HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:49 PM
Canada, ON, East Gwillimbury
Joined Sep 2014
192 Posts
Discussion
Naze32 Acro, no lights when plugging in USB

I already have 1 of these boards working fine and got another last night. I soldered everything up and mounted it, but I am not getting any LED lights at all when I plug it in. I have tried with the bootloader pins shorted and still nothing.

I have hercules flashloader and cleanflight all installed and working fine. Cleanflight gives me the "No response from bootloader, programming: FAILED" message. Hercules finds the com and connects but sending R does nothing, no lights still. My soldering job is pretty good, no shorts and the board looks perfect.

Any ideas? Dud board maybe?
jp0160 is online now Find More Posts by jp0160
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:26 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
3,564 Posts
I always test a new FC by plugging in USB before any soldering.

Have nothing connected to the board except the USB cable.
Do the LEDs come on?
Is the USB cable good?

Measure with your Voltmeter (DMM) the USB +5V pin.
waltr is online now Find More Posts by waltr
Old Dec 23, 2014, 04:30 PM
Canada, ON, East Gwillimbury
Joined Sep 2014
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post
I always test a new FC by plugging in USB before any soldering.

Have nothing connected to the board except the USB cable.
Do the LEDs come on?
Is the USB cable good?

Measure with your Voltmeter (DMM) the USB +5V pin.
I should have checked it before, I completely forgot to. But I soldered this one the exact same as my other one, same iron and desk, same flux and solder. I figured it would work fine.

I tried with everything connected, no lights. Tried with nothing but USB, no lights. I triple-checked all the solder pads and went over all of the components, nothing is shorted. The USB cable is good, I use it on my other board all the time. I don't have a voltmeter unfortunately I

I trimmed down an old JST to the 2 prongs sticking out, twisted the wires together, and used that to short the bootloader pads, still nothing (also tried tweesers and a paperclip thinking maybe its the material I'm using). I even had my wife helping me so I was sure I didn't lift off of one of the pads while connecting.
jp0160 is online now Find More Posts by jp0160
Old Dec 23, 2014, 07:35 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
3,564 Posts
It could easily be a bad USB connector or connector soldering.
Try powering the board through a motor output pins from the BEC on an ESC.
If the LEDs then light the USB conn is bad. I'm pretty sure the Blue LED (one closer to the corner) lights only from power (+3.3V). So if this one does not light up then there is no +3.3V on the board and the processor will not run.
Could be a bad 3.3V regulator.
Or some else wrong on the board.

No Voltmeter (DMM)?
How did you check for shorts?

Yea, go buy an inexpensive multi-meter ($15-25). These are an absolute necessity for trouble shooting and simple checking.
waltr is online now Find More Posts by waltr
Last edited by waltr; Dec 23, 2014 at 07:47 PM.