HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
bloody efilght

I had no problem with parkzone planes but every eflight branded plane I have bought is like hobbyking and needs work to fix it... grrrrr

First the wing holders didn't line up with the screw hole in the wing if I pushed it in far enough to line the holes up and screw the wing in place the ailerons would be pushed up so hard against the fuselage they couldn't work.. had to re-drill holes...

Anyway that build issue solved...

When I plug the battery in sometimes I have no rudder, just no response, pump the throttle a few times and it comes to life.. OK little concerned but everything seems to work...

Fly around at half throttle and the plane is fine, at full throttle I get sudden crazy behavior, all of a sudden it is like someone is taking over control and yanking the sticks all over the place.. Pretty sure it is not my dx8 I have 20 other planes and flew a few afterwards and everything is fine, only get this behavior with the 540qq and only when it is at or near full throttle..

Another point with full throttle I lost all radio control permanently, luckily over long grass it just spiraled down and didn't get too damaged, still flys as long as I keep the throttle down, lol... Just like my eflight GeeBee which also had serious radio issues, like loss of elevator control mid flight...

What is it with eflight QC, mini minifuntanaX had build issues and the thrust angle was pointing up making it un-flyable with throttle on, put a heap of washers in to change the angle and it is a different plane... But last three eflight planes just had serious issues...

Worst issue is that HH are not in Australia, they use a distributor that couldn't give two $hits about their customers.. So we get HH pricing and Hobbyking service...

EDIT: Well testing in on bench can't replicate the crazy behavior but do get the rudder to just stop responding, reset battery rudder OK again, test surfaces for a while and rudder mysteriously stops responding.. good work HH..
jeisner is offline Find More Posts by jeisner
Last edited by jeisner; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:24 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Would anyone be interested if I made a light kit and sold it for around $40?
Would look like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...r:74,s:0,i:310
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:57 AM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeisner View Post
I had no problem with parkzone planes but every eflight branded plane I have bought is like hobbyking and needs work to fix it... grrrrr

First the wing holders didn't line up with the screw hole in the wing if I pushed it in far enough to line the holes up and screw the wing in place the ailerons would be pushed up so hard against the fuselage they couldn't work.. had to re-drill holes...

Anyway that build issue solved...

When I plug the battery in sometimes I have no rudder, just no response, pump the throttle a few times and it comes to life.. OK little concerned but everything seems to work...

Fly around at half throttle and the plane is fine, at full throttle I get sudden crazy behavior, all of a sudden it is like someone is taking over control and yanking the sticks all over the place.. Pretty sure it is not my dx8 I have 20 other planes and flew a few afterwards and everything is fine, only get this behavior with the 540qq and only when it is at or near full throttle..

Another point with full throttle I lost all radio control permanently, luckily over long grass it just spiraled down and didn't get too damaged, still flys as long as I keep the throttle down, lol... Just like my eflight GeeBee which also had serious radio issues, like loss of elevator control mid flight...

What is it with eflight QC, mini minifuntanaX had build issues and the thrust angle was pointing up making it un-flyable with throttle on, put a heap of washers in to change the angle and it is a different plane... But last three eflight planes just had serious issues...

Worst issue is that HH are not in Australia, they use a distributor that couldn't give two $hits about their customers.. So we get HH pricing and Hobbyking service...

EDIT: Well testing in on bench can't replicate the crazy behavior but do get the rudder to just stop responding, reset battery rudder OK again, test surfaces for a while and rudder mysteriously stops responding.. good work HH..
In Australia, we do get Hobbyking service but not HH pricing. I wish the prices were that good...

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:55 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
420 Posts
don't fly too low over grass

FYI, I flew a little too low over grass and snagged the tail wheel. It ripped the rudder out, actually tore the top hinge in half and pulled the bottom hinge out along with some foam.

I'm thinking of moving the tail wheel from the rudder to the fuse. I really don't think this plane needs a steerable tail wheel.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:08 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
so it seems I can't get my prop adapter to stop slipping, no matter how hard I tighten those .05 hex set screws. Would there be any problems with maybe filing down the motor shaft to make a notch for it to lock on to? or are there collet adapters small enough for this size shaft?

thanks,

Ok, finally had time to play again and found my problem. 05 hex set screws on the inner collar was loose from the factory. The whole shaft was slipping, not just the prop adater.

Quick fix, but quite annoying!

