HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 10:15 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,389 Posts
Mini-HowTo
making & mounting landing gear for F3P & freestyle planes

This "how to" thread will demonstrate a simple way to make and mount landing gear with wheels on F3P and freestyle depron planes.

I have a video that shows all steps needed to assemble the gear, and tips for mounting onto an airframe.

supplies needed:

Carbon fiber for legs. (you can use 1.5,1.2 or 1mm size.)
1.2mm was used in the video for the demonstration and a weight of 1.2g.

Braided fishing string for wrapping axle/leg joint. (use 10# or less)

Dubro small fuel tubing used for retaining the wheel to the axle

Thin CA glue

wheels

The weight for the landing gear, with wheels was 1.2g

aerolite (Dennis R.)

Remember to always use safety glasses and mask when cutting and sanding carbon fiber, and when using CA glue!

MAKING LANDING GEAR FOR FOAMIES (11 min 3 sec)
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Last edited by aerolite; May 03, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2010
60 Posts
making landing gear for F3P & freestyle planes

aerolite,

Nice thorough review. Specifics always are very helpful. Wish I would have had this concept to use before I started my current build. Really like the idea of the jig to make getting the angle of the axle relative to the strut as desired and the easily replaceable reinforcements at the top of the strut. Looks like a little extra mass to the airframe, but probably more than worth it if a repair or replacement of the landing gear is required.

Will give your process a shot on my next build.

Dave
DaveWhitt is offline Find More Posts by DaveWhitt
Last edited by DaveWhitt; May 02, 2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Wrong title
Old May 03, 2013, 07:42 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWhitt View Post
aerolite,

Nice thorough review. Specifics always are very helpful. Wish I would have had this concept to use before I started my current build. Really like the idea of the jig to make getting the angle of the axle relative to the strut as desired and the easily replaceable reinforcements at the top of the strut. Looks like a little extra mass to the airframe, but probably more than worth it if a repair or replacement of the landing gear is required.

Will give your process a shot on my next build.

Dave
Dave, thanks for the kind words. Give it a try, and let us know what you think. It's really easy to do, and works great on any foamy. I've been mounting my landing gear this way for several years, and have no problems at all with this setup. If you have any questions, or need additional photos, just let me know.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite