SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 08, 2010, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. I use the basic criteria that a trainer is rated good or bad by the time it gives the pilot to correct mistakes before hitting the ground. For me, I put aside cost, appearance, and parts availability (which are all important). Given that criteria, I think there are many, many planes that are very superior to the Cub in any form. Oddly, I think the Radian would make one of the best trainers on the market because of the time it gives a person to recover from mistakes. Also, it can easily fly 6-8 mistakes high without losing orientation. I plan to report on the Sky Surfer when I get mine. I have a hunch it will be a better trainer than the Cub, too. IMO, the Cub is an excellent choice for a 2nd plane. I think my opinion is qualified based on all the planes and experience that I have. 2500GENE knows my background from another thread and can verify my experience. Again, all this is IMO. If I put out there this question "What is the best Trainer?", I am sure I would get 100's of "right" answers,
AJ

respectfully you should apologise
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2010, 04:50 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
respectfully you should apologise
For what?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 08, 2010, 04:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
wrong quote button.. lol.. sorry
that's the result of having 2893763287362873682 windows opened
Old Apr 08, 2010, 04:53 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
How does that link help solve JPs problem?
It has nothing to do with JP's problem and was not intended to address his situation. It is also a Sky Surfer thread and we all like information about the plane we bought or are going to buy. An adjunct thread is as necessary as this one.
AJ
Old Apr 08, 2010, 04:56 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
wrong quote button.. lol.. sorry
that's the result of having 2893763287362873682 windows opened
That makes me want to go hide in the closet when I do that (which is all too often for me). However, it is good to know that I am not the only one.
AJ
Old Apr 08, 2010, 06:50 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Think positive AJ I know you can do it!!!! With all of your experience you are a great asset don't allow the dark side to lure you in!!!!
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
as a little apprentice master please forgive me.. I have yet many things to learn..
forgive me you may. :P

oh and btw I ordered a 2200kv motor for my pusher and I'm gonna try a 7x4 and 7x5E pusher prop. I think it's gonna fall appart in mid air with the speed that this motor is able give.
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:28 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
as a little apprentice master please forgive me.. I have yet many things to learn..
forgive me you may. :P

oh and btw I ordered a 2200kv motor for my pusher and I'm gonna try a 7x4 and 7x5E pusher prop. I think it's gonna fall appart in mid air with the speed that this motor is able give.
The APC7x5E is not a pusher prop
Why do want to use a pusher prop?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 09, 2010, 12:51 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Which 2200kv? Link please. I have used several 2200kv motors and the prop requirements can be different (and usually are). And what 2500GENE said and asked, too.
AJ
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:07 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Sky Surfer Good News

The Good News-> I got my SS last night at 11pm PST from UPS (I get special treatment from them) delivered to my front doorstep. So, I submit this as a record for a BH order to delivery time. Technically, they got the order Mon morning 4/05 at 8am and it was delivered on 4/7 at 11pm. That is 2 1/2 days from order to delivery. WOW!!!! Since Saralyn gets blamed for everything else, I give her the "blame" for this OUTSTANDING service. Well, done Saralyn and BH. To me, this is a big step in the right direction and I am seeing more and more positive input from other customers. IMO, I would not hesitate to order again from BH. I hope others feel the same way.
The Bad News-I am in Hawaii until late tomorrow night to inspect my SS. My daughter-in-law got it off the porch last night and called me immediately. So, I hope to have it assembled this weekend and submit some pics and video and hopefully another positive report on the process.
Forgive my cross posting. But, I am happily sharing my positive news with the other 2 threads that I follow. BH has a long way to go to a good reputation and I for one think they can do it.
AJ
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Which 2200kv? Link please. I have used several 2200kv motors and the prop requirements can be different (and usually are). And what 2500GENE said and asked, too.
AJ
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-955.html

and another link to youtube at aplane where Rcpowers uses that motor on a plane very similar to the Surfer
Modified RC Plane! CRAZY!!! (5 min 39 sec)
Old Apr 09, 2010, 04:08 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-955.html

and another link to youtube at aplane where Rcpowers uses that motor on a plane very similar to the Surfer
I am very familiar with that plane (Wild Hawk) and I own 2 of them. I have 3 of those 2212-6 motors. Here are some stats that might help you:
Prop / Amps
6x4e APC - 26.67
7x4 SF - 35.32
7x5E TGS - 42.43
I would recommend using a 6x4E because both the other props are too much over the max amp rating of the motor. The max rating of that motor from several sources is 22A on the average for max efficiency. It gets very, very hot with a 7x5E on it. So, if you choose to try those props, please monitor the heat of them very closely. I love running over the max of motors just to find out what the "real" max is for a given motor. While I have not burned up any motors, the heat destroys the magnets and the motor ends up being a dog or tossed in the garbage can. That is what happens to all of mine that measure over 190* (measured as part of an Eagle Tree system) when I land them and read the log. In my experience, that temp is the kiss of death for the motor because after they cool off and I put them on a test bench again, they typically have about 1/2 of the thrust they did when new. So, be aware of this but have fun. I just don't want you to trash any motors like the many, many motors that I have ruined.
Part 2 - That motor is an outrunner. I cannot tell from the pictures-does the SS come with an inrunner or outrunner brushless upgrade? The pictures suggest that it is an inrunner (probably 28mm?) Of course, I will find out tomorrow night when I get home and unwrap mine. If it an inrunner, the question is - how do you plan to mount the outrunner. I know of many ways to do it. But, how do YOU plan to do it? I am always open to new ways of doing things.
AJ
Old Apr 09, 2010, 06:18 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Maiden Soon

Darn. I can hardly wait to get home and build/assemble this rascal.
AJ
Old Apr 09, 2010, 06:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
it's an outrunner but I'm installing it on a Wing Dragon which is also a pusher. it's easy to install as I already have made a mount when I removed the brushed motor and installed the brushless that I currently have.

I put a piece of wood from the inside where the brushed motor used to be and I screwd the base of the motor there.. VEry solid then used some locktite on the screws that holed the motor with the base... 28mm that is...

Let me know what is the motor exactly when you get it. Btw if you noticed this is V2 motor.
I didn't order the ESC as I already have one at 18 amps that is already running on the WD and another one that I pulled off from my F-22 which is 50 amps. currently i'm running a 3s setup which I don't have the numbers but with the 4s I only got 12.6amps on a 7x4 prop. VERY powerful on 4S but nose heavy.

To deal with the heat theres nothing I can do I think.. I will just pray :P
Old Apr 09, 2010, 08:37 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hawaii and bad news just don't go together!!!!!
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1