Ok, I'm over it. Maidened today and this puppy is a blast to fly. Fun power (w/ GWS 7035 prop) and plenty fast. I'd still like more elevator throw, and more rudder as well (DX8 throws are at 150%). There's more than enough aileron (I had to bring that back down to 100%). Expo is at 70% on ailerons, 40% on the elev and rudder.

Harriers are surprisingly steady. Good times all around. Fun little plane!
llbr22 is offline Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:40 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
I'd still like more elevator throw, and more rudder as well (DX8 throws are at 150%).
Get Dubro HS55 long arms. Yeehaww! The servos seem to be strong enough for the extra throw these give. http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...dproduct=10619
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:40 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Get Dubro HS55 long arms. Yeehaww! The servos seem to be strong enough for the extra throw these give. http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...dproduct=10619
Awesome, ordered, thanks!!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Awesome, ordered, thanks!!
You'll have to clip them short... use the 3rd hole in I think. There are directions back in this thread somewhere.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:30 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
You'll have to clip them short... use the 3rd hole in I think. There are directions back in this thread somewhere.
cool, thanks again. can't wait to try them out.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:02 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
The inside of the Edge 540 QQ

Just had to do a rebuild after a crash and decided to open up the old fuselage and take a look to see if I could improve anything. Here are the pics of it split in half. Let me know if you see anything we can do to improve the airframe. I would like to move the esc to the same place it is on my carbon z yak 54 but after splitting the frame I dont see how I could run the throttle control wires threw the frame
mxman311 is offline Find More Posts by mxman311
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:20 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
Nice tip about the light. I will try that on my next one. First one, I decided I'd rather have the wings as far in as they would go with the ailerons equal distance from the fuse and just hot glued the top/bottom front/back like Bobly said he did.
I have put together 2 now and both had problems putting wings on. If you just push the wing in hard and push hard on screw at same time it will thread in
mxman311 is offline Find More Posts by mxman311
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:23 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
So I got the replacement motor today, the problem is solved Charging the battery now, got long arms on the tail surfaces and am ready to fly.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:25 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
So I got the replacement motor today, the problem is solved Charging the battery now, got long arms on the tail surfaces and am ready to fly.
Woot!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:28 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,512 Posts
edgeqq 540 tight backyard flying (5 min 5 sec)
WIND was kicking up in yard,SO a couple of OH NO moments ,,plane ok after UNEXPETED landing
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Last edited by dalecheek1; Feb 06, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
E Flite - argh!!

I bought myself an Edge 540 qq from a local store that had one in stock, I had noticed they were on back-order on the Horizon website.. I was kind of expectant of a really nicely presented kit what with E Flite being so high profile thru their extensive distribution through LHS's.
I'd just built - ie assembled - a bunch of HobbyKing birds plus a couple from Banana Hobby so I was expecting this to be a doddle - in fact I very nearly headed straight to my flying field from the model shop!
Back home I assembled the wings and fiddled a bit with alignment of one of the tiny screws.. I used a ''podger'' to encourage everything to line up.
I got my DX6i and adapted the bind plug by shifting over one terminal & put that onto the spektrum rx in the 540qq - I got it bound and checked servos.. yep! Then I checked the motor.. nothing! I diagnosed the problem as a faulty ESC so I replaced it with a 12 amp I had laying around. All good, so I set up a model in the DX with the recommended rates & expos.
I then noticed the tailplane was somewhat crooked.. fiddled a bit with the delicate foam surfaces (yes this IS a micro..) and straightened it with the help of some hot breathing! I then had to disconnect the elev servo horn and equalise the elevator angles.. Hmmm..
Right - off to the field. I only had a pair of 180 mah 3s lipos so I installed them both, CG'd her and added 8g (a quarter) in the spinner. I weighed the airframe with the 2 lipos in - 232 grams. CG was 41mm from the L.E.
Hand launched at 60% throttle, she climbed and then settled into a slightly diving trim.. added some up elev.. glanced down & up to see then recover her about 20" from the deck - woah.. I landed her onto grass under a touch of power and was pleased she was a cinch to bring down. Added some physical up ele and relaunched , better now I thought.. I flew a few circuits and a couple rolls on low rate and had another go at a landing.. same nice manners and a very slow stall speed in the dead calm conditions I maidened in.
Verdict - nice design, nice box - shame about the QC or lack of it.
Gonna order some 500 3s and a better prop.
BillyWhiz is offline Find More Posts by BillyWhiz
Last edited by BillyWhiz; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: :-)