New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by Ton23031957
Joined May 2015
2 Posts
Wookong M gain values

Hi,

I am building a dji F550 with extended arms and dji e600 motors. The diagonal wheelbase is 65 cm. The total weight will be 2.8 kg. The FC is a Wookong M with the latest firmware. What are good gain values for the Wookong M to start with?
Ton23031957 is offline Find More Posts by Ton23031957
Last edited by Ton23031957; May 05, 2015 at 05:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2015, 06:07 AM
Find More Posts by GroundHogDay
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton23031957 View Post
Hi,

I am building a dji F550 with extended arms and dji e600 motors. The diagonal wheelbase is 65 cm. The total weight will be 2.8 kg. The FC is a Wookong M with the latest firmware. What are good gain values for the Wookong M to start with?
My Streached F550 has the WKM and e600 installed, I will fire it up and get you my gains, mine weights in at 3.7kg, flies fine.
GroundHogDay is offline Find More Posts by GroundHogDay
Old May 05, 2015, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by modular46
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
I have a new Wookong system that I installed and setup and it flies nice. I use 5.20 firmware as I believe its truly the last reliable firmware. It flies very smooth and stable in GPS, ATTI and manual modes. I have been reading and researching how to properly setup the failsafe correctly. I have set it up so that when my radio powers off, it does go to fail safe in the U channel. I also have selected altitude go home and 50 meters selected. My question and concern is about inconsistencies about a throttle value needing to be stored in the radio or not. Some people believe that you do not need to store any throttle value and that the flight control system just automatically will know how to land. Some people believe you need to manually store and program your radio with a throttle value of less than what your normal hover throttle is. Some people believe that if you don't store a value into it that it will use a value of 0 and throttle will essentially cut off when it tries to land. So the opinions vary and the Wookong user guide is not specific about the proper procedure.

With all that said I am very confused. After reading everything so far I would draw the conclusion based on my assumption that you do indeed need to set the fail safe throttle value in the radio because every copter will be different as far as the amount of throttle required to hover because this is based on motor-prop choice and payload.

Now with that said, if this is true I don't know how programming the value into the radio makes any difference because when the radio is shut off or loses connection with the RX the value in the radio is meaningless. So I ask this question, if you do need to store a fail safe throttle value into the radio upon binding, does that mean it stores this value into the RX so that if the RX loses the TX's signal it will give the wookong the appropriate throttle value? What happens if you don't program a value would it just use a default of 50% or 0%?

Any help is very much appreciated. I have a very good flyer and do not want to crash a very good working copter.

Thanks in advance.

Dave King
modular46 is offline Find More Posts by modular46
Old May 05, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by badbill
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,389 Posts
Dave,
I will preface this- I ONLY fly JR/Spektrum 2.4 DSMX. I always bind so that I have a failsafe throttle setting of 50%. It works perfect. Now with that said, in the early days ( I am pretty sure I was one of the first ) I did some RTH without having it set at that, and it worked fine that way also. It is recommended that you set your failsafe at 50%, and it can't hurt.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by cbergen
Joined Jun 2004
168 Posts
PM Answered Damefly...
cbergen is offline Find More Posts by cbergen
Old May 05, 2015, 04:28 PM
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton23031957 View Post
Hi,

See the photo, hope it helps, cheers.
Last edited by GroundHogDay; May 05, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 05, 2015, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modular46 View Post
I have a new Wookong system that I installed and setup and it flies nice. I use 5.20 firmware as I believe its truly the last reliable firmware. It flies very smooth and stable in GPS, ATTI and manual modes. I have been reading and researching how to properly setup the failsafe correctly. I have set it up so that when my radio powers off, it does go to fail safe in the U channel. I also have selected altitude go home and 50 meters selected. My question and concern is about inconsistencies about a throttle value needing to be stored in the radio or not. Some people believe that you do not need to store any throttle value and that the flight control system just automatically will know how to land. Some people believe you need to manually store and program your radio with a throttle value of less than what your normal hover throttle is. Some people believe that if you don't store a value into it that it will use a value of 0 and throttle will essentially cut off when it tries to land. So the opinions vary and the Wookong user guide is not specific about the proper procedure.

With all that said I am very confused. After reading everything so far I would draw the conclusion based on my assumption that you do indeed need to set the fail safe throttle value in the radio because every copter will be different as far as the amount of throttle required to hover because this is based on motor-prop choice and payload.

Now with that said, if this is true I don't know how programming the value into the radio makes any difference because when the radio is shut off or loses connection with the RX the value in the radio is meaningless. So I ask this question, if you do need to store a fail safe throttle value into the radio upon binding, does that mean it stores this value into the RX so that if the RX loses the TX's signal it will give the wookong the appropriate throttle value? What happens if you don't program a value would it just use a default of 50% or 0%?

Any help is very much appreciated. I have a very good flyer and do not want to crash a very good working copter.

Thanks in advance.

Dave King

Hi Dave, I use a futaba with my wookong, never set any throttle, also I have naza v2 and A2, same deal with those controllers. No need to set it, the controller does its own throttle in FS
Old May 05, 2015, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by Ton23031957
Joined May 2015
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHogDay View Post
See the photo, hope it helps, cheers.
Thank you very much!
Ton23031957 is offline Find More Posts by Ton23031957
Old May 06, 2015, 01:41 AM
Find More Posts by phil222
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2012
238 Posts
0% or 50% both work. I play safe and set the throttle to just under mid stick (hover) so if anything went wrong and it reverted to the programmed throttle setting it would be in a gentle decent.

The important thing is to remember not to lower the throttle stick once you have entered failsafe. And if you want to abort a failsafe you have to flick the swich out of failsafe and then toggle the mode switch from gps to atti and back to gps before the rth function will abort.
phil222 is offline Find More Posts by phil222
Old May 09, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by racermark
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2013
756 Posts
OK
I have finally got my F550 setup like I want it and the Wookong M mounted with the gps and IMU mounted dead center.
Is ther no way to calibrate the IMU?
it seems a tiny bit off and I want to calibrate it.

Mark
racermark is offline Find More Posts by racermark
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2015, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
13,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermark View Post
OK
I have finally got my F550 setup like I want it and the Wookong M mounted with the gps and IMU mounted dead center.
Is ther no way to calibrate the IMU?
it seems a tiny bit off and I want to calibrate it.

Mark
Mark, with the WKM there is no way to calibrate the IMU.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Tradecraft Case for the Inspire
Old May 20, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by paktazh
Joined May 2012
706 Posts
Helloo Everyone I build a hexa with Woong M using RC timer ESC and motor but the ESC are heavy is there any light weight ESC and good quality that can support up to 6s lipo

http://rctimer.com/product-848.html
http://rctimer.com/product-850.html
paktazh is offline Find More Posts by paktazh