New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by pdooley
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
1,819 Posts
have you guys had any luck making a cheap gyro work on a 500 or bigger heli? i tried an HK401 and Detrum GV48, they both stunk.
FBL head and yellow kbar locked in the tail on my 500, but I have another flybar 500 i'd like to get going. thinking about just getting another kbar and setting up tail only.
pdooley is online now Find More Posts by pdooley
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,813 Posts
I am using the skyartec 600 . Seems to work good with the 500 so far . I got them a while back but the price of the Kbar as a tail gyro would probably be better.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,813 Posts
Well no maiden today got that stupid sentry turnegy esc that needs to be plugged into the balance lead I needed the 6 cell to balance it out and the plug only goes to 4 cell count . Now I need to take it out of the fuselage and replace the esc with a different one . My 5000 pack 4 cell puffed a long time ago that I used and don't have another , always something !
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
have you guys had any luck making a cheap gyro work on a 500 or bigger heli? i tried an HK401 and Detrum GV48, they both stunk.
FBL head and yellow kbar locked in the tail on my 500, but I have another flybar 500 i'd like to get going. thinking about just getting another kbar and setting up tail only.
I have a few of the el cheapo gyros and they truly sucked even on a 450. I only hovered my EXI 500 with a real Futaba 401 and it was nice and solid. The Futaba gyros go pretty cheap now and I have several of the GP series that are really easy to setup too. I'm still trying to get a chance to try the 500 since the K-Bar and DFC upgrades. I love being able to do all the K-Bar setup on the PC. For that reason alone it's worth it to make the change to FBL. The Vstabi software is amazingly good! If you stay with flybar then because everyone is going FBL it's a buyer's market for straight gyros now. Kind of like when 2.4ghz came on the scene. While I have a lot of Spektrum I've cleaned up buying 72mhz equipment dirt cheap. I never have to worry about being "shot down" because I have the entire 72mhz frequency band to myself almost anywhere I'd chose to fly.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Well no maiden today got that stupid sentry turnegy esc that needs to be plugged into the balance lead I needed the 6 cell to balance it out and the plug only goes to 4 cell count . Now I need to take it out of the fuselage and replace the esc with a different one . My 5000 pack 4 cell puffed a long time ago that I used and don't have another , always something !
Bummer! Sorry to hear that.

I love the looks of my MD500 fuse but the need to tear it all apart for even minor things is what made me decide to tear it down. I had "at the time of build" a nice Microheli T-Rex frame with ceramic bearings and all Beam head and tail components so I would have the best of everything in it. I still had to take it apart several times before I got the rudder servo even close. After all that work I was scared to do anything but hover it for fear of causing damage. It was just too pretty and cool to risk a crash from my dumb thumbs. I admire anyone that flys a full fuse heli knowing first hand how much work goes into them.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,813 Posts
I hear you on that . I put this together and flew it as pod and boom first then bought a TT tail from hobby king so I didn't need to deal with the belt . That would of killed me trying to get the belt setup in that thing . I don't fly these as much as I want to for the same reason . I would cry like a little girl picking up the pieces