HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:11 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,972 Posts
Ceres vs Thermal Monster

Lots of lift today powered by a Southerly which made launching easy thanks to the sun being behind.

Managed to induce flutter from a pin drop from some height, but definately less dramatic than previous. The solution I feel is bigger horns for ailerons too. 94761s on ailerons are dead quiet which makes for a pleasant change.

Yesterday at Braddon's Lookout I launched the Ceres with 1.3Kg ballast and struggled to get air and got sucked into a tree in dramatic fashion. Smashed into a large limb and was lucky to survive with just a chunk out of the LE.

Either we bungee to get airborne or switch launch locations. Or hack the trees to shreds (which are now 40 ft tall). Thankfully had a fully-ballasted Sunbird 60" to keep the eagles honest.

Flew thermal today carrying a big horse bite out of the LE on one side covered with tape.

Sensational lift today. Want proof? Here we go:

Ceres F3B vs Thermal Monster (11 min 20 sec)

Chris.
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:28 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,859 Posts
Here's a question:
What size servo arms and how much servo travel are you using for your ailerons?
If I recall correctly, the arms on my aileron servos in my Ceres are 5 or 6mm long.
That means I had to drill a hole in any brand of servo arm closer to the output shaft than is available stock.
I would think about doing this before putting a bigger horn on the aileron. It makes a difference, and generally accomplishes the same as what you are doing, only keeps the linkage less exposed.

G/L,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:27 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,972 Posts
Hi Target,
re: aileron horns; Needs Further Investigation.

Chris.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
297 Posts
Oh no, 5 min 23 sec in your flying over the road. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Like I said many months ago Chris - Silicone the hinge line
F3B Fly Faster is offline Find More Posts by F3B Fly Faster
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:26 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,163 Posts
Very nice vid Chris,

Really enjoyed your commentary.

I must admit I have been thinking along similar lines to the guru. Except I would use Sikaflex 227, a urethane product which in its zinc tube dispenser form comes with a nozzle perfect for laying into F3X hinge lines. I have used this on my Needle 100 hinge lines with great success and recommend it highly.

Ken
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Apr 07, 2013, 08:27 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,250 Posts
Big Ceres is it fast?

Hi all,

Just a question to the Big ceres owners. Is it faster than a Ceres F3F If one would Ds it, Compared to the smaller version?
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Apr 09, 2013, 12:29 AM
Don't grow up, it's a TRAP !!!
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,285 Posts
Sorry Asto,
Not an answer for you.
Chris, I just watched your video. Couldn't help but hear your disappointment with the JR 171s.
The Sniper is fitted with those and we've found them to be as bad as you say they were.
They were tight when new but have developed an unacceptable amount of slop in the gear train ... noisy too.
I've got some MKS6125s for flap and MKS6125 minis for aileron to go into it.
Time to make the change
David
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Apr 09, 2013, 02:17 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,972 Posts
Hi David,
Yeah, shame about those servos. Good choice on the MKSs.

It'll be interesting to see how the 171 / 378 replacements pan out.

It sounds like a lot of pilots are flying the MKS flag now.

KST MKS clones now have a Hi Voltage version that might be worth a look. Personally, I'll be running Airtronics 94761s for everything but flaps (JR 3401s all the way here).

Chris.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 01:27 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,859 Posts
I haven't tried the newer JR DS398's, but I hear that they are everything the 378's should have been.
Several friend have them and rave about them.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target