HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:22 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,750 Posts
Very cool idea. I will start looking for a dish, I am certain my dad has a few spares. It is amazing how disposable they have become over the last few years.

Lets say it has 23db gain, what can I expect as far as 'cone of vision'?
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:35 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
At 23db, you're lloking at 10-12 degrees. It's pretty narrow. However if you can fly a fairly straight line and pay attention to your azimuth you'll run out of battery well before you hit the end of your video range.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
Huntsville, AL
Joined Nov 2009
134 Posts
Are you using a low pass filter between the Vtx and antenna with this setup or do you still get that clean of video without the filter. Also Alex, wasn't sure if you got my last few messages. Not sure why it won't let me send PMs and I'm not sure the link to email you is working all the time either. If you could, email me at sallis.chris@gmail.com so we can continue our discussion. Thanks again!
crash821 is offline Find More Posts by crash821
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:55 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
50 or 75 ohm?

OK I have got some memory wire and have started to bend.
I suddenly have to ask. If the equipment that we use is sometimes classed as CCTV and this is 75ohm.
But the other bits are 50ohm.
What cable and plugs should I be useing, 50ohm or 75ohm?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:30 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
75ohm is only for the video out, at the tx and rx antennae it's 50ohm. Something like RG58 would work fine
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:57 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
75ohm is only for the video out, at the tx and rx antennae it's 50ohm. Something like RG58 would work fine
Thanks for that.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:05 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I've found that it's just as cheap and much easier to buy something like this and just chop off the other connector that you don't need. That way you have the sma connector already mounted to the right sort of cable. Otherwise you have to get a special crimp tool for the sma connector and by the time you buy a sma plug and a bit of cable from Maplin it works out the same price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMA-plug-UHF-j...item45f2cd0b6e
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Thank you IBCrazy for your great tips. Today I built my first homebrew antenna.
A CL for 2.4ghz.

I installed it on my cheapo (free) 10mw airwave transmitter from my trimersion headsets.

With the regular whip I would get grainy video after 1km max 1.2km.

I tested this and the graining begins at 2km , that's out of a 10 - 12mw tx.

I am sure I didn't do it perfectly because I have a 4-5mm gap between the feedpoint and ground, and It's working so well. I am still using a stock whip antenna on the receiver. I should try and use one of these on the RX unit as well and see what happens.
do you advise against using expanding foam to make a small dome to encapsulate the antenna?

Here is a pic of my little antenna:
MarcAntonio is offline Find More Posts by MarcAntonio
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:46 AM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,047 Posts
My cloverleaf:
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:53 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Ok I am having a dense moment. Is the center conductor supposed to be shorted to the ground conductor with each element? Thats what it looks like is happening in the pictures, but that can't be right, can it?
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:34 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Bergen
Joined Feb 2009
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volto View Post
Ok I am having a dense moment. Is the center conductor supposed to be shorted to the ground conductor with each element? Thats what it looks like is happening in the pictures, but that can't be right, can it?
Its only a short for DC and low frequency.
For the high frequency we use on the video transmitters (900MHz to 5.8GHz), when built in the right dimensions, its a good match to the video transmitters output impedance of 50ohm (and the receivers input impedance).
So while the DC resistance is close to 0ohm, the high frequency impedance is close to 50ohm at the tuned frequency.

Megafluffy
Megafluffy is offline Find More Posts by Megafluffy
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:46 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2010
97 Posts
Hi Alex, very useful post as always....
Started building two of them, one for a small multirotor and one for the ground station bridge/repeater to my fatshark, using 5.8 ghz video tx.

Any suggestion for this frequency, should i be very precise with this?
It's ok to use steel/iron wire instead of copper?
Feeding it directly to the the sma connectors (like hugeone did in the photo) can cause problems?

What's the best match on the receiver side (fastshark googles) for one of this on the air/ground? (keep in mind it must be small and light not to bother when you wear the googles)
jhoexp is offline Find More Posts by jhoexp
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:00 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAntonio View Post
Thank you IBCrazy for your great tips. Today I built my first homebrew antenna.
A CL for 2.4ghz.

I installed it on my cheapo (free) 10mw airwave transmitter from my trimersion headsets.

With the regular whip I would get grainy video after 1km max 1.2km.

I tested this and the graining begins at 2km , that's out of a 10 - 12mw tx.

I am sure I didn't do it perfectly because I have a 4-5mm gap between the feedpoint and ground, and It's working so well. I am still using a stock whip antenna on the receiver. I should try and use one of these on the RX unit as well and see what happens.
do you advise against using expanding foam to make a small dome to encapsulate the antenna?

Here is a pic of my little antenna:
That is an awesome result, will have to try one when my 2.4 ghz gear turns up, my be a bit draggy at 1 ghz.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:01 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
My cloverleaf:
Excellent clear picture, makes it very easy to understand how they go together.

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me Megafluffy, makes sense now. I just built a vee and ground plane antenna, but this is next on the build list, I just had trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that this antenna is shorted together. =)
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto