HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:32 AM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
I cannot believe the bad luck I have had with this plane. I saw the thread on balancing an EDF using a cell phone, so I built a mounting platform using a 4" PVC pipe. I will post pics later. Anyway the motor slides inside the pipe on aluminum rails. The PVC pipe is attached to a 2X6. I do not have a smart phone, but I have a tablet. So the tablet rests on the PVC pipe at about a 45 degree angle.

I had everything hooked up (BTW - the 4" PVC pipe makes a great blast shield) and spun the motor up. One of the blades comes off - holy crap. It flies out the pipe and ends up across the room. This is alarming. At least I did not fly this plane. It would have destroyed it.

I do not know what to do? Should I buy another fan? Why did this one fail.? Maybe another 70mm fan that will not self destruct?

WTN
WTN is offline Find More Posts by WTN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:50 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
I posted pictures over on the Balancing with a cell phone thread.
WTN is offline Find More Posts by WTN
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:38 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,919 Posts
Was this your first run-up in the fixture? How fast did you increase the throttle?

Those plastic EDF shrouds are relatively easy to flex and deform. If you raise the throttle gradually, you will be able to detect if the blades are rubbing at a lower RPM. When mounting the unit, I suggest doing it with the lip ring installed as a brace to minimize the chance of the duct flexing.

You also do not need to go to full power to balance, just enough where vibration starts to happen, and then consistently return to that setting during the balancing process.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:49 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
971 Posts
i have a fan and motor combo for sale that was in this plane.

here it is at work.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:52 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
I cannot believe the bad luck I have had with this plane. I saw the thread on balancing an EDF using a cell phone, so I built a mounting platform using a 4" PVC pipe. I will post pics later. Anyway the motor slides inside the pipe on aluminum rails. The PVC pipe is attached to a 2X6. I do not have a smart phone, but I have a tablet. So the tablet rests on the PVC pipe at about a 45 degree angle.

I had everything hooked up (BTW - the 4" PVC pipe makes a great blast shield) and spun the motor up. One of the blades comes off - holy crap. It flies out the pipe and ends up across the room. This is alarming. At least I did not fly this plane. It would have destroyed it.

I do not know what to do? Should I buy another fan? Why did this one fail.? Maybe another 70mm fan that will not self destruct?

WTN
I shredded my hand testing a CS10 fan earlier. Been having problems either with the grub screws not being tight enough/slipping/sloppy drill holes, or the housing distorted striking the fan blade at RPM. Not sure which. Testing it in the plane and it's not striking the shroud but it's slipping on the motor shaft. I really like collets better.
In any case I learned a valuable lesson on how dangerous these fans become if they let go!

I also learned any test jig when spooling up the motor/fan, the fan shroud should be fully supported like it is in the plane or it will bend and distort and cause a blade strike too.

What's your set-up? Still have the stock exceed fan/motor, just plug her in and go. Not super powerful. (you may have it if is enough fan/motor for you)
I'm determined to get this Change Sun 10 blader working than start messing with a 12 blade later myself.
Right now I think it's slipping because the amps are down, not where I thought it would be for a static test (30amps on 2800kv lol).
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Last edited by Ispintechno; Jan 27, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:58 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Alright, I'm on night watch feeding my new born twins. After I knocked them out with a gallon of similac I took out the F-18 CS70-10 and I literally grabbed the fan with one hand, and the motor with the other and tried to break it loose. No joy. I probably put 10-25lbs of pressure on it and it is solid.. It's not slipping at all. the fan is tight.
Tomorrow I'm going to strap it down to a picnic table outside, e-flte meter it on video and let my peers analyze my power loss if I still have it tomorrow...

Nano-tech 4S 2650mah, 85amp Turnigy super brain ESC, Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner, Change Sun 10 Blade fan/shroud.

I would expect 60 amps from this.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:31 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
228 Posts
Lovin this bird, Maiden yesterday was great! The mods proved a big plus for the performance but I lost a lot of the "whoosh".

Centennial F 18 (3 min 37 sec)

Low passes coming on the next flight, maiden demanded high alt!!!
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3rd-dem; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:55 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
746 Posts
new gadget: flies much much more stable.

viperviper is offline Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:40 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
Lovin this bird, Maiden yesterday was great! The mods proved a big plus for the performance but I lost a lot of the "whoosh".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrJuSbmXC8

Low passes coming on the next flight, maiden demanded high alt!!!
Is that by chance the aussie paint scheme? It looks really cool for that model. Nice maiden!

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
Is that by chance the aussie paint scheme? It looks really cool for that model. Nice maiden!

Coot
Actually a combo of the US Centennial scheems and Papy Boington's F4U Corsair from one of my all time favorite TV shows "Ba Ba Black Sheep"
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:39 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Actually getting 48 amps now, think all is well. Might need some balancing and call it a day for the fan/motor.

F-18 70mm Fan/Motor Test (2800kv) (2 min 11 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:48 PM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Actually getting 48 amps now, think all is well. Might need some balancing and call it a day for the fan/motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbVpn8fG24k
Is this test with CS-10 and Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w) ?
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:05 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Is this test with CS-10 and Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w) ?
Yep.

Turnigy Nano-tech 4S 2650mah, 85amp Turnigy super brain ESC, Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner, Change Sun 10 Blade fan/shroud.

Motor is kinda loud but maybe will sound different in the air.
I throttled up slowly just in case the fan decided to detonate or slide off. I think I finally have the grub screws working ok now.
Probably would have peaked over 50amps on a hard throttle up I'm guessing. I should have checked the watts too... next run up.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:27 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
new gadget: flies much much more stable.

Which one is that?
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:54 PM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Yep.

Turnigy Nano-tech 4S 2650mah, 85amp Turnigy super brain ESC, Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner, Change Sun 10 Blade fan/shroud.

Motor is kinda loud but maybe will sound different in the air.
I throttled up slowly just in case the fan decided to detonate or slide off. I think I finally have the grub screws working ok now.
Probably would have peaked over 50amps on a hard throttle up I'm guessing. I should have checked the watts too... next run up.
According to the specs it should noyt draw more than 43A.

Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w)
Spec.
Kv: 2800 rpm/v
Voltage: 14.8(4s)
No load Current: 2.8A
Max Current: 43A
Max Power: 630W
Shaft Size : 4mm
Shaft Length: 16mm
Dimension: 34mm x 28mm
Thrust: 1200g
Weight: 97g