HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:12 AM
Joined Mar 2008
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
My son Mike wants to get a plane in every state.

The first order from the last remaining states will get an automatic additional 20% off of one kit to help us reach this goal.
North Dakota,
West Virginia,
Delaware,
Rhode Island,
Maine.
:-D

Thanks

Lee and Mike
A group of us from a club in Ma order the 6 packcage deal late last fall. One of the group live in RI. Would that take RI off your list?
Dave
SUKWEE is offline Find More Posts by SUKWEE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:36 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
Thanks Bombay, just checked it and I got it down to 30 grams. I forget to check before I started drilling Not a lot lighter, but it may help with balancing the plane, which is what my goal was.
Yep, usually, it is not one item that gives you a weight penalty, but several small items that add up. 10 grams is a good weight reduction...especially where it is located...at the trailing edge of the wing.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:03 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Bama -

-10 g is good. Do you mind posting a pic of the butchered mount? Thx!
KC Flyer is online now Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:50 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Resurrecting dead motors, and Cheap Mounts

Old post of line about rewinding motors and cheap (60 cent) motor mounts.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1376

Also, a great source for the 28-12 motor (I buy 10 at a time).

It comes with a prop saver AND a stick mount to use the reddies on your slowstick:

http://www.toysonics.com/emax-cf2812...ess-motor.html
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:16 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Tele -

Thanks for the info. Have you (or others out there) rewound the 28-12 with 9 turns for the extra 200 kv? Any downside? Would you want to use a little thicker wire to handle more current?

I'm new to brushless motors. Do they need any maintenance like oiling the bearings occasionally? Thx.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:52 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Here are the pics, just use a 1/4" drill bit and stay away form the actual bend. Again, I don't combat, so this may not help some of you. I tried to go larger at first but the bit was bent so I moved to a smaller size. screw the mount down flat on an old 2x4 to keep from bending it and use some wd-40 to keep the bit cool. The scuff marks were caused by the bench grinder when I smoothed off the remains.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:21 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Looks great Bama! I don't think you lost any strength by what you removed - even if you repeatedly crash to pavement just for kicks.

The stock motor mount seems very heavy to me and I'm guessing even more than 10 g can be removed without much downside. I'll bet some useless weight could be removed from the vertical part as well which would help lighten rear even more.

My brother is a airframe stress engineer for Boeing. I'll put some pics together and ask him what else we can do to lighten these things up.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:48 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Looks good Bama

Quote:
I don't combat, so this may not help some of you.
I do, and I did the same thing a while back. I don't think it has had any negative affect.

I also cut a radius to match the alum firewall motor mount. My thought was both weight and reduction of parasitic drag. The downside to this mod though is it will have to be changed out to a new one if larger or different motor/mount is to be used.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Tele -

Thanks for the info. Have you (or others out there) rewound the 28-12 with 9 turns for the extra 200 kv? Any downside? Would you want to use a little thicker wire to handle more current?

I'm new to brushless motors. Do they need any maintenance like oiling the bearings occasionally? Thx.
Do they need any maintenance like oiling the bearings occasionally?

If you'll look close up you will see that the bearings are sealed so any oil you put around the bearings will attract and hold dirt but won't lube anything. I did find repalcement bearings once but at $6 per motor I'm not sure it's worth doing anything but using and burning them up.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Just finished her a few minutes ago. Woohooo! Maiden tomorrow hopefully. KC Flyer, let me know what your brother says. I thought I could take out some more, but I figured I would take it easy.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:11 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I like the stripes. Looks like sparkle tape.

You might want to check your control horns. Maybe its just the picture, but, you want the pivot hole that the easy-connector goes through to be exactly at the hing point. Yours appears to be behind it. A little behind it on the non stripe side, and more on the striped side. This will cause quite a bit more up pull on them then down push. Just a heads up.

What prop is that?? just curious.

Pat
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
The stripes are sparkle tape. Did a lot of research and really tried to do everything as light as I could.
They are back a little, but I was trying keep the bottom clear of hitting the wing when pushing down. I have played with them a little and the throws are all ok. I was a little worried about them being too far back, but the arms barely bind at all and after installing the staple "guides", they don't even flex. They look uneven because the unstriped side has less gorilla glue foam in front of it....trust me I am a measuring freak. The stripes took longer than most of the build...trying to get them straight enough for my liking.
I appreciate the heads up...I will take any advice. The prop is the 7x5 in the kit from Plane Insane....trouble reading the brand....Hasqe? I dunno. Ask Ryan
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:01 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Ok good. I'm sure it will fly fine.

I remember a post that I didnt quite read and absorb about different props being included in the kits from Ryan. Can someone clue me in on why its not the beige 7x6 anymore?? maybe supplier issue IDK.

Advise, keep the throws low at first, and dont forget to throttle back when it gets up in the air. Keep it close to you visually so that its easier to see. At 100yrds out when its profile is to you, it is rather small.... I like to rock the wings when I have that brief panic moment and am not sure exactly what its doing.

HAVE FUN its a blast.!

Pat
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:24 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
969 Posts
Well, I am very disappointed. At our club meeting tonight we were informed that our park district and our forest preserve district will not allow any night flying on any park property. In fact it is illegal to be in ANY park after sunset.
So I guess I might as well forget about putting lights on any planes.

Bummer! I have 2 Scythes coming and planed to put led's on/in one of them for night flying.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is offline Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:27 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Mount mount

Hey Bama:
Nice simple design.

Thanks for the idea of lightening the motor mount. I tend to build heavy, so lightening a part without (hopefully) sacrificing strength is a great idea. Now, if my motor mount breaks, it is all your fault.

I didn't drill as many or large of holes as you, but I rounded both ends...and removed quite a bit of material in the process. I was able to lose 10 grams.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay