HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:06 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
USS Obama

Oh nice a boat load of Lib's, who is that up by the spot light ?
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:08 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatman View Post
Is it a rail gun? I don't think a 4-5" gun could reach that far---even with rocket assist
I'm not sure, when I read about the DD-21(SC-21) it had some sort of huge gun capability, and this one, the DDG-1000 series was changed, it carries missiles, so that might have been one of the changes due to budget cuts. It was a while back when I read about the DD-21, but I will look for the source, it may have been taken down, seems like it was from one of the big defense contractors, had some great renderings and animations...
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:10 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Jonas View Post
You don't believe that Ronald Reagan had as much of an impact on history as John Kennedy?

That's ridiculous on its face.
Speaking about faces, what coins does Reagan appear on?

Case closed.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:12 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
I did find this on Wiki:
Quote:
At first the plan was to install a twin-barreled Vertical Gun for Advanced Ships (VGAS), developed from experiments on advanced projectiles for the Iowa battleships, but this was dropped in favour of a conventional 5" gun and two 64-cell VLS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD21
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
You don't believe that Ronald Reagan had as much of an impact on history as John Kennedy?

That's ridiculous on its face.
Well, I guess this is Reagan's legacy:

The presidency of Ronald Reagan in the United States was marked by multiple scandals, resulting in the investigation, indictment, or conviction of over 138 administration officials, the largest number for any US president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_...ation_scandals
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
If I were to have some type of serious head trauma and abandoned Conservatism, would I have a tendency to seek more power than other groups and take revenge on political opponents ?
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:34 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post

Case closed.

In your mind, I'm sure it is.
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:38 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
Yes, personally, you toss out the penance of the social programs he passed near the end of his career and you have a power broker who had a lot of rather questionable acts, getting his Navy medal was interesting how that happened, as well as how his pilots of his private plane died. The guy was drunk with it.

I mean to read Robert A. Caro's books on Johnson, his book, the Power Broker on Robert Moses of NYC, is incredible. Really opened my eyes to a lot concerning power in the public sector.
But from what I could read he never served on a destroyer, so why a destroyer for him? Ford and Bush both served on carriers. Carter served on subs. Reagan, well...he made a movie about serving on a carrier.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:49 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
USS Obama

Wow... the boat that's taking us all to utopia!
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:26 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
But from what I could read he never served on a destroyer, so why a destroyer for him? Ford and Bush both served on carriers. Carter served on subs. Reagan, well...he made a movie about serving on a carrier.
Well, Roosevelt or Lincoln never served on aircraft carriers either... Although FDR was Sec. of the Navy.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:02 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post

Case closed.
John Kennedy is on that coin because he was assasinated. Not because he was a fabulous President.

Many, many people suspect that Kennedy's father "bought" him the 1960 Presidential Election.

He was a lying adulterer who pimped out 19 year old interns to other members of his staff.

He is also said to have had ties to the Mafia through his women.

John Kennedy gave you Vietnam. He believed in Eisenhower's Domino Effect.

I grew up Irish Catholic. My parents revered JFK because he was a charismatic, young, Irish Catholic who became President. Truth is, other than the Cuban Missile Crisis, which he handled admirably, he was a 3 year President that was assassinated.

Had there been the Press coverage then like there is today, he would be viewed entirely differently.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:47 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
287 Posts
Quote:
John Kennedy is on that coin because he was assasinated. Not because he was a fabulous President.

Many, many people suspect that Kennedy's father "bought" him the 1960 Presidential Election.

He was a lying adulterer who pimped out 19 year old interns to other members of his staff.

He is also said to have had ties to the Mafia through his women.

John Kennedy gave you Vietnam. He believed in Eisenhower's Domino Effect.

I grew up Irish Catholic. My parents revered JFK because he was a charismatic, young, Irish Catholic who became President. Truth is, other than the Cuban Missile Crisis, which he handled admirably, he was a 3 year President that was assassinated.

Had there been the Press coverage then like there is today, he would be viewed entirely differently.
Like most presidents, he was a complicated man. Still, he was the last one that INSPIRED people in my memory-with the exception of Obama (being the first black in that office).
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:57 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Like most presidents, he was a complicated man. Still, he was the last one that INSPIRED people in my memory-with the exception of Obama (being the first black in that office).
Inspiration.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,564 Posts
More inspiration.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:48 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,839 Posts
Tim, you are so correct re: inspiration.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor