HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:38 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk View Post
Saucisse, I think your going to love it. They make great FPV planes!
I've seen the videos you posted on this topic. Did you have time to make more?
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:26 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I haven't had time to do hardly any flying lately. The weather heats up and everybody needs something. I'm not complaining of course.

I have several projects and one of those is to add OSD and Dragon Link to my Reaper. I had hopped to have it done last week but it got set a side to build slow sticks for some local customers but it won't be long, it will be back in the air and traveling to new heights.
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,156 Posts
I've gotten several questions from GR flyers asking how people are mounting their heavier cameras on a flying wing. The Keychain cameras are easy but what hardware are you using for mounting bigger cameras?

Please post pictures if you will.

Thanks

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Slope Reaper

Hi,
Great Info on building a GR, about to start work

What should the target weight for a non combat sloper Reaper be? I'd love to try combat but it would mean my flying 2 wings at once~~~??~~~No!

Should I fit a small? motor to save a walk down the cliff?
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Hi Guys!
Last few days I have been hectically searching for plans to build an EPP flying wing; around 40" to 50" wing span. All in vain.
Can any one of you please help me with the design ie wing span, what profile to use, how much wing sweep, chord & thickness, prop / motor size, LiPo capacity, what charger etc. etc.
I live in Abu Dhabi-UAE, here we do not have any foam cutting facility. I may have to cut / sand the EPP myself.Therefore I may need all that guidance / support too from you, kindly.
Sincerely,
jawadmalik
jawadmalik is offline Find More Posts by jawadmalik
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:32 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,156 Posts
How well do you fly? What other planes have your built? What motors do you want to use and what kind of foam do you have access to?

Presently we are using 4 different airfoils in our marketed planes and some of the planes like the Scythe have been cut with 4 different sweep angles. We have the Roswell with a symmetrical wing, the Scythe with a thin wing, the Titan with a long fat airfoil, the Assassin with a shorter finless fat design, and the Reaper with a low drag high lift airfoil and the Snowball that has a flatfoam wing. Some of our kits have over 20 prototypes before they go on the market. Only in rare cases do the prototypes not fly at all. Our next plane will have over 40 prototype cuts before it's release.

If you are interested in trying your hand at scratch building, look at what Steve in the Philippines has done with the KF airfoil. He has done quite a few planes out of white bead foam because he can't get the EPP and he has not had a foam cutter.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117276

In most cases it is cheaper and you get a better plane and you know what you are going to get if you buy a kit. We shipped a Grim Reaper over there and it cost about $37 USD for shipping. If you don't have the foam there it will cost you as much to get the foam there as it will to get a kit there, in fact it will cost more because you have all of the foam not just the plane parts.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jul 22, 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:53 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
I want to get a Grim Reaper as my next GoPro FPV platform, not for combat.

I'm just concerned will the EPP elevons be stiff enough for that heavy an airplane. Why not balsa elevons, like Ritewing does?
Also the wrapping tape is not included, what is the best tape to use and how much of it to buy.

I would hot glue the GoPro shoe to my wing. Then I can snap on and off easily.

I have been flying Zagi, Funjet.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,156 Posts
The best tape is the Scotch Extreme tape that can be purchased at many stores like Rite Aid, Lowes, Staples, and other office supply stores.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCUQ8wIwAA#

http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Extrem...product_448960

The EPP elevons, when built like the instructions say, are much stronger than the balsa. I've never broken one and if you see the way I fly in combat you would be surprised. The other advantage that the EPP elevons provide is the hinges don't tear, which happens all of the time with the balsa and basswood in combat or collision.

The difference in the flexibility of a foam wing and the wood elevon puts stress on the hinge line and rips the hinges. It isn't a problem with the EPP elevons. I have had more than a hundred planes with wood elevons and I won't go back now I have used the EPP elevons.

At least try them. If you don't like them it is easy to replace them with wood elevons later.

Last edited by Lee; Jul 23, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:40 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Thanks Lee.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:17 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Hi Lee,

I just placed an order for a GR.

This motor is the 30-35 1700 kv?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=3885

Is it still suitable if I'm loading it up with 300 g payload? AUW 1.4 kg at least.

Etman
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
6. Tie the Front Spars Together on the Titan and Grim Reaper

1. The front spars come together at an angle in the middle of the plane. The front spars in the right and left wing halves need to be tied together on the top and the bottom in the middle of the wing to keep them from separating during higher "G" force maneuvers.
2. Prior to gluing in the spars into the foam, put two 6" strands of the shock cord material across the center line of the wing halves in the spar slot to tie the two wing halves together.
3. Bend two 6" wires (one for the top of the wing and one for the bottom) to match the spar angles, press them into the spar slots and glue them in with the spars. The wires are more rigid than the shock cord and add to the strength the shock cord provides.
4. The top and bottom center spars work together to create strength. across the middle of the plane. They also need to be positioned directly over each other. They need to be fitted tightly to the front spar system top and bottom and some recommend tying them to the front spars with small pieces of the shock cord.
5. After the spars are in place and the glue has cooled, cured or dried, bend the wing and see if it is strong enough to not flutter in flight.
6. The wing will be stronger and flex less after the tape, laminate and elevons are installed.

I still confused on how to tie the spars together. Please post some pictures on it. Thanks.

Another question: Should all equipment should be installed inside the "A" of the spars? Not outside of it?
Because if I put a GoPro on it, it will be at the nose and likely outside of the "A".
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:31 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
I still confused on how to tie the spars together. Please post some pictures on it. Thanks.

Another question: Should all equipment should be installed inside the "A" of the spars? Not outside of it?
Because if I put a GoPro on it, it will be at the nose and likely outside of the "A".
The 6 spar system is strong enough you can install the radio where ever you want as long as you don't cut the spars or leave open holes in the wing. Your GoPro needs a solid anchor but the plane is strong and can handle it.

Tying the spars together is simply a way to keep the spars from moving separately when the wing is under stress. I tend to overkill the situation after we had a few wings break in flight. None of the new Titans or Reapers have broken the fiberglass rods, that I am aware of, even in hard hits at high speeds since we went to the 6 spar system.

The instructions you posted tell it as good as I could repeat it here. I realize a video may help and will see what I can do.

Last edited by Lee; Jul 24, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:48 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:43 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I messed up on one part of the spar installation I didn't understand and wasn't familiar with. I think it's obvious to many but I'd never built a combat wing before. Basically, I failed to insert a bent rod into the ends of each spar (only on the nose section) to "tie" them together. I know this is illustrated elsewhere on RCG but it could take awhile for me to find the pics again.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
I messed up on one part of the spar installation I didn't understand and wasn't familiar with. I think it's obvious to many but I'd never built a combat wing before. Basically, I failed to insert a bent rod into the ends of each spar (only on the nose section) to "tie" them together. I know this is illustrated elsewhere on RCG but it could take awhile for me to find the pics again.
The plane will most likely be OK without the reinforcement. (Famous last words) You can go back and add the reinforcement after the plane is done if you want. Take a razor blade and make a small slit along the joint and glue in the reinforcement rod after the plane is built and put a piece of laminate over the top. If you do it right you can't even see it.