HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2007, 04:26 PM
RBS
Auckland. New Zealand
Joined May 2007
29 Posts
Discussion
Riser 100 spoilers

Slowly getting my Riser built. Currently up to spoiler installation.
Ive got a couple of mini servos spare so am tossing up which way to go.
The dacron line method seems simple. If I use servos, will I be having to add
extra nose weight to get the CG right. Would be interested in any feedback.

Cheers.

Ray from downunder.
RBS is offline Find More Posts by RBS
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2007, 05:50 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Ray,
Im sorry you will have to add weight if you put the servos in the wings. And if you use the string method. So that leaves the best senario will be to put the string system in and put the servo and its weight in the fuse forward as possible. This will allow the least amount of dead weight to balance the plane. Be sure to strenghen the fuse directly behind the wing saddle and at the leading edge of the fin.
Its a good flyer you will enjoy it.
Bob
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:26 PM
RBS
Auckland. New Zealand
Joined May 2007
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby legue
Ray,
Im sorry you will have to add weight if you put the servos in the wings. And if you use the string method. So that leaves the best senario will be to put the string system in and put the servo and its weight in the fuse forward as possible. This will allow the least amount of dead weight to balance the plane. Be sure to strenghen the fuse directly behind the wing saddle and at the leading edge of the fin.
Its a good flyer you will enjoy it.
Bob

Thanks Bob. A couple of other things. Ill be launching with a hi-start. I was thinking of ordering one from Tower. Any thoughts on what size. Also, does the Riser fuse need any strengthening where you would hold it for launching. Ill be launching solo so will be hanging on tight.
Ray
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:02 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,401 Posts
Ray,

I had a Riser 100, and I put mini servos in the wing to direct drive the spoilers. It worked very well, had positive closing (no chance of popping open on launch) and the added weight (if any) was negligible. She was a beautiful ship, my very first launch was a pop off, and I still got a 20 minute flight on her! I would recommend using 2 servos, one in each wing, and a y-connector in the fuse going to the servo leads. (you'd also need some servo extensions of course) I was going to build another one, but got sidetracked on other projects, and sold my kit to none other than Bobby Legue! I have since ordered another, and will have it ready to fly in this year's Fall Fest in Visalia, CA. I did a lot of thinking about it, and for the ease & quickness of build, and overall flight performance, she's hard to beat.

I recommend strengthening the aft part of the fuse where the stab meets the fuse, and maybe just behind the wing as well, but overall she's a tough bird. Best of luck!

And Bob, are you going to Visalia this year?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:29 AM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
I am flying a Riser 100 and think it's great!! Do go with the two servo spoilers as mentioned by LVsoaring. You won't regret it. Also do strengthen behind the wing as mentioned by Bob, but remember one thing, when you strengthen you weaken another point. How do I know My fuse on the Riser developed a crack on both sides at the former in question before I even flew it. It was in my vehicle and a bump in the road caused the fuse to "whiplash" the tail. I had put triangle stock on the tail side of the former, but not on the other side (the weaker side, dumb ). I repaired it with some CA and a bit of triangle stock. All was fine until the plane had a very mild ground loop and the fuse snapped in half. This time I used some ply (the ply from the lightening holes in the fuse) that went through the former on both sides of the fuse. Not a problem since (that's the curse of the cat people right there ).

Keith
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Aug 06, 2007, 01:36 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,043 Posts
Since the spoiler servos will be VERY close to the CG, the nose weight will be minimal.
Use the biggest battery that you can fit. It will be useful weight instead of dead weight.
Repeat what has been said about the fuse.

LV, were did you order one from? I have been looking for one since mine was lost in a corn field (too far out, too low) and most likely harvested.
Spent the rest of a Saturdy looking instead of flying, came back Sunday and the corn field was stubbles.
I still chuckle thinking about somebody finding a 1000 mha battery, a rx and 4 servos in their corn Not to mentiom the balsa, plywood and monokote

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 06, 2007, 01:56 AM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,401 Posts
Thermaler, I just placed the order directly with Sig, www.sigmgf.com I also think Sheldon's Hobbies has them too. Not sure if they are actually in stock though, so I'm gonna check with Sig tomorrow. I'll post here and let you know.

Ray, ditto to putting the biggest battery you can in the nose. I have an 1800 mah that I used in my old Riser, and will use it for the new one as well.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 03:54 AM
RBS
Auckland. New Zealand
Joined May 2007
29 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.

Ray
Old Aug 06, 2007, 04:07 AM
Electronic juggler
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
I also recommend the servos, I've had the string thing for 10 years on my Riser (only flown for 1,5 of them) and I could never get them to work properly so I taped them up and don't use them. Especially since the wing is just banded in place it used to move a little sideways and that caused unequal travel of the spoilers... But maybe I could do the whole thing neater now with a little more building experience.

The plane is at the moment equipped with a new fuse, a camera just ahead of the wing and 200W of brushless, but the spoilers are taped close until they are modified to be driven from the wing, maybe next winter. AUW is around 1500g, full throttle gives three minutes of rise at 30deg which is quite enough for high photo altitude.

One thing I'll add with the spoiler mod is wrap the root spar with some kevlar, my joiner tubes have cracked free from between the spars 3-4 times from planting the plane to the ground. Don't know where the kevlar reinforcement will direct the cracking force then though, I guess I'll find out.

-Jussi
jsirkia is offline Find More Posts by jsirkia
Old Aug 06, 2007, 02:43 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,401 Posts
Hey Thermaler, I just called Sig, the Riser 100 is, at the moment, on back order, but I spoke to Mike at the order desk, he said they just got a shipment of wood in today, and would be cutting and packing kits in the next couple of days, and it should ship out by the end of the week. Sheldon's did not have it in stock.

Rick
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:43 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,043 Posts
Thank you LV, now were did I hide the RC credit card or was it the lil' lady that hide it?

When I build my new one I will again take the time and hassel of doing the bolt on wing also.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:47 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler
Thank you LV, now were did I hide the RC credit card or was it the lil' lady that hide it?

When I build my new one I will again take the time and hassel of doing the bolt on wing also.

Joe
Mine is rubber banded mainly because I need that security of not ripping the wings off if I ground loop. I've not done that in a long time, but never say never, right? Do you think there's much to gain by bolting?

Keith
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Aug 07, 2007, 12:12 AM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,401 Posts
Keith, nylon bolts are extremely strong in tension, but are designed to shear fairly easily. So, if you catch a wingtip, only the bolts break, not the wing. Bolts are much more secure on a winch launch, and just look so much cooler too!
Old Aug 07, 2007, 09:01 PM
USA, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Feb 2005
59 Posts
Might get one here:

http://www.abc-rc-hobby.com/airplanes.htm

Dan
dinchl is online now Find More Posts by dinchl
Old Aug 09, 2007, 06:31 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,401 Posts
Sig's website now shows my order as "packed", so I assume it will ship tomorrow as they said. If anyone wants one, probably best to call them direct.