HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Flying mostly micro's
BlueHavoc's Avatar
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I wacked and smacked my first 9958 something bad and never damaged a blade.
Only damage to my first 9958 is bad tail motor and have one coming. I only going to fix it because it held up to my first efforts and does fly well if given enough room. I have hit those blades many times hard and they are fine.
When the very first 9958's came off the line there was a constant problem with the ball links snapping off of the blades at almost every minor crash I'm sure many of you guys remember, myself included, the later sets of blades seem to hold up better and were less brittle. the set on my Helios reminded me very much of the first 9958 sets. The good news is the v911 blades may drop right in & they are VERY durable and not as brittle.
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
Daryoon's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,063 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for the confirmation.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
Flying mostly micro's
BlueHavoc's Avatar
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
BlueHavoc, there is a bit of contradiction in your statement. Could you clarify for us?

You initially said the Helios blade is like the Solo Pro.

And now you said you will try the v911 blade.

The difference between the Solo pro and v911 is that the latter has larger hole for the blade pivots pins. Cuz on the v911's head, those blade pivot pins are bigger than on the Solo Pro.

Could you let me know if the Helios uses the Solo Pro size pivot pins or the v911 size? I have some coming my way and thus the curiosity.

Thanks.
Yes I can clarify. The style, while like the solo pro & v911, it is the v911 blades that I can confirm fit perfectly as a drop in replacement, I hope that helps. Also I just test flew it & it flew fine
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
Team WarpSquad
Daryoon's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,063 Posts
BlueHavoc, you need a better camera.

But thanks for the confirmation.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,151 Posts
Well just ran two batteries through my modified Heilos100 with the V911 board installed. Light to no wind tonight.
BH is right - this thing is a bit to handle but I was able to calm it down just a little.

Believe it or not, a few times I got flybar strikes, I am used to using aileron and rudder for turns - a bank sort of like how a plane turns - and this thing is very responsive. Almost have to learn to fly all over again. Will have to play around with the settings with the 9x (using V911 settings right now). I guess I got spoiled with the V911 being so stable.
Got to admit it is very quiet compared to the V911.
Still getting the pronounced "porpoise" effect but not as bad as before with the stock TX and after some manual adjustments to the linkage. I think I am going to like this - did get the butt cheeks to squeeze a few times for sure that I consider fun when flying. Hey it flys, but I did notice it will not pull out of a dive nearly as fast as the V911. Is the 9958 similar in that effect?
Will update another sort of review after I run the batteries through it a few more times.
My disappointment with this product has changed - it was defiantly the board that was the problem. Look forward to flying it again.
Not sure on how it will handle the wind, but now that I got it trimmed out I would bet it will be better than before.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Flying mostly micro's
BlueHavoc's Avatar
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
BlueHavoc, you need a better camera.

But thanks for the confirmation.
LOL I know the pics are terrible please forgive me (phone cam) As I started to use my olympia the battery died...LOL and you're very welcome.
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
Flying mostly micro's
BlueHavoc's Avatar
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Well just ran two batteries through my modified Heilos100 with the V911 board installed. Light to no wind tonight.
BH is right - this thing is a bit to handle but I was able to calm it down just a little.

Believe it or not, a few times I got flybar strikes, I am used to using aileron and rudder for turns - a bank sort of like how a plane turns - and this thing is very responsive. Almost have to learn to fly all over again. Will have to play around with the settings with the 9x (using V911 settings right now). I guess I got spoiled with the V911 being so stable.
Got to admit it is very quiet compared to the V911.
Still getting the pronounced "porpoise" effect but not as bad as before with the stock TX and after some manual adjustments to the linkage. I think I am going to like this - did get the butt cheeks to squeeze a few times for sure that I consider fun when flying. Hey it flys, but I did notice it will not pull out of a dive nearly as fast as the V911. Is the 9958 similar in that effect?
Will update another sort of review after I run the batteries through it a few more times.
My disappointment with this product has changed - it was defiantly the board that was the problem. Look forward to flying it again.
Not sure on how it will handle the wind, but now that I got it trimmed out I would bet it will be better than before.
Glad to hear your experience is improving!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Yes I can clarify. The style, while like the solo pro & v911, it is the v911 blades that I can confirm fit perfectly as a drop in replacement, I hope that helps. Also I just test flew it & it flew fine
I had a similar thing happen to one of my V911s after I changed the blades the first time. I believe I overtightened the screws weakening the screw area causing the screws to pull threw and cracking after a crash. I wonder if they were overtightened at the factory? I have had a few crashes with the Helios already with no visible effects.
I wonder if the V911 blades being more flexible will change the flight characteristics?
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
BH, Thank you for that write up. It sounded like the rotor is even more brittle than my 9958's, because I haven't shattered any 9958 blades so far. Since the rotor design is similar to the v911's, do you think the Helios would benefit from some V911 blades?

