HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Hello,

Quick question. I have just started on helis (been flying fixed wing for a while). I went from an MCX to an SR120. I can fly the SR120 pretty decent (in the house I can't fly nose in yet, but I can outside). Would I be able to handle the mQX or is it much harder to fly?

Thanks,

Mike
I consider the MQX a challenge right now. You should have a programmable transmitter if you think you'd like to set the throws, etc. lower to start out with.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:39 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
196 Posts
BNF - very sensitive to controls

Hi All,
After being introduced to the Blade MQX on this thread and following every post and viewing every video, I said to myself this is what I want! So I bought one on Monday the 9th.
Everything went well, binding ok, spooling up nicely. etc.
My problem is it is very sensitive to the directional controls, if it starts to drift in a low hover and I give a minimum bit of stick to bring it back, it comes back like it was shot out of a gun.
I am using the low rate mode but as far as I am concerned, it isn't low enough to be able to learn how to control this a/c.
Is there any way to lower the low rate even lower?
Thanks,
Dave
a67ems is offline Find More Posts by a67ems
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems View Post
Hi All,
After being introduced to the Blade MQX on this thread and following every post and viewing every video, I said to myself this is what I want! So I bought one on Monday the 9th.
Everything went well, binding ok, spooling up nicely. etc.
My problem is it is very sensitive to the directional controls, if it starts to drift in a low hover and I give a minimum bit of stick to bring it back, it comes back like it was shot out of a gun.
I am using the low rate mode but as far as I am concerned, it isn't low enough to be able to learn how to control this a/c.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

Which tx are you using? If you're using the toy-grade RTF tx, there is no means of adjusting the rates. However, there is an undocumneted method of activating preprogrammed expo on the RTF tx, which should soften things a bit around center-stick. Many (most?) of us are using programmable transmitters (such as the DX6i), which allow a pilot to set up whatever rates and/or expo he/she wishes.

Edit: Another thing to consider is resolution. The RTF transmitters only have 128 or 256 steps of servo resolution, while the rx is capable of 1024 steps. The hobby-grade Spektrum transmitters have 1024 steps, which will provide much smoother control. Aas Paul noted - latency is also an issue when using the RTF tx.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Are you using the RTF transmitter or do you have a dx6i or similar?

edit:// Sorry didnt see above post.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I'm not a fan of combining diodes with the main power supply for my aircraft. I am 100% sure it caused an ESC failure on my Trex. So, running with a separate battery is a good idea. I use one of the tiny batteries from the Parkzone Vapor. The battery, plug, and LEDs are still only a few grams, very easy for the mQX to lift.
If you used dropping resistors, there is no way the addition of the LEDs caused an ESC failure if connected to the motor battery. Or did you dispense with the resistors? Or worse, dispense with the resistors AND connect the LEDs to the 5V BEC output? Without resistors, the current is unlimited and could easily exceed the BEC rating, especially when you add in the servo loads.

With appropriate resistors, the current should be about 10mA/LED. Not enough to be noticed.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems View Post
Thanks,
Dave
If you are using the transmitter that came with it, I suspect the actual problem is not the response amount vs. stick movement (high or low "rate"). The problem is more likely the speed of that response... ie., the time delay between stick movement and aircraft response. The DX4e is VERY VERY slow compared to any programmable transmitters like the DX6, 7 or 8. It is much slower than my old Futaba 9C, which is about 110mS between stick movement and servo response. Transmitters like the DX6-8 are in the 20-40 mS range. The difference is VERY easy to "feel".

Once you tune your reflexes to anticipate the delay, it is not as noticeable. But until you get used to it, most people will end up severely overcontrolling.... you move the stick, nothing happens immediately so you move it more. Then the reaction starts and you release the stick as the aircraft reaches the desired position.... but the transmitter takes a while to react to the fact that you released the stick so you end up going too far in the opposite direction. Etc.

I had the very same problem when I fist started in helis back in the Piccolo days. Back then, the majority of the control delay was the heli itself. I got used to it and eventually forgot all about it. Even today, my "delay" reflexes kick in when I fly it.

With the mQX, the aircraft itself reacts very quickly, as do decent transmitters. But the DX4e is far from a "decent transmitter". It also seems to have some residual expo in effect even if you disable expo per the instructions. That also contributes to a "mushy" feel.

If you know anyone with a better transmitter, try using it and see if things improve. If they do, consider something like a used DX6 or DX7. In the mean time, welcome to the world of learning to hover a "hovering thing".

Paul
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,523 Posts
I think the 3 axis gyro makes it easier to fly, but I have noticed that sometimes under light maneuvers, that it will return to level by itself, while other times it stays like I put it. What is happening here and why is it not consistent?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I think the 3 axis gyro makes it easier to fly, but I have noticed that sometimes under light maneuvers, that it will return to level by itself, while other times it stays like I put it. What is happening here and why is it not consistent?
When I play close attention to the mQX response to small control movements, it looks like the board has a small amount of "rebound". In other words, if I apply some right aileron and then release as the mQX starts to tilt right, it will tilt slowly in the opposite direction for a second or two. If the original amount of aileron deflection and tilt achieved was fairly small, this can return the mQX to something close to level. I do not think it is sensing or returning to actual "level", just undoing a small amount of the original commanded tilt.

If you look closely at the tail blades of a heli with a heading hold gyro, you can observe the same "rebound" effect, so it would appear to be a common component of a gyro response algorithm. If I had to guess, I would say that it was to anticipate the airframe reaction due to inertia and/or gyro and processing delay after the movement commanded has ceased.

Paul
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
If you used dropping resistors, there is no way the addition of the LEDs caused an ESC failure if connected to the motor battery. Or did you dispense with the resistors? Or worse, dispense with the resistors AND connect the LEDs to the 5V BEC output? Without resistors, the current is unlimited and could easily exceed the BEC rating, especially when you add in the servo loads.

With appropriate resistors, the current should be about 10mA/LED. Not enough to be noticed.

Paul
Theoretically yeah... but I took my helicopter which I had flown for many years and never had a problem with, and spliced into the power plug with some LED strips. The heli flew ok for a few minutes and then had an electronic freak-out. There is only one thing that could have caused it. I can not electrically explain it, I only know what happened, and I'm not willing to risk it happening again.

Just to be clear, I had the ESC, the BEC, and the lights all running from the battery plug... I don't have any explanation for the problem, but somehow, the BEC or ESC could "feel" those diodes out there and it freaked out. It is one of those mysterious things that shouldn't happen, but it did.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
You will find the mQX great fun to fly.

The biggest difference between them is the mQX will not stop if you centre the right stick you have to give the opposite command to stop it which is similar to flying a CP heli.

Many CP pilots are posting the mQX is the best trainer for progressing to flying a CP heli.

There will be a learning curve for you but you should find that fairly easy especially after flying your 120SR.

I love my mQX, I also have the 120SR and mSR plus other FP helis.

cheers John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I consider the MQX a challenge right now. You should have a programmable transmitter if you think you'd like to set the throws, etc. lower to start out with.

Thanks John & Kodak.

Looks like it will be a bit of a step up. Forgot to mention I am running a DX7 so I have programming to help out. I'm running the SR120 at 100% throws all the time and about 40% expo. I was running on 15% expo, but that was a bit of a problem when going nose in.

Mike
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Mike-

Quit thinking about it and buy an mQx already! It may be a step up but it's not much of one unless you want it to be. This thing can be hovered, I think, easier than all of the other micro birds. Moving forward, back, left, & right alone - all tail-in - is a blast in and of itself. When i first bought this thing I could easily spend 12 minutes just flying forward, pulling back just before I hit the wall, then flying backward until just before the wall....over and over. I could still do that and it would be fun enough to justify the cost of this thing. I am just now at the banked turns stage and I couldn't be having more fun. Oh yeah, and did I mention that i was flipping this thing in my living room before I started teaching myself banked turns? I somehow haven't even cracked the canopy on this thing. When I bought it (used) it had a small hole in it and after slamming it into and way over my fence and cartwheeling it through my living room and into my brick fireplace I still haven't damaged this thing. It is much more resilient than an msr and 120sr, imo. This thing is a 'must-own' as far as i am concerned.

The only issue I can think of, if you can call it an issue, is the issue of the motors. You can, and I have damaged a motor in a crash even with killing the throttle before you hit. Granted, the mQx I bought had a sticky motor to begin with and when the wind caught my mqx and threw it over the fence that motor died even though I killed the throttle well before i lost sight of it. That to me is a non issue though. I would recommend buying a couple of spares with it though just in case. i did and i haven't had any down time at all with this thing. It gets an A+ in my book all the way around. I have to keep talking myself out of bringing it to work! lol.
Last edited by major.monogram; Apr 11, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Mike-
Oh yeah, and did I mention that i was flipping this thing in my living room before I started teaching myself banked turns?
Wow, that must be a seriously high living room?

Quote:
It gets an A+ in my book all the way around.
+1

It is so much more fun to fly than my mSR. The one thing to beware of though is it will almost invariably lead to future multirotor purchases...

Quote:
I have to keep talking myself out of bringing it to work! lol.
Hell no, that's where I fly mine most of the time!

It has about 50 packs on it and so far - knock on wood - no dead motors.
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
Wow, that must be a seriously high living room?
I have 12' ceilings in my living room, kitchen and master bedroom. I bet my wife wishes that we didn't! lol Oh and they are the "corner flips" too. I've only ever tried one roll indoors and it didn't go all that well. Although, i do think it would be possible if my skills were up to par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
It has about 50 packs on it and so far - knock on wood - no dead motors.
Yeah, I think mine was failing from the previous owner then a crazy hard crash just finally ended it. Definitely could have been a fluke.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Any self-leveling tendencies you may have seen were random events, most likely due to the effects of micro-turbulence & the very, very slight pendulum effect of the CG being below the plane of the rotors.

The mQX controller does not have any self-leveling capability at all. In fact it would be physically impossible for the contorller to have that capability, given that is a 3-axis gyro-based controller with no accelerometers or other means of determining which way is 'up'.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
I've wanted one of these for a while. They are either out of stock or I have no money or I just bought a new toy yesterday. It's always something. Finally, last night, I ordered a mQX BNF and a Spektrum DX6i. If I'm lucky, it will be here Friday or Saturday.

My only other RC is an mSR X. Looking forward trying the DX6i on it.

Good Times.
vanzant is offline Find More Posts by vanzant