcase lipo battery pack

SubTotal: $81
Shipping and Handling: $9.95
Tax: $0
Insurance: $0
Discount: $0
Total: $90.95

It showed up within a couple weeks, and I didn't pay a cent on delivery.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:31 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
And another couple orders:

---------------------
Quantity Item
2 Gens ace 800mah 3S1P 11.1V 20C Lipo battery pack
1 T-Pro MG996R 55G High Torque Digital Servo 10kg / .20sec
4 Extra FS-GTR 3 Channel R/C Car 2.4Ghz Receiver
1 FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver

SubTotal: $91.1
Total: $101.05

Quantity Item
1 Leopard 1/10 Scale Brushless System Combo w/ Brushless Motor/ESC/ Program Card 10.0R 3930KV

SubTotal: $59.5
Discount: $2.98
Total: $66.47

Quantity Item
1 Extra FS-GTR 3 Channel R/C Car 2.4Ghz Receiver
1 FS-GT2 2.4G 2CH Gun Transmitter w/ 3 Channel Reciever (Black Version)

SubTotal: $27.1
Total: $37.05