New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
3,062 Posts
This is not the issue he was speaking about when he upgraded to a digital servo the output shaft location was at a different place. Even if the servo arm went on perfectly like the old servo at 90 because the location of the output shaft changed his flight surface will no longer be at 0. Then he will have to subtrim and the arm will not be at 90 just to have the surface at 0.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge repair
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by mdxp67
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2000
181 Posts
Thanks Camoy. You explained it correctly.
I do hope that PA will incorporate adjustable control rods into their planes. This issue has been raised over the years but PA never got around to it, always insisting it is a non issue.
mdxp67 is offline Find More Posts by mdxp67
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
216 Posts
From what i have seen, PA uses an expecive constuction methode(high part count and lots of CF). To stay compettitive with there price, they need to cut cost. So if you want the adjustble rods, just buy them seperately.
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:23 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2000
181 Posts
I love flying PA planes, I have 4, but I would hesitate to get another. The structure is beautiful to look at, always a work of art. But all those awesome lightening holes make the liteply much weaker. From a structural engineering point of view, the holes on the corners of bays actually make sense for saving weight, but only if it was a homogenous material like sheet metal or carbon. On liteply, those holes weaken the glue bond between plies and cause failure in light accidents. Then they make repair super difficult compared to competitors' simpler designs with minimal holes.

I do not doubt when all the great flyers here say how they have hardly any structural issues with their PA planes. I ding my my planes much less than last time. It has got do with how proficient your 3d flying skills are. All I am saying is personally I find it a heartache whenever dumbthumb a PA plane as I know there will always be repair to do and it won't be easy.
On that note, I would like to say, AddictionX is pretty tough structurally. Maybe it is because it flies very slowly and has impeccable manner. On the other end, the small Addiction is super fragile. You can crunch something just by picking it up wrong.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:33 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2000
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffertjesporem View Post
From what i have seen, PA uses an expecive constuction methode(high part count and lots of CF). To stay compettitive with there price, they need to cut cost. So if you want the adjustble rods, just buy them seperately.
I doubt there is much price difference between the adjustable metal clevis and PA's non adjustable metal rod ends. All I am saying is why make excuses that it can't be done. It is the buyer's money and he can choose whatever brand of planes he wants to buy, there are other brands that have adjustable rods.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 09:05 AM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
216 Posts
We can have a discusion about the rods, buth i rather talk about the planes

The biggest reason i look at the competition, is that in the always windy Holland i could use a (relatively)heavy plane in my hanger to allow more flying days.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by demonGti
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,138 Posts
The most fun I ever have IS on windy days! My 260 and AMR are the best for these days.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by braeckman
Joined Mar 2007
66 Posts
it is not forbitten to put larger batteries in the planes if you have problems with stronger winds.
But I am not sure this helps a lot.
Alvin
braeckman is offline Find More Posts by braeckman
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:14 PM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
216 Posts
I don't mind flying in wind, it just that my addy x looks rediculous when doing crosswind knife edge flight following the runway lol.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by braeckman
Joined Mar 2007
66 Posts
I suppose you think it looks ridiculous because it doesn't follow the path of the runway and flies in "waves"....if so, I would sugggest you learn to put the plane in an angle against the wind, and slip....
Alvin .
braeckman is offline Find More Posts by braeckman
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:39 PM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
216 Posts
I can follow the lines made by the lawnmower is the grass trip, but flying cockpit first just looks rediculous(massive slip/drift)...happy weekend Alvin
Old Jul 17, 2015, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by aerofundan
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,822 Posts
PA planes LOVE the wind Here is two videos to prove it

XR-52 Windy day at Joe Nall 2015 flown by Jojo Rodriguez (4 min 5 sec)

XR-52 Windy day at Joe Nall 2015 flown by Daniel Dominguez (4 min 39 sec)
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 17, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Joined May 2004
1,303 Posts
Precision Aerobatics 58" Extra MX Official Roll Out Thread **New Video**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxp67 View Post
I doubt there is much price difference between the adjustable metal clevis and PA's non adjustable metal rod ends. All I am saying is why make excuses that it can't be done. It is the buyer's money and he can choose whatever brand of planes he wants to buy, there are other brands that have adjustable rods.

I generally don't like using clevices so I switched to ball links on both ends of the pushrods. And to make them adjustable, I installed a Dubro threaded rod end to one end of the pushrod, thus making the length adjustable. This is very easy to do. I used JB Weld to glue the ball link on one end and the threaded rod end on the other.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437161395.389632.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 47.5 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437161405.404347.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 294.6 KB
Description:
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by tubamike78
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
Checking to see if anyone has a thrust 50 laying around with bad windings but has a good can and magnets. I had a couple magnets break on mine. It was one I received second hand last year with the extra mx I purchased at a swap meet. Motor ran fine for about 20 flights until it suddenly had a reduction in power. Shaun from P.A. has offered me a 25% discount on a new motor which I thought was very generous since it is a second hand motor and not in warranty. I will be getting a new one but I hate to just throw out the old one without at least trying to get it working again.
tubamike78 is offline Find More Posts by tubamike78
Old Jul 22, 2015, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by Cobalt9
Joined Jun 2015
6 Posts
A week into the build, right wing is still giving me trouble. Left wing is perfect, anti-rotation pins slide perfectly into place, aileron hinge is smooth, all is well. Right wing's anti-rotation pins are crooked and the rear one fell back into the wood after trying to re-align it. The front one still managed to accidentally knock a small chunk of wood off the fuselage when I tried to slide it in after re-alignment. Going to just pull out both of the back ones and epoxy in a fixed pin that goes through the fuselage. Might have to do it for the front two too depending on if I can get the right one aligned straight or not. Aileron hinge is stiffer than the one on the left and you can hear a moderately loud friction noise when you move it. This plane is a big headache for a first time balsa flier. It feels so fragile I'm always afraid I'm going to break it during assembly. Don't even get me started on the motorbox shenanigans.
Cobalt9 is offline Find More Posts by Cobalt9