HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:30 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,345 Posts
Everything you ever wanted to know about why the dorsal fin was fitted to Mustangs, both low and high back versions. It may not be for the reasons generally accepted!

http://www.mustangsmustangs.us/theha...hp?topic=388.0
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:25 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,381 Posts
Thanks guys I am glad to have created a talking point.

I appreciate the nice comments but there are more differences than just drop tanks and fuel caps but many manufacture models with worse scale inaccuracies.

A couple more pics of my model and one of the offending dorsal fin strake on the full size plane.
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Royal Australian Navy Sea Fury
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:45 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,966 Posts
If it flies it flies.........

Thats all that matters in this case.

True scale modification can be very very nice to do but flying the model is the most fun.
Though I myself love modding a plane to scale.

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:51 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,095 Posts
Let the people with nothing else better to do pick your plane to pieces Lexta; you've done an outstanding job on your model and I think you should be applauded for your efforts....keep up the great work!

Like KH said, if it flies, that's the nexus where history and fun intersect. And besides, when it's flying, from 20 or more feet away, nobody can see anything more than a B model Mustang, and in the end, that's all that really matters
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Carbon Z Cub
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Let the people with nothing else better to do pick your plane to pieces Lexta; you've done an outstanding job on your model and I think you should be applauded for your efforts....keep up the great work!

Like KH said, if it flies, that's the nexus where history and fun intersect. And besides, when it's flying, from 20 or more feet away, nobody can see anything more than a B model Mustang, and in the end, that's all that really matters
Here here
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Foam Model Stand
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
www.thunderbolt-gallery.com
Joined Mar 2007
175 Posts
I wasn't nitpicking or bashing anyone's build- the dorsal fin looked weird on the model and the full size, something I've never noticed on a B or C.
I've been an aircraft mechanic, artist and a model builder my whole life, so its in my nature to notice stuff. I also know that that I don't know everything, unless your one of my kids, then I do know everything!

Steve
MIGl7 is offline Find More Posts by MIGl7
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:22 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,095 Posts
Not meant as a personal attack on you Steve by any stretch of the imagination...

I'm just a little weary of all the "scale police" out there noting all the "defects" with some of these models. I've always felt if someone's gonna go through all the trouble to modify their planes to look like something they like, then I'll support their efforts and laud their creativity

There are alot of creative folks displaying their work here on RCG, and on this thread in particular. You just never know what's gonna show up !

Cheers,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Carbon Z Cub
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:48 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,966 Posts
Just a small example of what little work can make something look more scale and fun.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1717

With thanx to BrandonMoon.

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:19 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I'm just a little weary of all the "scale police" out there noting all the "defects" with some of these models. I've always felt if someone's gonna go through all the trouble to modify their planes to look like something they like, then I'll support their efforts and laud their creativity
I think you can support someones efforts, while at the same time pointing out areas where there can be improvement. If we just praised everything, nothing would get any better. I think it's all in how someone presents their comments, like "that's really a great model, but did P-51Bs have fin strakes?" Besides nicely questioning what the modeler did, it also gives you an out since you're not definitively declaring what he did was wrong.
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:24 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
Enjoy guys, lots of warbirds in here.
RC Air Training Command Video Montage Fun (8 min 0 sec)
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:59 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
Unboxing is finished!
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:12 AM
What...me worry?
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGl7 View Post
Well as a guy that's been pouring over this stuff since my eyes have been open, I can't believe how wrong I was about something so well known. What an amateur mistake.

Steve
The thing about that period of history (war) is that there was a rapid movement in aeronautic technology, creating a LOT of variety and some real oddities...the McDonnel XP-67 Moonbat, for instance. I can easily see, also, some enterprising crew chief requisitioning a "replacement" fin strake...or cannibalizing a really beat up "D model". Come to think of it, finding documentation of an extensively field-modded warbird would make for a good scale project!
End ramble...
Regards,
Scott
bluswede is offline Find More Posts by bluswede
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:24 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmjim View Post
unboxing is finished!
lol
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:39 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Enjoy guys, lots of warbirds in here.
Yes, there was! It was quite enjoyable to watch too - much better than the usual offering which is nothing more than a blue rectangle with a pair of dark pixels somewhere in the frame
Nice work - have yourself a beer!
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:01 PM
www.thunderbolt-gallery.com
Joined Mar 2007
175 Posts
Just finished- Now wait for weather

Steve
MIGl7 is offline Find More Posts by MIGl7