HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:24 AM
what goes up must be good
Joined Feb 2009
55 Posts
Discussion
Anyone know a similar but better than Ikarus SuperStar Shockflier?

Hi all,

I'm seeking the advice of the good people of this forum i want to get back into 3d shockfliers after flying gliders for a long time.

I used to have an Ikarus Super Star which I crashed a long time ago and just salvage for parts now. It was good on the whole but had lots of tail twist when doing rolls.

Would appreciate people's thoughts on a superior similar sized and airframe design shockie kit or plan.

I want to set it up a bit "heavy" for flying outdoors in small fields (not indoors) and i would like to use a gws 85 watt 2050kv outrunner with 8 x 4 gws prop and 2s 740mah lipos i aready have preferably.

thanks
onelastflight is offline Find More Posts by onelastflight
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:29 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,553 Posts
3D foamies have come a long way since the days of the Shockies!

I would recommend a Twisted Hobbies Extra Slick. Your power system will work fine with it (I don't know what you have for servos, so if you are in doubt just get the recommended servos from Twisted, they are inexpensive). The plane will fly a little bit better but it will be almost indestructible because it's made from EPP instead of depron.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Mr. Foam, Tape, and Carbon
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Get some GWS 8X4.3 slo-fly props if you really want to wake up that motor.
Go for something epp, like the 3DHS Extra 330 or the Edge that they have. Anything that size and epp will make you smile with the electronics you have. Preferably a machine without landing gear to snap off.

Chris G.
RCvehicleGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,600 Posts
740 mah sounds like too much battery weight for your motor, if you want 3D. You may find yourself having to dive into loops with that combination. A 130 watt motor or a 350 mah battery would work better IMO.
Jack the R is online now Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
If you wanted a real 3D system then a 350 mah 2s would be best. I also know of a nice motor that is only 35 dollars. The Hacker a10-9l will turn whatever you're making into a rocket ship!

Chris G.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,600 Posts
RCplanebuilder.com has the Blue Wonder for $13, it's what I'm flying on my 30ish WS 3D plane. The vertical isn't immense but my bird is made from the heavier weight EPP.

The Hacker is undoubtedly the better motor however.
Jack the R is online now Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
The 9l is a fantastic little beast and when matched with a balanced and tracked prop it really hauls a 5 ounce foamie around like nobody's business. I recommend it greatly.
And if you like smaller and lighter things the 15s is also a good motor. Lighter and a little less power but still moves a plane very well.