HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:25 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Discussion
Gas prices, no, peanut butter prices rise 40%

My Smucker's natural creamy is now $3.39 at Target and $3.69 at Publix. Both stores raised it one dollar. I had seen several price increases at Target on other things, and decided to wait and get it at Publix, only to discover they also went up.

Poor peanut crop and farmer's concentrating on other crops whose prices have risen.

Quote:
Prices for a ton of runner peanuts, commonly used to make peanut butter, hit nearly $1,200 this month, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's up from just $450 per ton a year ago. Overall, the USDA projects that American peanut production will hit 3.6 billion pounds this year, down 13% from last year.

Analysts attribute this drop to the intense heat and drought that hit the southern U.S. this year, as well as to high prices for other crops that led farmers to focus their efforts elsewhere.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/31/mark...ices/index.htm
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
You mean like government subsidies for crops to make ethanol?
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:30 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
So, peanut harvest down 13%, so if I bought 100 jars at $239, I should still be able to get 87 jars at $239, or $2.75 a jar. Yet the price has gone up from $450 a ton from last year to $1200 a ton on the commodities market. Sounds like oil and gas prices and that market to me.

Not making sense. Once again, speculation driving prices in the commodities markets?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:32 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
You mean like government subsidies for crops to make ethanol?
Probably not. Georgia is called the peach state, but doesn't produce as many peaches as one county in SC. We could be called the peanut state as we do grow the most peanuts. Most corn grown here is for the dinner table, or for cattle feed. A lot of the peanuts are for hog feed. If there were a car that ran on pork rinds....

I think New Mexico grows all or most of the Valencia peanuts, or Spanish peanuts, the rest are likely in the south.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:23 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,426 Posts
I'm refusing to buy my normal cereal.

A 350g box went up from 2.99 to 3.19 - that's after it went up from 2.49 to 2.99 about a month previously! (So around a 30% rise in a about a month or so).

What confuses me is how nobody claims to ever make any money in business (well, until profit reports come in) and yet large price rises go somewhere!

It ain't going in salaries here (which have been falling), that's for sure!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:27 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
They just shrank the cereal boxes over here. No one making any money... $3 for 15 cents worth of grain...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:20 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
141 Posts
This thread seems like a complete lack of understanding of markets how they are effected by subsidies to me.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:29 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
This thread seems like a complete lack of understanding of markets how they are effected by subsidies to me.
Not just subsidies. This thread lacks an understanding of how markets work. Period.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:37 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Not just subsidies. This thread lacks an understanding of how markets work. Period.
By all means, if you can make accusations, you can certainly explain them.

I know many come here to belittle. Without explaining what I don't understand, your declarations are hollow as the old dead tree in the woods where I grew up.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
It ain't going in salaries here (which have been falling), that's for sure!
Be a real producer start you own biz...so when you wake up in the Morning you can only blame who your looking at in the mirror
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:17 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
I was going to say that's why I said AND, but I see that I somehow dropped the word.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,087 Posts
It's all Jimmy Carter's fault.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:54 AM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
Bush's Fault
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
not only peanut butter.I've been seeing prices increases in most food products...some of it is outrageous.The cream cheese products for breakfast have risen about 30% since springtime.

...what...almost $4 for a box of cereal.?I know it's all linked to gas prices,but..I don't think we've seen the last of it.

We had some discussion on this matter last April.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=food+prices
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:03 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Food prices seem to rising for stuff we buy, although Costco is holding their big pumpkin pie price firm at $5.99, where it's been for many years. The only time we buy peanut butter is when we need bait for the varmint live trap (ground squirrels, pack rats, etc.).
Quote:
The food at home index has risen 6.2 percent over the past 12 months with all six major groups up between 4.9 percent (nonalcoholic beverages) and 9.0 percent (dairy and related products).
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...rt-text-.html#
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48