HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2013, 05:03 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,901 Posts
Discussion
F-100 from RCM plans

I have Had the build bug for a while but couldn't find anything I wanted to build. For the past 10 years I have been obsessed with sports jets but decided I wanted something scale now. I wanted something that would fly on either electric or my k80 turbine.

I got plans for the Art Johnson F 100 which has a 56" span and 67" length and blew up to 115%. I think kinkos messed up the scaling up part but it is supposed to be 64.5" span and 77" length. I think it's a little under that. The plan is to mold the fuse and have my buddy cut wings and stabs. I am not going crazy scale. I want more of a sport/ scale jet.

In the pics you can see size next to a Flash which is 80" long and a Tornado. Tornado has a k80 and I also put a 120mm impeller on the fuse for scale.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,120 Posts
Great choice. Two friends of mine have F-100' s and they fly great. One is a 90mm fan and one is turbine with a JetCat P-100 in it. The turbine F-100 is about 76" long.

Subscribed.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:14 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
478 Posts
Nice Tumbler, Are you using the lost foam method to make the fuse? If so please elaborate. At 115% is the main former big enough to mount a 6" fan? I'm subbed.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Aug 25, 2013, 03:49 AM
EDF Vulcan To The Sky
Near Koblenz, Germany
Joined Jul 2002
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
At 115% is the main former big enough to mount a 6" fan?
Yes. The 100% has been designed around the Byron fan unit. I ordered plans and foam cores many years ago and actually looked at those again last week. Will be one of my next projects.
Frank
Radar-Guy is offline Find More Posts by Radar-Guy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:21 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,901 Posts
Hi Dean,
No I am making a female mold. The fuse is huge and
Can fit any fan put there.

I added 1/8 to the outside of all the formers to make up the distance the balsa planking would take up. Perhaps things would be different with the planking but I found in some of the areas the formers are not shaped right. I cut them all in half and laid them over the plans and did the left side first. I am going to have to shape the fuse manually to get it the right shape by trimming some of the formers, then I will make molds of the formers to use to the other side to make sure everything is symmetrical.
Brian

Quote:
Nice Tumbler, Are you using the lost foam method to make the fuse? If so please elaborate. At 115% is the main former big enough to mount a 6" fan? I'm subbed.

Dean
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:09 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Sweet project Tumbler!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:09 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,990 Posts
yeah really cool ...i call dibs on the mold when your ready to sell
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:34 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,430 Posts
Quote:

Dean
But, even if there's room for a 6" fan it will need a cheater hole to get enough air as I really doubt the inlet has enough area on it's own to feed the fan. Better off with a 5" fan in this size plane IMO
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:06 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,901 Posts
Thanks guys. My goal is to try not to get caught up in making it perfect. When I do that I get burned out and never finish. My buddy and I are working on this together. I am doing the fuse and he is doing the rest. Hopefully the teamwork will allow me to get it done. I will fly the first ne with my fan out of my XXX which is a 127mm Extremerc fan. I'll just put an intake ring and open depicting to test things out. Hoping to get the fuse mold done before it gets cold out for sanding outside and then can build the plane over the winter.

Wing root is 2". Any idea where I can get 3" wide foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
yeah really cool ...i call dibs on the mold when your ready to sell
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Sweet project Tumbler!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:01 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,412 Posts
QUOTE=Tumbler;25942460]
Wing root is 2". Any idea where I can get 3" wide foam?[/QUOTE]

I know this no help, but I was looking for a sheet awhile back., 2" is as thick as it gets this far south of the boarder, or so it seems.. It can be had, but at a price! http://www.menards.com/main/building...789-c-5779.htm Full bundle only--32 sheets X 48.67 = $1499.84 That's a lot of cores!! Try a local contractor or if you have some friends " north of the boarder" perhaps they might help out. Good luck.
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:13 PM
USA, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2006
410 Posts
Tumbler...if you insist on cutting your own wings try one of the foam wing cutting companies,
pretty sure they'll sell you what you need. If you want them cut, I would suggest flyingfoam.com,
they were here in Texas but the owner sold it and it's now in Colorado. They do CNC hot wire
cutting of cores and when they were here, Bob (old owner) did a great job. I had many wings cut by him.
335driver is offline Find More Posts by 335driver
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:42 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver View Post
Tumbler...if you insist on cutting your own wings ---.
335driver, Cutting cores is not that difficult.
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:40 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,901 Posts
Going to cost a lot to special order 3" foam so prob cheaper to just have them made. Worked on canopy area. Can't believe how massive this fuse is. Almost 11" tall at the peak of the canopy.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,120 Posts
Source for Foam

Brian:

I get my foam from an architectural foam supplier. These guys use different foam densities to make foam parts for home builders. They take the foam, cut it to shape and make fireplaces, corner moldings etc. Once cut they then coat the foam with a hard epoxy type coating to harden it and make it ready for paint/staining, etc. Look around for a company that does this kind of work. Here is a link to my local supplier:http://www.acefoam.com/

They sell foam up to 4' x 8' sheets up to 4" thick. They have densities from .75 lb./ cubic foot to above 3 lbs. I usually buy 2'x4' x 4" sheets from them

See if you can find someone like these guys locally.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,990 Posts
try the Composite store CST.com i think.they stock some foam ...tell them Rodger sent you ...im there best walk in customer
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY