SkyFun w/ power LEDs (2 min 30 sec)

SkyFun flying wing FPV (1 min 0 sec)
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:49 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Wow amazing setup! I saw on your website doesn't look like yours, is it comes with the current long board? Is it still 50mw instead of 1W UHF? Thanks
Projectz is offline Find More Posts by Projectz
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:23 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
my website wasn't updated for almost year.
there are 6 versions of PCB. Latest long one (power-pod) incredibly practical, yesterdayI flew some 8packs, day and night. Feels good knowing that little plane inearly impossible to loose because of integrated RF beacon with charger, various tones such as low.batt, low RSSI, nunchuck key press etc. mixed with regulated gain microphone this way I hear wind and alarms, no need for OSD.If I forhet to activate backup cell for the beacon audio channel and onboard buzzer keep beeping. My GS takkes half room in smal backpack - that's portable and plane w/o 3S Li-Po only 340g. With simple antennas and without repeater just 50mW nunchuck I'm confident flying radius of 1.5-2km
Powerpods don't come with 1w modules but I can have whatever RX placed near GS as repeater, the function is built-into every RX. In the next couple days I'll finish PPM-in so every RX will have as well TX function without nunchuck - connect any normal controller.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:42 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Sorry my ignorant but what is GS, if i want to setup like your, what do i need to buy? Long pcb, rf beacon, repeater and a modified nunchuck? Is the pcd integratedith motor mount? What is your motor setup? kV? Thanks
Projectz is offline Find More Posts by Projectz
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
sorry it took so long !
one can fly plane fitted with new powerpod or normal RX controlling using Nunchuck or normal transmitter (PPM), if using normal TX you have to have 2nd UlinkRX and configure it as TX (every RX can be used as TX or repeater)
Powerpods normally fitted with this motor
complete set (nunchuck + powerpod +LEDs +FPV pod Sony 700tvl CCD) ~$500, PM if interested

my latest wing was built few days ago, it flew without trims anf powerpd/stabilization also carefree
new wing
new FPV SkyFun (2 min 15 sec)

videolink record, note good audio/regulated microphone
new skyfun FPV ground recording (3 min 23 sec)

onboard record
sf f20 (0 min 47 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
So my little wing started to look bad and heavy. So I cut it and made a true fmkit wing
I also expect to gain some stability, haven't tried it yet hehe.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
that's interesting ! have you glued carbon spars already ? if you keep 77mm center to center spacing than you'll be able to use power-pod and new power-LED / FPV pods, I have not posted pictures or description yet. These are 29x90mm PCBs that easily hooked or removed as needed. Power-LED pod is 10w RGB w/PWM control, temperature protected, with noise activation and light sensor for all automatic operation even without connection to RX. FPV-pod based on AWM633 0.5w TX module, tilt servo and AGC microphone, all pods do not affect CG and behind-front spar camera helps to protect camera+servo (survived all crashes!)
While mounting motor think of near CG neutral position, looks like you have enough sweep already , raised motor on sweepless wing makes hard launches, esp. if flying in winds all neutral bisected wing is easiest to handle.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
here without cooling the smart driver automatically reduced LED power to safe level also still very bright -comparable to sunlight, under 20g complete LED-pod with audio and light sensing

10w ebay power RGB LED and 1s-3s driver (0 min 22 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
also today:
10w RGB power LED onboard 48" flying wing (0 min 57 sec)

besides planes nunchuck: is good for power scateboard
power scateboard controlled w/ Wii Nunchuck (1 min 9 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts

barebones SkyFun FPV (1 min 15 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
i glued the spars but ive enough clearance if i understood measurement correctly

the skate-nunchuck is fun

on mine ive lower power leds (the HK turnigy ones), its not nearly as bright but it works ok for night flying. also have one of your strobes which is brighter

one thing i noticed is that when the wing is opened like this, the airflow so the propeller is a lot better. the wing is EXTREMELY quiet. my trust line is straight and parallel to the wing (and in the middle of the airfoil, like i usually do for all wings

I noticed that yours have the prop generally in the same trust line, but in the middle of the wing, which certainly helps for CG, i wondered if its as efficient/louder due to the airflow on the edges? (wing internal edges)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Aug 2004
104 Posts
Peter, you keep on building unbelieveble wings and electronics.
Putting the motor in the CG is a very smart and unique? design.

Two questions..
Which of the servo's you use can withstand the constant battering of the gyro's?
And did you find any difference in sensitivity of the receiver part of the rfm 22 and the rfm23? Hope again claims -120 dBm....( not real for rfm 22 as you as pointed out one time)

Thanks,
Rienk
flymetothemoon is offline Find More Posts by flymetothemoon
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
I flew the wing and its more stable for sure at medium/high speed, even in the strong winds of the pacific. its also more prone to tip stall at low speed (at the center, well, it's logic, theres just air there )

I also noticed that my poor 2S tiny motor isn't really enough for the added drag, i gotta try on 3S later. auw is about 150gr.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:39 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post
Which of the servo's you use can withstand the constant battering of the gyro's?
Any digital servo rated 0.07s/60d will do, normally I use Corona DS919MG ($5.60) , I'm not using "rate gyros" so servos not stressed at all. Here you can see my worst wing and its elevon movements:

modular flying wing, powerpod, fpv pod (2 min 36 sec)

Quote:
And did you find any difference in sensitivity of the receiver part of the rfm 22 and the rfm23? Hope again claims -120 dBm....( not real for rfm 22 as you as pointed out one time)

Thanks,
Rienk
Couple db doesn't matter, I ground tested RFM23BP and got RSSI count of 110 at 5km ! more range than I'll ever need

btw, the modified SkyFun is still pusher - the prop is about 2" behind CG

CrashMeUp, have you tried finless wing ? I never get tip stall, wing can fly sideways
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
havent tried finless, i hope to be able to fly on 3S before its dark today. Forgot that my leds were modified for 2S, they'd burn on 3S.. ive to add some resistors and ive been lazy ;-)