HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,695 Posts
Yep the group ebbs and flows over the years. I primarily flew FPV multirotors over the summer with the Chicagoland FPV Flyers which turned into a weekly gathering of almost a dozen people.

I love sailplanes, well powered sailplanes, which for right or wrong were my first RC planes but haven't flown one since I crashed the last one about 4 years ago....they are tricky in the turns if you don't have enough speed.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,083 Posts
Yeah, it IS awful quiet in here!

I fly sailplanes, my first RC was a Gentle Lady. I now have a Radian which is just a fantastic motor glider, it has an excellent sink rate and I've nearly had it speck out of site a few times (no spoilers).

I fly it mostly at the Schiller Park field, but have also soared it at the "church" field on Devon, just east of Cicero. The best field is the one at 107th & La Grange Rd, HUGE field, which is conducive to scratching for lift down low.

Is the Ka8 a pure sailplane? I've used a hi-sart at the LaGrange field, although I've gotten some dirty looks. There was a sailplane club with a field near Plainfield, but haven't flown with them in years. You might look over on the glider forum.

Also, how good a deal was that Ka8, and where did you get it?
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
they are tricky in the turns if you don't have enough speed.
Which is why they're good trainers, imho. You learn to fly the wing and not rely on power to get you out of everything. Also depends on the kind of glider, my Radian turns well at a crawl, but a sloper needs some speed.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Clueless but learning
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
129 Posts
Yes, it's unmotorized and scale. I've considered getting something like a Radian (not the Pro version), but at $99 this was a no brainer impulse purchase.

I'd like to try slope flying, too - I'm not too far from the field in Naperville, but they are closed for the year.

Plainfield, huh? That's close - I'll try and find out who they are. If anyone knows the name of the club that might help me.
HeavyDuty is offline Find More Posts by HeavyDuty