HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2011
2,131 Posts
I just shot rattle can 2x enamel. If you hold the can back about 16" from the foam it will not eat the foam and it makes a nice smooth coat with minimal weight gain. It is the propellant that eats the foam so shooting from a distance lets that evaporate before hitts the foam.
AlfaXray1 is offline Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined May 2011
2,131 Posts
Started adding trim paint. I still have not attached the wing and strakes yet. I need to get better hinge tape and I want to attach the ailerons before installing the wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2011
2,131 Posts
Wing is attached and the horizontal tail planes are attached. Now to find some descent hinge tape. I tried some of my packing tape and it was horrible. So I will check the Hobby Stores. I may go with micro robart hinge points. I want smooth operation. Anyone have any reccomendations for tape?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
I have tried the Blenderm tape as recommended by many but I personally do not care for tape hinges. On my f18 I ran balsa on the hinge lines and used the mini Robarts. they work very well, very smooth and virtually no hinge gap.
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:11 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Well Greg, I'm not good with the tape either, Infact, I suck at using that tape, which is ok cause I dont care for how it looks.. Ill have to try those hinges sometime, if they are the pin hinges, I have some of the minis in the shop I haven't tied yet. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2011
2,131 Posts
On my Skyray the wing is made out of 10mm depron so there is a little more to work with so I used standard ca hinges by making a slit in the foam and placing a small amount of epoxy on the end of the hinge and sliding it into the slot back and forth till it was coated. It does leave a small gap but it has been very durable and effective. The F-14 has tape and it is starting to lift and seperate so I have to keep checking those.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
The micro Robart pin hinges have a small enough diameter that what I did on my F18 made out of FFF, I used foam safe CA and glued 1/4"x1/4" balsa to the TE of wing and LE of aileron. Then drilled them on the center line for the pin hinges before sanding them down flush with the FFF and rounding the LE of aileron. I used a small round file and notched the LE of aileron where the hinge goes to recess the hinge point closing the hinge gap and getting full deflection (the same way you would install that type of hinge on a full thickness wing). then put vasoline on the hinge knuckle prior to epoxying them in place. They worked great, no gap and after finishing the plane the hinges are invisible. I have been flying the heck out of the F18, very cool plane and they have held up great.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:50 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
Somehow I missed this thread up until now. GREAT work, Greg! That's a fantastic-looking Hornet.

Great tip on the Robart hinge points, too. I'll have to remember that for my next project.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
Thanks Steve, coming from you that's a great compliment. Your plans are awesome builds. The T38 is on my list Greg
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined May 2011
2,131 Posts
THe Hornet is a tough little bird....hope my model is as well.

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/f18.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
Wow That is unbelievable!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined May 2011
2,131 Posts
Couldn't wait had to do a maiden flight this afternoon. It was beautiful at the airport so off we went. Had my wife bring the Nikon D-40 with zoom lens for some great dramatic shots. Got to the airport only to realize that my daughter had removed the SD card. So no pictures on that camera. That left the stupid phone camera. Well they all suck. But here is proof that it flies. I am not liking the full flying stabilator. I am going to switch to a fixed horizontal and elevator arrangement. At full throttle downhill it started to wrap over into a left hand bank and no amount of aileron would stop it. Thankfully reducing power and full up broke the roll and it recovered. I am used to the Douglas Skyray I built that handles beautifully in all realms of flight. I like solid controls not drifting without my input. I'll keep it posted here about the change and handling qualities report, in the next couple of weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden! Just a thought on the stab, I wonder if you are getting excessive (uneven) flex in the stab surface under loading? One of the reasons I edged the wing and stabs with balsa was to provide more rigidity. I was concerned that the foam, being so thin, would not be stiff enough on its own. Great looking bird though. You will get it worked out, keep us posted. Greg