Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
115 Posts
Discussion
Mugi Evo question

Hi spad fans,

I've just build a standard sized Mugi Evo
http://www.mugi.co.uk/evo_intro.php
but somehow missed that its recommended to use 2mm corflute. I've used the 3mm I had to hand. Is this a big issue? Anyone else there flown standard sized Mugi's made from 3mm corflute?

I realise this will increase wing loading. I'm planning to put a 350W motor on it though so I think it should fly ok, just a bit faster & harder to launch than standard, right?

http://tinyurl.com/7lqrpt3

If I need to scale up my next build to keep using the 3mm flute, how much should I increase it by? 25%? Thanks.
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2011
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_robinson View Post
I've used the 3mm I had to hand. Is this a big issue?
I can answer that question myself - not really, if you put enough of a power plant on it. Flew it this morning and apart from difficulty with CofG (3mm at standard dimensions means there's even less room to stuff batteries in the wing cavity) it flies great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_robinson View Post

I realise this will increase wing loading. I'm planning to put a 350W motor on it though so I think it should fly ok, just a bit faster & harder to launch than standard, right?
The answer to that is yes - it is a bit tricky to launch. Worried about the weight and impatient to test this thing I transferred my hot power setup from the Hobbyking Parkjet across - 2632-3400kv with 45A Trust ESC, 5x5 prop. Overhead method failed badly, its just too heavy. A steady discus launch is how I got it flying though as you will see in the video if you get the release wrong it tends to roll over onto its back quite easy. Once airborne this plane flies really well and quick! I'm going to build another version at larger dimensions though as getting the CofG right with the small one is very tricky, and I have stacks of corflute!

I shot video of the flights this morning, will post a link when I've uploaded.
Last edited by graeme_robinson; Apr 05, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:59 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Just fling it like Dave McD does his PBFs and then kick it! LOL Just gotta get it oriented REAL quick once you kick it. If you've never seen his PBF videos you oughta check them out.... COMPLETELY different airplane but funny watching him launch his planes.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:31 PM
Watch This!
United States, LA, Washington
Joined Feb 2007
122 Posts
I have built a couple of them out of 3mm. and they do fly great, and they are a little hairy to launch.... A few pages back on " Let's see the Spads" you can see the last version a "Mod'd Mugi"... I had to add a nose/cockpit to house the battery to get the CG right.....
Corocrumpler is offline Find More Posts by Corocrumpler
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corocrumpler View Post
I have built a couple of them out of 3mm. and they do fly great, and they are a little hairy to launch.... A few pages back on " Let's see the Spads" you can see the last version a "Mod'd Mugi"... I had to add a nose/cockpit to house the battery to get the CG right.....
thanks - I will take a look at it. I also built a 120% sized Mugi on the weekend and flew that as well. I think I prefer the hard and fast standard sized one, notwithstanding the cramped battery compartment.

Video of the standard sized maiden here:

Mugi Evo maiden flights (7 min 21 sec)

video of the 120% version here starting at 6'14" in:

Flying with friends (20 min 25 sec)