Closed Thread
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post
My understanding is there is no way to capture and calibrate my mag from a log with this board.

Also, I don't have telemetry or a USB cable long enough to do the dance.

So, I calibrated my mag by setting the parameter "COMPASS_LEARN" to 1, then flew around a while, then set it back to 0. This seems to work.

Could someone could verify that this is a good approach?
Never tried that way, you need a 3DRadio, makes life a lot easier when tuning PID using CH6 and calibrating magnetometer PLUS Mission Planner can LOG your entire flight to your PC or laptop that has the Ground 3DRadio connected..
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Never tried that way, you need a 3DRadio, makes life a lot easier when tuning PID using CH6 and calibrating magnetometer PLUS Mission Planner can LOG your entire flight to your PC or laptop that has the Ground 3DRadio connected..
Thanks! Is it possible to use bluetooth instead? I just happen to have one of those.
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Yes and no.
You can use a BT module to communicate wireless with the mission planner and do everything, except flash the firmware.
The thread you linked to is for an android app. and there is no working app for mavlink 1.0 as far as I know.
The closest to that is an app called Copter GCS, but it looks like we'll have to wait for mavlink 1.0 support.
Project home for CopterGCS -> http://code.google.com/p/copter-gcs/

/J

Edit: Somebody claims to have a working clone of CopterGCS -> https://code.google.com/r/xcl0100-copter-gcs/
I'll try it this weekend and report back.
So I can use BT module to connect to controller from my laptop, right?
It's just another way of serial communication as i understand.
my_vision is offline Find More Posts by my_vision
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:39 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post
Thanks! Is it possible to use bluetooth instead? I just happen to have one of those.
Yes, I have tried Bluetooth, works fine shorter range.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
6,025 Posts
Quote:
@e_lm_70

The paper sticker is to protect the thin deposited top layer of the GPS patch antenna during shipping.

Test GPS outdoors with a clear view of the sky all around.
Thanks,

That means that this sticker should be removed right ?

About testing it ... yes, I know I should do it outdoor ... but I did read somebody did success with indoor ... actually in the past (using different GPS modules) indoor did work, as long I get GPS lock coming from outdoor

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Jun 2006
7 Posts
Quote:
It will be a miracle if the default PIDs are correct for your frame and motors. SO you will have to perform PID tuning.
You are absolutely right, it flies like crap with default values. Thought it would sort of fly as good out of the box as the 14 Dollar board from HK I used before this.

Quite a different world, I will check out the links you posted. Just changing some PID numbers randomly and to look what the outcome is does not sound very promising
JimJones is offline Find More Posts by JimJones
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
You are absolutely right, it flies like crap with default values. Thought it would sort of fly as good out of the box as the 14 Dollar board from HK I used before this.

Quite a different world, I will check out the links you posted. Just changing some PID numbers randomly and to look what the outcome is does not sound very promising
Yep, follow the tuning guide and it will fly beautifully.

Don't forget to tell us your wife's reaction when she sees you tie up your quad and put on gloves and a crash helmet, oh and don't forget her crash helmet in case it manages to escape
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Jun 2006
7 Posts
Quote:
don't forget to tell us your wife's reaction when she sees you tie up your quad and put on gloves and a crash helmet, oh and don't forget her crash helmet in case it manages to escape :d
hehe
JimJones is offline Find More Posts by JimJones
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
6,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJones View Post

Interesting , my multiwii board the se2.0 from HK fly perfectly out of box with default PID

I hope to be more lucky then you with same board and same firmware ... my quad has simonk flashed esc ... so was mega stable with old kk cheap board

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
815 Posts
An Analogy

It came to me last night that with these control boards (both this KK2 and the MultiWiiPro) you get a cute little frog out of the box that works just fine. It seems that everyone wants to make a lizard out of it. But one slip up and that cute little lizard turns into an alligator and bites you in the ass!

I have managed to get myself so confused trying to flash the KK2s and reprogram the MultiWiiPros that I am having to take a break before I cook the alligator for dinner.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
Complete Noob here,
Where is the led that is supposed to blink for the GPS? When I connect with MultiWiiConf I don't see any GPS info and the only leds that are blinking are 1 and 2. I followed the instructions to load the MultiWii dev 1240 but don't think my GPS is doing anything other than displaying a very dimly lit led.

Thanks!
--Doug
chestnut75 is offline Find More Posts by chestnut75
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
357 Posts
talking about multiwii dev1240..how do you flash this board w/ it ..i was succesful doing multiwii 2.1 using arduino but can seem to get the dev 1240 to get opened up..a tutorial video would be much appreciate d..thanks jabram
pinoydad is online now Find More Posts by pinoydad
Last edited by pinoydad; Dec 11, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
norway
Joined Oct 2009
1,133 Posts
just did a new test flight and the yaw issue is gone. Perfect hover but needed a little trim. but now it suddenly flipped over and broke another motor arm. where am i going wrong?
fpv-tor is offline Find More Posts by fpv-tor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoydad View Post
talking about multiwii dev1240..how do you flash this board w/ it ..i was succesful doing multiwii 2.1 using arduino but can seem to get the dev 1240 to get opened up..a tutorial video would be much appreciate d..thanks jabram
What error message do you get when opening:

"MultiWii_dev_r1240/MultiWii/MultiWii.ino" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv-tor
just did a new test flight and the yaw issue is gone. Perfect hover but needed a little trim. but now it suddenly flipped over and broke another motor arm. where am i going wrong?
It's a long shot but i've heard large I values for PID tuning can cause this. Although that was for flips on takeoff in ArduCopter not MultiWii.
LegendLength is offline Find More Posts by LegendLength
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
norway
Joined Oct 2009
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLength View Post
It's a long shot but i've heard large I values for PID tuning can cause this. Although that was for flips on takeoff in ArduCopter not MultiWii.
I read that as well somewhere. Im flying with the default settings. Its like it tried to do a 360 when i rolled. what PID`s are you guys flying with in level flight?
fpv-tor is offline Find More Posts by fpv-tor
Closed Thread