HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:44 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,265 Posts
Sonic Chicken is a Half A Model.
Fit a Profi or Cyclon, use 42' lines and you can 'try' to keep up to it :-)
Likely No further need for extra speed experimentations after that.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:40 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
416 Posts
Some quick maths tells me that 140mph on 80' lines gives around 2.5 second laps.

A good FAI combat model - 2.5cc on 4:1 fuel, is much faster.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:41 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Sonic Chicken is a Half A Model.
Fit a Profi or Cyclon, use 42' lines and you can 'try' to keep up to it :-)
Likely No further need for extra speed experimentations after that.
Originally, Jeff's brother named one of the Half-A Foamies that, and the Big Block Planes may initially have been closer in form to a Bill Maywald ArrowPlane type. But I asked about it after that article in the NW Flier Newsletter.

Jeff says they are all "Sonics" now, big and small.

Incidentally, compared to what a powerful enough engine will be, Jeff practically gives them away.
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Feb 05, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:33 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,103 Posts
This may (or may not) give you some incentive to screw yourself into the ground flying a combat model .
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
When sport flying FC, I just plant my feet with my back to the wind.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:06 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Well , if all you want is blinding speed , put a half A on shorter lines ....

Less dangerous to people around you ...
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
1/2 A's don't do 140 MPH. Dangerous? Is a combat plane flying at 140 MPH more dangerous than one flying at 125 MPH? And 1/2 As are common. This would be unique. Imagine the doppler shift, the visually blurring speed and turning a loop in one foot. That would be more fun than flying a 1/2 A on short lines.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:52 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,265 Posts
140 ? in FC.. unlikely, 110/120 is more like it, on 30%.
Haven't been around these much have you :-)
Note that this requires a healthy Nelson or Fora.
On one of Jeff's truly exquisitely made 'Sonics'
Good luck finding one of these engines... for less than $250.. these days.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
140 ? in FC.. unlikely, 110/120 is more like it, on 30%.
Haven't been around these much have you :-)
Note that this requires a healthy Nelson or Fora.
On one of Jeff's truly exquisitely made 'Sonics'
Good luck finding one of these engines... for less than $250.. these days.
The latest suggestion was to put a pylon race 40 on this combat plane. This would do 140 MPH. Also mentioned earlier, this would not be a "contest legal" airplane. How would you do it?
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 05, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:03 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
1/2 A's don't do 140 MPH. Dangerous? Is a combat plane flying at 140 MPH more dangerous than one flying at 125 MPH? And 1/2 As are common. This would be unique. Imagine the doppler shift, the visually blurring speed and turning a loop in one foot. That would be more fun than flying a 1/2 A on short lines.
I dont know ?

When I visited the USA , I saw at the Nats a half A on short lines ..
It was blindingly fast , I dont know how the hell the guy [ dont know who it was ] kept it in the air as long as he did [ eventually hit the ground ] .

It made everything else look slow , the model was just a blur .. Yeah , not 140mph but from the handle , who cares , and from a spectators perspective , Holly Cow , I never was able to focus on the model , till it hit the ground .

Ive seen fly away's , Ive seen people eat dirt to get out of the way , the larger and faster they are , the more potential to do harm ..
I would hate to see your model embedded in some ones chest with a broken prop and the engine pulling 20,000+ RPM churning out guts ...

Having said that , make sure there is a Video camera capturing every second , If you fly @ 120+ mph and are comfortable doing it , then sure [ I wont say go for it for liability reasons ] .. Here in Oz they had open combat with 40's for ? years .. Not sure what happen , but after a while it sort of went away , ?? if some one Knows what happen to open combat in Oz , let us know .
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
Hello I' m an old combat guy might I suggest if and when you make your plane use a fuel shutoff for saftey,also mabe just try a good b.b. .40 and retime the crank open up the venturi you may also open up the intakes inside the motor.you may also need to up the nitro to get the results you want.We used to use the old fox mk6's and totally gut and rework them then I used to run 50-60% nitro to make them fast they were on par with the nelsons.Another thing you could try is use a F.A.I size plane with your motor but it won't turn as tight as a regular fast combat but you will get more speed.Oh almost forgot we used .021 lines also for safety if you do use .018 you really want to use a fuel shutuff for safeteysake.
edfman is offline Find More Posts by edfman
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
edf: TY, good Info!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:04 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
880 Posts
If you read the comment about Randy Smith's Precision Aero engines, you know that Henry Nelson retired from producing model engines. Another machinist bought all his equipment and is now supplying Randy's raw material. When last available new, I seem to recall a $260 price tag for the 36. Only the 15s and 36s were intended for maximum performance.

Dubby's 40s start from $269, and that's not the hairiest one of what he sells in that size.

P. S. Jeff told me that Henry is my age. I know I look it, even if the face in the mirror when I shave "looks wrong" compared to the average picture I think of for myself, blurring the changes all together, but when I last saw Henry, I thought he was ten years younger than myself.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
just talked to one of my old combat freinds they flew a granderdog with a nelson a couple of few weeks ago and clocked it at 130 m.p.h. on 60" lines,so your goal is'nt that far off not sure about the 80' lines though seems a bit long anyway I was cleaning my shop and found a couple of fuel shutoffs if you want one it's yours just p.m. me and I'll send it to you no charge no postage just passing on some help.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
any body else want them?send me a couple of stamps there yours