HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:02 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
417 Posts
Discussion
oldest bird in you fleet

I don't know if this has been done but lets see,
must be the oldest plane, not by design but by age, it must still be intact and flyable
mine would be my 60 cloud dancer from the original plans before it was kitted,
I did a roof for a friend and part of the payment was the plane, this was in the late 80's i would say 88 or 89, it was when it first came out. since I've gotten it it has been through 4 engines wearing out 3, 3 recoverings, and 2 major overhauls, damage not from crashes but from wear and tear, so that would put it around 25 years old
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:18 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,213 Posts
My Miss Delaware built in 1972,still flying after similar wear and tear re-dos making her 42 years old. She's been powered with a K&B .40, A Super Cyclone, A Brown Junior. a old.35 FS open rocker and now with electric
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:29 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,788 Posts
ELECTRIC??? your slippin Warren! lol

I have a couple that I restored that are over 50yrs old.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Feb 14, 2014, 09:38 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,213 Posts
No worries Bill. 4 bolts and a couple wires another whole nose with a Brown Jr can put her right. I use the electric so I can fly her at the local schoolyard..
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:20 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,822 Posts
Well at this time two candidates would be my two Combat Airmadillo planes, both date back to 1990-91. I still fly them from time to time too. My Challenger II biplane dates from around 1986-87, and it is still flyable but I haven't taken it out recently though.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:45 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,043 Posts
It would be my Legion Air 140 given to me by Jim Deck on my 50th birthday.
The following year Jim and I flew it at the NATS Nostalgia. If we could have combined my first four rounds with Jims last four rounds the Legion Air would have been top three.
Jim says it was built around 1973.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:10 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Luton Minor from Aeromodeller built in 1962.

Miranda Seaplane from Aeromodeller built in 1971.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Feb 15, 2014, 01:33 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,323 Posts
Majestic Major and Eliminator

I also have an Eliminator, still in perfect condition, with an Elfin 1.49, that was built in the mid-seventies, but I don't have a photo.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the PAW 19RC TBR diesel
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:59 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,765 Posts
I wouldn't call it vintage, but I have a Limited Pennyplane I built around 1985 that's still flyable. The good prop needs some work due to abuse of the model box during a move, but I think the bad prop (really bad) is still intact. Another non-classic is a nocal that dates to something like 1995.

My other old planes were build by other people, although at this time last year I could have talked about a flyable Cumic that I built in 1990. Never really liked it! I have an Aquila that would be flyable if I put the radio back in and spent a few minutes with a Monokote iron de-warping it. I have no real idea how old it is, but perhaps the guy who built it remembers. Might have been when the design came out. I have a Pantera which was flown by that Chastain kid at the Tidewater Nats. (1989??) If it's not flyable, it's very close. If you can call it flying instead of falling. That thing is HEAVY. Blayne (sp?) must have been very talented to do so well with that plane.

It's nowhere near flyable, but I have a silk covered Cleveland Viking that needs new silk on the fuse, new tail surfaces, and a bit of installation work. I wonder how old it is? Seems to have been a free flight model up to now. So I guess that means it's no older than 73 years or so. And I'd guess it's post war.* Looks like someone reworked or repaired the nose relatively recently.

*My folks were kids during the war. However, while I was growing up, WW2 was recent enough that there were many war movie reruns on TV and you could get WW2 comics about a haunted Sherman tank at the little store downtown. Plus lots of WW2 history books in the school library. So I still think of it as "the war".
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:17 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,015 Posts
My oldest model is a Phil Kraft's Kiwk Fli Mk. III. I built it in 1970 and it is in pristine flying condition and beautifully kept. This model taught me to fly multi aerobatics and it is my all time favourite multi RC model. The Kwik Fli is simple, extremely simple, that was one of its advantages. But it is also beautiful and with a performance that, in my opinion, hasn't been met. It has defects, naturally, like the famous Kwik Fli dance but it is so stable and forgiving and so easy to build and maintain. See the photos the day of the first flight, me with black hair. Also the photo with my daughter Paloma when she was just 3. Interesting thread!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:42 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
My oldest model is a Phil Kraft's Kiwk Fli Mk. III. I built it in 1970 and it is in pristine flying condition and beautifully kept. This model taught me to fly multi aerobatics and it is my all time favourite multi RC model. The Kwik Fli is simple, extremely simple, that was one of its advantages. But it is also beautiful and with a performance that, in my opinion, hasn't been met. It has defects, naturally, like the famous Kwik Fli dance but it is so stable and forgiving and so easy to build and maintain. See the photos the day of the first flight, me with black hair. Also the photo with my daughter Paloma when she was just 3. Interesting thread!!
I built a Kwik Fly III and also had it powered with an Enya .60 but it was the first Enya .60 and not very powerful. It had mechanical retracts and the extra weight made it a poor performer with that engine. I sold it less engine to a young 14 yr old boy and he and dad put a hot .61 in it and he flew it for good while and it performed quite well when better powered.

IIRC, the build used a cardboard wing jig... my only build using that technique.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:49 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,015 Posts
The Kwik Fli needs lots of power. Its thick wing needs it!! Here in Bogotá at 2.650 meters ASL, it flies great with the Webra Speed because this engine is very powerful. With the Enya .60II performance was good but not outstanding. Mine has no retracts. Not available in 1970. I'm planning to order an ASP .61 engine which is a monster!!! It should fly very well with this one at this altitude.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:54 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
My oldest plane that is maintained flight ready is a Sig Skybolt built during the winter of 1976 and colored red, white and blue for the US bi-centennial celebration that year. Many planes built that year by modelers in the US had such a color scheme.

It was originally powered by an Enya .60 (first series) and later re-powered with a HB .61 PDP

The paint is K&B epoxy on Coveritte and the paint has cracked some so the plane gets flown only once a year on or close to the 4th of July.

AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:11 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,401 Posts
old pictures

Yes, old pictures.
I scanned these years ago and they were all together in one folder, so you get a little airplane and people pictures from years ago.

My sister and cousins 50 years ago.

Flying field, guessing some where in the 1980's

Harry and Leo and my dad are all long gone.

A few pictures of me in the groups.

I still have some of Leo's "stuff". I was going to throw out his old fuel (Leo's own mixes), but it is/was still very potent. Was going to burn some off and it went off with a big "whoosh"..lost a little arm hair, etc....LOL

Harry built well over 100 airplanes. Many .60 and up in size. All dope and silk. He loved to fly his models, sometimes he was out every day in the summer.

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:28 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,839 Posts
Old

Does this count? I finished it in 1961, I still have it but don't fly anymore.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor