HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:38 PM
Princeton, NJ US Capitol in 1783
Joined Nov 2008
32 Posts
Here are pics of my new unwrapped Minimoa. Just curious - did anybody else get the parts individually wrapped in a plain cardboard box or did your plane come in a manufacturer's box?

Allan
voodootv is offline Find More Posts by voodootv
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:30 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodootv View Post
Here are pics of my new unwrapped Minimoa. Just curious - did anybody else get the parts individually wrapped in a plain cardboard box or did your plane come in a manufacturer's box?

Allan
Plain box for me ..... same as your own .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,687 Posts
Sub'd, Lets get some flight videos!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Sub'd, Lets get some flight videos!
Wish I could ..... I'm all ready to go but it's been blowing a gale over here practically the whole week ......
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:07 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
Here they are Jim...

I have yet to maiden mine....weather too stormy here at present...but I still have to get a AR7000 rx for it as well.

Posted pic of recommended COG and I still had to add 70g of nose weight to get it to balance at the 54mm mark....with a 3s 2250 Rhino batt on board.

I will be using a lot of expo on the control surfaces to dampen all that over controlling as the control surfaces are huge!

Louis
Thanks for the info. If your mods for cooling are enough, that's great as I agree with keeping the spinner as stock as possible.

Have you settled on you cg location or still working on it?

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:26 PM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodootv View Post

Allan
Mine came double boxed.

Both are plain cardboard boxes.

Looks like you received them in good condition.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Some interesting info on the full scale minimoa:

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAG...imoa_docs.html

Enjoy....

Jim
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2009
536 Posts
you can find this glider on alibaba website

When hobby king first announced the minimoa, I googled epo minimoa and found it on the alibaba chinese whole sale website, they state that this glider comes with a large nimh or nicad battery i suspect the weight and voltage drop under load were factored in at the design stage. I dont really have any good way to cool this motor, my mount is now made from wood, but I want to swap a 28mm outrunner to get more clearance my turnigy 35-42-1000kv motor barely fits.
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:15 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
First HK Minimoa video i've seen so far .......

HK minimoa glider 2010-08-13 (5 min 43 sec)

I had mine up for the first time yesterday ...... take off can be near vertical if you apply anythink like full power ..... frankly it will fly out of you hand and climb at very modest power levels so keep the power level down and an eye on the elevator to keep the climb rate down ..... I was impressed by the ease of take-off ......

I had 7 flights with total airtime of just under 2 hours ...... 10 mins to 2o mins each and even at 20 the 2200 lipo was only 1/2 discharged .......

On the slopes or with lift the Minimoa can be up for a long time ..... that's for sure ......

Landings were great with a fine roll-out taking full advantage of the belly wheel ......

I'll try and get some video next trip out .....

I'm flying with 40g ballast mounted at the front of the canopy ......
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,216 Posts
Another Maiden

Well yesterday maiden on Minimoa went as expected.....yes with the rapid pitch up with about 65% power set and COG balanced slightly forward of the 54mm (30%) mark. I checked the elevator setting and it was a mm or so high
so adjusted back to netural but still needed a little downtrim.

Note , it should fly very comfortably out of your hand (even in calm conditions)
with only half throttle set. Any more and the Minimoa has an inherent trait of rapid pitch up. You can control this with power or a good amount of trim...but power is the safest way to go here. Once power is off she glides and looks like an Albatross or Pelican and is extremely docile and well mannered. In gliding phase it will take fair bit of up elevator to keep the nose up for slow speed flight and the possibility of gaining some height in lift....otherwise it is capable of gliding quite fast at lower AOA's and is very sleek.

Well the real Minimoa in 1935 didn't have the equivalent of a Turboprop engine mounted on its nose! ...so this nose up tendency is totally feasible. It is silly considering downthrust....because this will not make much difference because of the design structure and the high lift generated by the gullwing and non-intended propwash factor. So you have to learn how to manage that power...and it is quite easy one you get the hang of it.

Having said that....my model has an empty weight(no battery) of 894g (31.55oz) and an All Up Weight(AUW) of 1084 (38.25oz) with Rhinio 3s 2250Mah Bat.

This is not far off the given Art-Tech manual weight of 1005g or 35.4 oz.

I have about 75gms of lead weight in the nose to get the COG to design limits
with the aid of the 2250mAh Rhino Battery.....so any lighter in the nose area would put the
COG back and more unstable anyway...as some of you have already experienced...and coupled with the quite pronounced nose up with moderate to high power would spell disaster for some!

Now on the Hobby King (Art-Tech brand swap) stock parts side!! .....Not Good
Quality on my kit AS I EXPECTED.....just cheap junk!

I had to replace the Fuselage servos with HTX900...as they were slipping...the elevator especially in all the ground tests. The elevator EPO hinge link also separated and I have replaced with a nylon hinge type.

Next the motor...was junk as well....and did not operate smoothly under full power (making a horrible grinding noise) and could not take the thrust produced by the comparatively oversized propeller. It was only rated at 80watts???! I replaced it with another bell type...a Tower Pro 2409-12T rated at 200watts.

The ESC followed and it was impossible to find a link to program it as I somehow managed to disengage the prop brake which has to be on to stow the propeller. So I junked this as well and replaced with a Turnigy Plush 30amp in lieu of the hobbyking 20A unknown reliability stock.

So I had a little modification to do to fit this motor ....but it is in now and runs
so sweet! The power of course is phenomenal! and it literally flies out of my hand with very little throw at half throttle.

The stock setup also has the tendency to overheat...for obvious reasons!

My cooling mods solve this and work perfectly. All the internals are at ordinary temps at the end of each flight after moderate amounts of motor running at half throttle for a minute or so. She will also stay up there a long time running the motor for a minute and gliding with the 2250mah batt...you could get about 20 shots at this.......however I think my ST Models DG1000 is a better performer and appears to sniff out the lift better and also lighter at 952g (33.6oz) AUW......well it is a Generation or two in front of the Minimoa in design!

Finally ...I just love looking at those huge bird like Gull wings and its graceful nature in turns and loops and wingovers! ....that are sometimes induced by too much power of course! Also the low glide and power passes at 20cm AGL and staying in ground effect are quite spectacular..it just like the pelicans do skimming across the water.

I cant wait to take it down to the beach Roger!! Yes my camera man sadly has gone back to NZ so no air photos unfortunately......only the Mini Swift he took the other day for me before he left.

Attached pics taken today at Scotch Field with some of my other toys!

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Aug 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
First HK Minimoa video i've seen so far .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Knn3lv5X28

I had mine up for the first time yesterday ...... take off can be near vertical if you apply anythink like full power ..... frankly it will fly out of you hand and climb at very modest power levels so keep the power level down and an eye on the elevator to keep the climb rate down ..... I was impressed by the ease of take-off ......

I had 7 flights with total airtime of just under 2 hours ...... 10 mins to 2o mins each and even at 20 the 2200 lipo was only 1/2 discharged .......

On the slopes or with lift the Minimoa can be up for a long time ..... that's for sure ......

Landings were great with a fine roll-out taking full advantage of the belly wheel ......

I'll try and get some video next trip out .....

I'm flying with 40g ballast mounted at the front of the canopy ......

Nice Vid! H14

No mater where she flies on this planet....the Minimoa looks like a "Legend" reborn!

HJ
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:35 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Hondajet,

Nice review. I've got an email this weekend indicating mine has shipped. I was afraid at this price, there might be quality issues with the mechanical bits. Sounds like a total refit is in order.......

I have a radian that pitches up under power as well but solved that with a mix.

The minimoa is quite a bit heavier than the radian. Do you have any info on wing area or wing loading?

Thanks,

Jim
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Nice review Honda ......

I did the same re the stock Esc ..... I replaced with a 25A Tgy Plush Esc that I can program with a card ...... I'm using just about every size of this type of Esc and find them great ....

also did some work on cooling vents ..... not as comprehensive as yours but everything is coming down at acceptable temp levels so will see how it goes (I'll try and get a photo up of my approach)

Had another couple of flights yesterday ..... 35 mins total so I'm over 2 1/2 hours air time with mine so far ......

I was still worrying about just one wing joiner so managed to get a length of 5.5mm Aluminium and made a second one ...... it adds 12g but gives me a lot more confidence ..... also helps a lot when your putting everything together pre-flight .....

I guess the stock servos are 9g, 2 to 3 dollar a piece so I'm not expecting a lot but mine are working fine so will let them run ..... I have plenty of high quality/price servos available if required .....

I did add a touch of vaseline to the end of the Nylon bolts ...... it makes them a lot more free when tightening up ......

One thing I did was to add a good size Cyno hinge in between the two existing rudder hinges ...... just a bit of reserve .......
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Nice review Honda ......

I did the same re the stock Esc ..... I replaced with a 25A Tgy Plush Esc that I can program with a card ...... I'm using just about every size of this type of Esc and find them great ....

also did some work on cooling vents ..... not as comprehensive as yours but everything is coming down at acceptable temp levels so will see how it goes (I'll try and get a photo up of my approach)

Had another couple of flights yesterday ..... 35 mins total so I'm over 2 1/2 hours air time with mine so far ......

I was still worrying about just one wing joiner so managed to get a length of 5.5mm Aluminium and made a second one ...... it adds 12g but gives me a lot more confidence ..... also helps a lot when your putting everything together pre-flight .....

I guess the stock servos are 9g, 2 to 3 dollar a piece so I'm not expecting a lot but mine are working fine so will let them run ..... I have plenty of high quality/price servos available if required .....

I did add a touch of vaseline to the end of the Nylon bolts ...... it makes them a lot more free when tightening up ......

One thing I did was to add a good size Cyno hinge in between the two existing rudder hinges ...... just a bit of reserve .......
Yes I also fashioned another metal wing joiner for the rear location points. The original thought must have been to use 2, but economics has taken over.....much happier with two instead of one ....especially pulling +g in aeros.....that it was not designed to do anyway!

HJ
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:43 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
With these reports of quality issues and non floater performance I'm kinda bummed I ordered one.
Can anyone say this is capable of thermalling?
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER