HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Gotta say, that dude had awesome reflexes, and the pilot was a putz.

Not only did he have plenty of time to abort that takeoff (it turned right 30 degrees before it even started moving!) but he was a putz for taking off with the crowd arranges as it was.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
[QUOTE=SouthParkflyer;22975260][QUOTE=jasmine2501;22972458], Clubs are the safest places to fly these things, period. That's why you should join one and fly there.
Quote:

Oh yer dog, Clubfly looks well safe to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUm3c_YBVZ0
You claim more people should spend less time about worrying about safety and more time out having fun, then counter an argument about club field safety with a video showing exactly what you are trying to say we should spend less time doing.

Please never go into politics. In a debate you will be your own worst enemy.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dedStik; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post
Looked like the guy hit by the stupidly large jet lived?!? How is that possible? He doesn't even appear as though he's slightly maimed? And I didn't see any ninja skillz being used to avoid the collision...Very lucky to be alive according to some on this thread...

#fanofninjaskillz
Did you see the same video I did? I saw a model that hit the ground first (lost inertia, still had enough to plow through the barrier) and knocked a guy over. Do you firmly believe had the guy been hit before the model hit the ground he would have walked away? I seriously doubt it, and the reason for his anger after the event is probably that thought occurred to him as well. He was angry cause he realized he potentially could have been killed.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Exactly!
When you feel the need to prove beyond any doubt that these things are 100% or even 60% safe, have a friend fly an 8 - 10 pound plane directly into you. I will then believe anything you say about these things being safe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNeal View Post
When I fly RC at the local park, people stop to watch and really enjoy it, often coming up to ask lots of questions. They don't scatter in fear for their safety, so I must be doing something right!
How often do you make them aware of the danger involved?

When you get an audience watching don't think you're alone and special. I hope when they ask questions you offer up that they can hurt. I've had tons of people ask questions, take pictures and such, I've also had them walk right through my landing area, or stand too close to me while a plane was in the air (I like to land close to me) I'd make them step back behind me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthParkflyer View Post
You mean like one of your planes Bro After it shatters my windshield at a '"right angle" as I drive past your 'Safe as houses' club. There's always a chance it certainly might happen. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hYNO...=results_video

Gotta say dude Park fly's looking a lot safer this end
Again, next time you are in a park, fly through a group of people like that, then enjoy the mayhem that ensues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Did you see the same video I did? I saw a model that hit the ground first (lost inertia, still had enough to plow through the barrier) and knocked a guy over. Do you firmly believe had the guy been hit before the model hit the ground he would have walked away? I seriously doubt it, and the reason for his anger after the event is probably that thought occurred to him as well. He was angry cause he realized he potentially could have been killed.
Far be it for me to take it tooooo seriously but for now I'll have my serious voice on....

reflexes have helped most of us till now with or without safety meetings, I'm going to add 'self preservation', instinct, darwinian selection and Murphy's law, a minor but not irelivant aspect to risk taking behaviour to this discussion ....

Just to note... These are people building, flying and oooohing and arhhhing over a scale war plane anyone into irony?
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
skidding in the sky
Joined Jan 2010
903 Posts
....vvv....
Last edited by WitnessOnly; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
skidding in the sky
Joined Jan 2010
903 Posts
Quote:
Did you see the same video I did? I saw a model that hit the ground first (lost inertia, still had enough to plow through the barrier) and knocked a guy over. Do you firmly believe had the guy been hit before the model hit the ground he would have walked away? I seriously doubt it, the reason for his anger after the event is probably that thought occurred to him as well. He was angry cause he realized he potentially could have been killed.

Just to note... These are people building, flying and oooohing and arhhhing over 1/4ish scale war planes anyone into irony?

And i disagree, he was pi55ed over the loss of his 25k toy, no interpreting required, watch again, he felt nothing during the impact {didn't even rub his leg} , watch his body language, hands straight to remote, 'save my plane' was clear to me.... I was as surprised as you'll be
Last edited by WitnessOnly; Oct 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Far be it for me to take it tooooo seriously but for now I'll have my serious voice on....

reflexes have helped most of us till now with or without safety meetings, I'm going to add 'self preservation', instinct, darwinian selection and Murphy's law, a minor but not irelivant aspect to risk taking behaviour to this discussion ....

Just to note... These are people building, flying and oooohing and arhhhing over a scale war plane anyone into irony?
I can side with that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Just to note... These are people building, flying and oooohing and arhhhing over 1/4ish scale war planes anyone into irony?

And i disagree, he was pi55ed over the loss of his 25k toy, no interpreting required, watch again, he felt nothing during the impact {didn't even rub his leg} , watch his body language, hands straight to remote, 'save my plane' was clear to me.... I was as surprised as you'll be
Apologies, and schedule me an eye exam, I thought that was a camera in his hands not a tx. Who wouldn't be miffed at losing a 25k toy?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Did you see the same video I did?the event is . He was angry cause he realized he potentially could have been killed.
Quote:
Apologies, and schedule me an eye exam, I thought that was a camera in his hands not a tx. Who wouldn't be miffed at losing a 25k toy?
dedstik, dog,did you see the same video I did? LOL
I hope you read /comprehend the safety instructions with your ARF's a little better than this little telltale episode
Man the video even had preamble featuring on screen text telling the whole story ???
That dude would have been in shock IMO . It would of hit him later, and it all occurred supposedly under the vale of safety in a club environment ?? This simply highlighting that stuff happens anywhere..
Chill Bro, Brewski up and hit a park
SouthParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthParkflyer
Last edited by SouthParkflyer; Oct 16, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
919 Posts
Well. This has been an "interesting" read.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
Space power
United States, IA, Hampton
Joined May 2012
295 Posts
You seem to not understand the reason for clubs, and how they differ from parks. When a person goes to a model flying field they are going to either participate in flying and should know the potential dangers involved, or are going to spectate and should reasonably be aware that they must keep a reasonable distance as they are guests there. At a park you have people and their families there to enjoy the park and not expecting your airplanes. In the park they have every bit as much right to be there and get as close to you or your plane as they see fit. I stopped flying at parks when it became the norm for parents to laugh while their kids ran out and tried to catch my plane as I came in for a landing. I guarantee if they would have broken my plane or one would have gotten hurt it would have been my fault to anyone concerned and not the parents for letting little Jonny do something so stupid and inconsiderate. After all they have every bit as much right to be there. What do you think the authorities and possibly the media would have said about it. I doubt very much that they would be saying parents need to control their kids better, no it would be how dangerous and irresponsible the pilot was for putting poor Jonny at risk so he could fly his toy airplane.
cfircav8r is offline Find More Posts by cfircav8r
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:15 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r View Post
You seem to not understand the reason for clubs, and how they differ from parks. When a person goes to a model flying field they are going to either participate in flying and should know the potential dangers involved, or are going to spectate and should reasonably be aware that they must keep a reasonable distance as they are guests there. At a park you have people and their families there to enjoy the park and not expecting your airplanes. In the park they have every bit as much right to be there and get as close to you or your plane as they see fit. I stopped flying at parks when it became the norm for parents to laugh while their kids ran out and tried to catch my plane as I came in for a landing. I guarantee if they would have broken my plane or one would have gotten hurt it would have been my fault to anyone concerned and not the parents for letting little Jonny do something so stupid and inconsiderate. After all they have every bit as much right to be there. What do you think the authorities and possibly the media would have said about it. I doubt very much that they would be saying parents need to control their kids better, no it would be how dangerous and irresponsible the pilot was for putting poor Jonny at risk so he could fly his toy airplane.
You forgot to throw a "yo" in there. One half of a Yo-yo.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue