Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairL View Post
Well I got the maiden in this w/e.

Thanks to our instructor, who bullied me into taking it up, despite the horrendous winds.
I'll get some final build photos, and hopefully flight pics, this w/e.

regards
Well, I got to take it up solo this morning before work. It flies well, even though there was a marked lack of thermal activity. (well it was 08h30, and the ground temp about 8C !).

Flat wing, and short coupled fuse for wingspan, makes it a bit sensitive in the air, but even I could manage it. Got it well trimmed out, with both mild crow, and full flaps, with no pitch-up. Lands like a pussycat with flaps, in no wind conditions.
Seems to stay up well, even though lift was virtually non existent. I was up for about 15 min on the second flight, on 3 min of throttle time.
When I get confident, I'll put on the altimeter, and get some recordings up.

No in-flights yet, but hopefully I'll find a willing hand this w/e.

regards
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,397 Posts
Looking good AL. Good job on the winglets.
I may build one for my Raptor now as the wings are interchangeable and I have the template for the ribs still.
I could even try the Phoenix wing on my Raptor. Original Raptor wing is 1600mm so I could see a big improvement in glide with the Phoenix wing on it.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Today, 02:02 AM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Looking good AL. Good job on the winglets.
I may build one for my Raptor now as the wings are interchangeable and I have the template for the ribs still.
I could even try the Phoenix wing on my Raptor. Original Raptor wing is 1600mm so I could see a big improvement in glide with the Phoenix wing on it.
Not sure if the same Raptor, but one of my clubmates did the same thing. He found the Raptor fuse too flexible, and the empennage too small to give a flyable result.

regards
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
Old Today, 02:14 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairL View Post
Not sure if the same Raptor, but one of my clubmates did the same thing. He found the Raptor fuse too flexible, and the empennage too small to give a flyable result.

regards
Yeah, well my Raptor is plenty tough enough. I have been using it on and off for a couple of years I guess.
AL, maybe I am stubborn, but I don't listen to other peoples results. I know for a fact some don't have a clue so I usually go my own way with stuff just as you have. It's the only way to gain experience and I have been gaining it since the '60s.
There are better planes than the Raptor but mine has been a lot of fun. I'm sure I can make it even better.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid