HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,903 Posts
I know my thoughts align with Joe's... unsure about AJ, I haven't spoken with him much about the Extras and what he enjoys in 3D'ing a plane, but his attention to the precision side is pretty well known (how planes snap is particularly important to him, etc)...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,457 Posts
Best mid sized and larger plane for an intermediate 3D/Precision pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
... but I'll also lay out there that Joe swapped from Slicks being his favorite planes to the Extra's due to their better manners....
Thanks for the insight on why Joe switched from the 89" Slick to the 87" Extra 300 SHP with which he won back-to-back King 50 titles. I have only a dozen or so flights on my electric 87" SHP because so far I did not care for the transportation and setup time at the flying field.

An advanced and experienced pilot at my club (forty years RC airplane and helicopter experience and thirty years commercial pilot) flew my 87" SHP a few times and said it's the best 50cc he's ever flown and he has an EF 88" Extra 300 that was professionally built. As an intermediate RC pilot I really enjoy watching him wring out my new planes so that I can see what they are capable of. He let me fly his new EF 64" MXS and after flying it I chose to go with the 59" Slick as my new "take me to the next level" mid sized electric.

Now on to my questions:

Is it true that the 59" Slick flies differently than the other Slicks? If so, how so?

If the 59" Slick does fly differently (better?) than say the larger Slicks, would you still opine that the Extras and Edges are better at low and slow 3D than a larger Slick with the flight envelope of the 59" Slick?

I am searching for the best airframe with an optimum setup in a mid size electric through a 50cc size electric to better my skills. All my planes are electric and for the forseeable future I will stay with electric.

Thanks for sharing your experience, expertise, and insights.

Fly the best!

"Excellence is the minimum. Perfection is the standard."

P.S. You have done an outstanding job for 3DHS on the forums, but I still miss the telephone support from Ben. He would always have the right suggestion for the next plane to increase my skills.

Also, we had some intriguing discussions of philosophy.

BTW, has Ben gotten that graduate degree in philosophy yet?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,614 Posts
you need to be a pro to see the difference or get whatever out of the extras.

Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,457 Posts
Extras for the professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
you need to be a pro to see the difference or get whatever out of the extras.

It's great to have people of wit and good natured humor on this thread!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:39 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,903 Posts
Irg's an identified punk though

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,457 Posts
Snl

Quote:
Irg's an identified punk though
A decade ago when I lived near "the city" I came to appreciate the quick wit of native New Yorkers. Perhaps Saturday Night Live rubs off on people?
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
in my opinion, Edge and Extra's do some spanking on the Slicks for low and slow 3D. Edge has more aileron authority and it can roll at times that no plane should be able to roll, it also has more pitch authority. The footing that the Extras have, especially with SFG's, is the best in my opinion and can get a grip on itself and get flying sooner than all the other airframes...

...Slicks are a little better at speed than these planes with a little better tracking, but 3D goes to the Edge, second to the Extra. The Extra is the "easiest" and the most comfortable being harder to upset and quicker to recover.

But all one needs to do is read the histories... people learning their 3D and doing the most flying with Slicks will vote differently. the Slick does react a little different, and if you're used to this as opposed to what the Extras do, you will say Slicks will do everything better. Inversely, if you did all your 3D'ing on the Extras, then the edge will be given to the Extras... until you've spent all the time needed on both airframes to get used to them both equally, this is just how it is. When I first started flying the 104" Slick, I wasn't comfortable at all yet I could do anything with the 103" Extra. But time spent with the Slick, I'm now happy to throw it into whatever I want.

This is of course just much opinion... but I'll also lay out there that Joe swapped from Slicks being his favorite planes to the Extra's due to their better manners.... just say'n

(and anyone who now types that you need to be a pro to see the difference or to get whatever out of the Extras is lining themselves up for a slapping, cuz that is nonsense )
This makes sense, but doesn't line up to what I heard at the huckfest. I asked joe, Wamsy, and many other othe guys who were flying both slicks and extras, why I saw so many extras this time around. The common answer I got was because they were evolving their flying style to more high energy maneuvers. I asked directly about the difference and from his answer, I was lead to believe he still preferred the slick for low and slow. Until now this is one of the first posts I've seen that says the extra beats the slick low and slow. I just thought they were all flying extras to advertise since the slicks dont need any help selling, they're already allways sold out!

I don't have tons of time on the extra, but I did not feel nearly as comfortable low and slow as I do with slicks. But I'm not anywhere near a sponsored pilot. I also did not like the 59 slick at all when I flew it. I do notice it's on sale now though, is this because it's not as popular as the others?
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekm View Post
i know my thoughts align with joe's... Unsure about aj, i haven't spoken with him much about the extras and what he enjoys in 3d'ing a plane, but his attention to the precision side is pretty well known (how planes snap is particularly important to him, etc)...

+1.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
+1.
instant clarification! Love the Internet! Lol!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,457 Posts
3DHS F3A Promotion

[QUOTE=UCDme3D;23000672 I also did not like the 59 slick at all when I flew it. I do notice it's on sale now though, is this because it's not as popular as the others?[/QUOTE]

3DHS has their F3A Promotion on.

I presume the 59" Slick is on sale with their other most precise flying planes, namely the Osiris and the Vyper.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,457 Posts
A specific Extra versus a specific Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
+1.
I have the 57" Extra 330SC (Great plane!) and now have ten flights on my 59" Slick. So far the former high school educator in me says the Extra scores an A with 95 out of 100 and the Slick scores an A with 92 out of 100 for 3D and precision.

Please specify what you like about both planes and describe the flight envelope of the 59" Slick. I am running a "light" 4S set up on the 59" Slick with a Motrolfly 3620-750 and later I plan to switch to a "heavy" 6S set up with a Torque 4016T-500.

BTW, it was a delight to see you in action live at the 2012 TN Huckfest!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
I have the 57" Extra 330SC (Great plane!) and now have ten flights on a 59" Slick. So far the former high school educator in me says the Extra scores A with a 95 and the Slick scores A with a 92 for 3D and precision.

Please specify what you like about both planes and describe the flight envelope of the 59" Slick. I am running a "light" 4S set up on the 59" Slick with a Motrolfly 3620-750 and later I plan to switch to a "heavy" 6S set up with a Torque 4016T-500.

BTW, it was a delight to see you in action live at the 2012 TN Huckfest!
Trill, you were at the huckfest? I wondered if you were going to be there! I finally got to take home that 70 slick i wanted, actually came home with two!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,070 Posts
Anyone wanna trade their 72 extra for my 71 slick?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,457 Posts
Love of Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Trill, you were at the huckfest? I wondered if you were going to be there! I finally got to take home that 70 slick i wanted, actually came home with two!
Yes, I was there Saturday only.

I see that the "love of Slick" is upon you. I trust that your wife can stand it.

My wife is right in wanting me to sell or to put some planes in storage. But most of my planes are like children to me. I don't want to get rid of them just because they are older!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,457 Posts
71" Slick versus 72" Extra: The saga continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Anyone wanna trade their 72 extra for my 71 slick?
Surely, you can't be serious?

Have you put the 71 together yet?