I seems to me that everyone has been disappointed by the Helios paddles, which is hard for me to dismiss. I wonder why there is so much difference between weighted flybars and paddles (whether good or bad, just different) in almost every other applications, but these paddles are not?!??

The piro rate on the V911 is almost unmatched, except for the mSR, I guess. The piro rate on the 9958s is very slow, too.
My personal theory on why paddles work better than weights: paddled flybars (as we done them on v911) are lighter than stock weighted ones, and, perhaps more importantly, less tip-centric on the weight/mass distribution, so not only less energy expended to spin the flybar, but also maybe less oscillations about equilibrium flybar plane. I also think the paddles rely on aerodynamics to help provide the stability that weights do with their inertia, which could partially explain why the Helios flybar disappoint, due to its stubby non-foil shape. So even with weights off of the Helios FB, I don't expect MSR paddle-like performance. (BTW, they are not as easily removed as I first believed.)

Edit: I know MassiveOverkill has his theroy on why paddles work in wind, I don't fly enough in wind to be able to comment. Performance in the present context means agility and sureness of response, not how fast the heli can fly.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Last edited by stonecutter; Sep 14, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,151 Posts
Stonecutter,
I did not get that shipped out today, did not get home till almost 7:00 pm tonight. Usually home by 4:00 pm.
Have a golf outing first thing tomorrow. Not sure I will get it out tomorrow but for sure Monday if not. Would recommend if you have a V911 board around, you might like using the V911 TX or if you have a 9x better.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
Flying mostly micro's
BlueHavoc's Avatar
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
I had a similar thing happen to one of my V911s after I changed the blades the first time. I believe I overtightened the screws weakening the screw area causing the screws to pull threw and cracking after a crash. I wonder if they were overtightened at the factory? I have had a few crashes with the Helios already with no visible effects.
I wonder if the V911 blades being more flexible will change the flight characteristics?
That is absolutely possible, plus along with the more brittle material it was bound to happen. Man I'm glad the v911 blades are a perfect & more durable fit!
I noticed no difference whatsoever in the flying charactrtistics it flew exactly the same and flew fine...
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Last edited by BlueHavoc; Sep 14, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
That is absolutely possible, plus along with more brittle material it was bound to happen. Man I'm glad the v911 blades are a perfect & more durable fit!
So am I - that is two things I know now that can be used on this bird.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Flying mostly micro's
BlueHavoc's Avatar
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
So am I - that is two things I know now that can be used on this bird.
I was thrilled with your v911 RX drop in fit report! That could really open up some fun oportunities with this lil guy!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
I was thrilled with your v911 RX drop in fit report! That could really open up some fun oportunities with this lil guy!
I am really liking it now for sure - one TX again and that was the biggest downfall for many on this. Bird and board is a bit more than V911 but maybe they will make a BNF?
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:54 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Stonecutter,
I did not get that shipped out today, did not get home till almost 7:00 pm tonight. Usually home by 4:00 pm.
Have a golf outing first thing tomorrow. Not sure I will get it out tomorrow but for sure Monday if not. Would recommend if you have a V911 board around, you might like using the V911 TX or if you have a 9x better.
Not a problem. Makdaddy. Have a good round.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log helios build thread krikkens Hand Launch 66 Oct 24, 2012 08:28 PM
For Sale Helios DLG kits Wave Glider Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 06, 2012 10:09 PM
Discussion FW5 Vs. Helios DLG Launching Sound Beetle-Jet Hand Launch 20 Jan 09, 2012 01:12 AM
Sold Helios 90e pattern ship NIB tommy s Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 24, 2011 10:25 PM
Sold Hyperion Helios 90 flyingtomg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 15, 2011 09:04 AM