HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:41 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Thank You GER87
Several options in there I handn't heard of previously. Sharing the knowledge and product helps everyone's cause. The more product around, the more everyone can "Develop"

Yes, KB does have the Sterne Masts, as well as Mandrels, so he has the ability to make more. They aren't as stiff as what some people are using, particularly in Europe, and can't handle a stay-less rig. But I have several, and I'm very happy with them.
Like anything else I guess it matters what or where you are sailing. You can get a KB mast for like $150 domestically. I haven't priced the Bantock masts, but would make a blind wager they'll cost more than that to import.
Your call I guess.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:49 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
679 Posts
Ebay M

Not mine, just information sharing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Marblehea...item3f3f02c128
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Another Here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271639142835...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And a Tippecanoe T-50 Marblehead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tippecanoe-r...40084776&rt=nc

And here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50-R...D271639142835\

They are all Marbleheads.
Last edited by breakwater; Oct 19, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:48 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,260 Posts
#1 from Breakwater - this is the same boat Jay has for sale in AMYA Classifieds. Any comments/observations about it's performance?
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
Looks like a Viper +. The viper works pretty well here in CO, but we sail in drifting conditions. Mine was usually up front, also sailed well as a 10R. I think Breakwater also sails a viper, so he may be able to comment how they work at Redds pond. Mine is too deep to sail there, but some had shorter keels.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Yes, it is a Viper. And yes, I do have several Marbleheads, One of which is a Viper.
They go like Mad-

I'm sailing mine with the Sterne "Standard" fin at 16 3/4" when measured from the bottom of the boat to the top of the lead- with the "light" bulb.. (Keel & Bulb weight a total of 6.75lbs.) Although I have longer fins for the boat, I've found this one to have the best all-around performance for the boat giving it good "pop" and balance in various situations.

Some might not agree, but I am a firm believer that a boat should carry just 1 Fin.. The right one...
Considering that you can only enter one in a regatta, there's no sense to bring multiple to a pond and confuse yourself, subjecting to the Marblehead analysis paralysis syndrome. If the boat goes better with one than the other... move the lesser into another project, and focus above deck. Leave your pond-side thinking to which rig to use.

So, after settling on the keel, I focused on the Rigs, Using an A-swing originally from the boat, and building a conventional A that Sterne never designed for it. I found that the A-Conventional is my favorite, and really doesnt give up much of anything to the swing rigs except in the lightest of air. From there I also have a B. The local conditions are such that if the wind goes over something like 18 it starts going haywire, and you basically can't sail it it anyway... So I don't have a C-Rig constructed.... Although I do have sails for it, and would put one together if we started sailing in a venue that warranted it.

The Vipers are good boats. It would be nice to see someone pick that up and get the class started. The asking price seems a little stiff, but I am not the Alan Greenspan of the class. I'd have no hesitations rolling this out in a Regatta. She may not come in first, but she'll be far from last.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Well, at the end of August Redds Pond was nearly a Sahara....
But the last storm just dumped over 6" of Rain in Beverly, M.A. YIKES!

Time to start sailing Ms again.

I think the next one should be called the "Refill Regatta"