HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Discussion
Soldering experts please

I landed my 5G6 in water a month or so back. The receiver didn't work, I cut the lead in half and replaced the connector by soldering wires together, like I had to on my original heli.

The thing is, for some reason the connection is poor, and the heli lasts maybe half a minute in the sky. If I tighten it it seems to work better for a while but then it always ends up the same.

The new receivers on ebay are like 30 pounds (60 dollars). Is there a better way to get a good connection, is there a specific soldering technique?

It seems the connection is just too poor even though it is solidly soldered and looks fine.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:21 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbaba
I landed my 5G6 in water a month or so back. The receiver didn't work, I cut the lead in half and replaced the connector by soldering wires together, like I had to on my original heli.

The thing is, for some reason the connection is poor, and the heli lasts maybe half a minute in the sky. If I tighten it it seems to work better for a while but then it always ends up the same.

The new receivers on ebay are like 30 pounds (60 dollars). Is there a better way to get a good connection, is there a specific soldering technique?

It seems the connection is just too poor even though it is solidly soldered and looks fine.
It sounds like you may have something shorting out and overloading the circuit. Due to everything getting wet.. How long did you dry/wait before you tried powering it up after the swim?
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:00 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
sounds like the lipo got shorted out in the water

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:29 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Left it a few hours after drying it off.

I think this issue is more with the connection, as it happens with both receivers, even on different batteries.

I'm going to try new batteries anyway, see if there is a change.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:46 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Left it a few hours after drying it off.

I think this issue is more with the connection, as it happens with both receivers, even on different batteries.

I'm going to try new batteries anyway, see if there is a change.
On my CX2 I had to replace a servo and the 3 n 1 after one of it's swims.. On the S300 just blow drying it off good and letting it set in the sun a day worked..

The cost of flying over water wasn't worth the fun will not really fun as I was always worried when flying it.. The CX2 did look neat with the floats.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Sep 18, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:37 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Haha, the little heli looks funny too.

Yeah, my stock battery seems to work for the full 5 minutes.

The two 20c batteries and the 500mah one, don't seem to work. Odd.

It can't be those batteries though, as they usually work fine, doubt they'd all go at the same time. Weird that stock 400mah works fine.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:36 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I've had a couple water landings....It takes longer than you might think for components to dry. For me 2 days.
How are your leads into the rx? There's only 7 strands in these wires and they get fatigued with repeated bending and start breaking.
I use micro deans for batt connections.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:05 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Hi, the leads in the rx, I can't see because of all the glue, I might take the spare rx and see if there is any damage, cheers.

For now I will march on with the old receivers, untill I can affords a new one.

well, i could afford one at a stretch but nobody sells my old version for a reasonable price, shame I can't get my hands on a second hand one, I would pay a fair price, too.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:13 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,364 Posts
Quote:
Hi, the leads in the rx, I can't see because of all the glue, I might take the spare rx and see if there is any damage, cheers.

For now I will march on with the old receivers, untill I can affords a new one.

well, i could afford one at a stretch but nobody sells my old version for a reasonable price, shame I can't get my hands on a second hand one, I would pay a fair price, too.

What is your EXACT older version?
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:18 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Hi, my exact version heli? The heli is original 5G6. The receiver is 35mhz, RX412.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Sometimes mineral deposits from a water dunking form on a PCB board that can cause circuit problems. The sooner you remove the battery after this happens, the more likely you will succeed in saving it. After that then use some rubbing alcohol or even better some electronic contact cleaner spray. Such as http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop.../crc/02130.htm or similar. Gently rub with a toothbrush. Use a hair dryer to completely dry it off. I've had several successes with Rx's and flight control boards by doing this. If you have not done this since you dunking, give this board cleaning a try and see if it helps.
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:26 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I only intend to dunk cookies from now on.

Today I took a nice thick lead from my spare charger, cut it off, soldered it to the receiver, then clamped metal over the soldering. Thus far it has worked on one of the 20c batteries, which is a good sign.

Hopefully the dunking effects all gone, but thanks for the info.