SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:34 AM
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Discussion
Rocket with gps/waypoints and mutch more..

Hey guys,
im thinking of using a multicopter control board (in name Mikrokopter) with special firmware to stabilize (mems gyros) and control a rocket.
it will be able to fly to gps set 3d waypoints, and return to home.
elektroniks and software is no problem.
BUT
i have never build a rocket (weight of the elektroniks will be 180g without servos for the control surfaces). i think hard motors are not the right thing for me i need more range. are there rc fluid rockets ? if anyone can help me that would be great.

sorry for my bad englisch
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:20 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
924 Posts
Sport Rocketry- May/June 2011

Check out May/June Sport Rocketry 2011

Mutch=Much

elektroniks=electronics

englisch=english

Not too bad!
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:00 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,302 Posts
Don't know what country you're in, but in the US & Canada any sort of guidance like you're describing is very illegal. FYI
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Sep 2005
140 Posts
Try one thing at time. There are plenty of larger solid rocket motors to try. What experience do you have?
clipper is online now Find More Posts by clipper
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:02 AM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Jun 2011
35 Posts
Sorry to resurrect old thread:

CF105: Where does it say that guidance is illegal? I can find organizations rules that don't allow for rockets with guidance but I can't find an FAA document that says so (didn't check Canada). Could you provide a link?

Thanks!
hucker is offline Find More Posts by hucker
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
If you build it, they will come.
GEARBOX22 is offline Find More Posts by GEARBOX22
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:02 PM
Builder of flying things
United States, TX, Blackwell
Joined Dec 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucker View Post

CF105: Where does it say that guidance is illegal? I can find organizations rules that don't allow for rockets with guidance but I can't find an FAA document that says so (didn't check Canada). Could you provide a link?

Thanks!

You're kidding right? You don't need a link! Common sense is the only link you need....

An individual builds a rocket with guidance to go from launch point A to target B.....come on.....really? Ask yourself, why would any private citizen want to build a guided rocket. Homeland security will be asking the same question.

There is a reason why the rocketry organizations don't allow it. If an individual could build a guided rocket without restrictions, so could someone with "not so pure" intentions.

Active stabilization is a different story....

JimB.
TRA 10883 L3

Sorry for being so passionate about this subject, no disrespect intended.
fyrechaser is offline Find More Posts by fyrechaser
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fyrechaser; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: thought of something else
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:53 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
Fortunately in a free country, you do need it in writing. If there isn't a specific law banning an action it isn't illegal. I've tried to find a law myself, because so many people ask but can't locate one. I'm not condoning the building of a missile by anyone. It's definately bad for our entire hobby. I beleive if you have a few people building guided missles the opponents of fun will quickly make all model rocketry illegal.

You can not however, assume something is illegal because it's a bad idea. If someone knows the law, I hope to see it posted.

Thanks.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:30 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
About the closest I can find is:

NFA TITLE 27 CFR CHAPTER II
PART 479—MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN
OTHER FIREARMS

479.11 any rocket having a propellent charge greater than 4oz that can be used or assembled into a weapon is defined as a destructive device and falls under the National Firearms Act.

-- If it is designed to home in on a target or waypoint it will be easy to argue it could be used as or assembled into a weapon.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:00 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucker View Post

Thanks!
Not familiar with the details of US law (being a Canuck & all...), but have heard/read about it plenty of times from NAR and TRA members. Besides... if word got out you were working on something like this (this is a public, online forum...)... how many gov't agencies would you attract (FAA, BATFE, FBI, HSA, who knows what else?)? No one needs that kind of grief, and our hobby *really* doesn't need that kind of publicity.

On the Canadian side, this from the "Requirements for Launching High-Power rockets in Canada", from Transport Canada:

Quote:
9.11. No person shall launch a high power
rocket horizontally, or at an angle
that takes the rocket beyond the
boundary of the launch site in the
event of a recovery system failure
resulting in “ballistic recovery”.
9.12. No person shall launch a high power
rocket as a weapon at a surface or air
target.
9.13. No person shall launch a high power
rocket that creates a hazard to
aircraft.

Also this:

11.1. Launches shall be conducted in an
area and manner that will not create a
hazard to persons or property.
Now, if you're talking about some sort of GPS guidance for the parachute recovery phase, that's one thing. But if you're talking about guiding the rocket during boost or coast, forget it. The exception is if the guidance is to help keep the rocket vertical; in Canada at least, that *is* allowed.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105