HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:10 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
With the proper harness most any charger can charge multiple lipo's. But the one that comes with the 120 SR only puts out .7 amp max. Not enough to effectively charge multiple batteries. If you shop for a charger make sure it will charge 1S batteries, get a parallel harness and you can charge like 6 at a time if your charger will put out the current.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
Another question, how many flight batteries can the charger that comes with the RTF charge at one time? If it's only one, I'll need a charger that can charge several at a time...any suggestions?
It can only charge one, but I have three of them just by getting different blade models and being given one. I have seen one that can charge 5 I think but don't know its name. Someone should be able to help you out.

From the comments above. I have always loved anything battery powered related and can honestly say I knew it would take over rc and this was when I was probably ten. I remember walking into my LHS and asking about electric planes and the guy looked at me like I had just asked for his first born lol It just made so much sense and so it's madness to me why we haven't been driving electric cars for years. I know they always come up with the battery argument but the rc world and the mobile phone world is proof that we are so ready to no longer be conned by petrol companies who basically control governments.

On a lighter note. When I finally get to grips with my 120SR, I'm so up for modding it. Starting with a huge battery and anything else that people recommend as I think I will be staying with the 120SR for a good while before upgrading as i love it so much and have three of them. These mods might Have to wait till the summer when I'm off uni but I can start doodling during lectures and when I'm at work
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,813 Posts
I know that people mod their helicopters for different reasons. What would be the motivation of doing a "huge battery" mod, I wonder? If it were up to me, I'll look into the opposite direction. I'd rather fly with a smaller battery, as long as that battery will give me good punch and a 4-5 minutes flight. It would be lighter and livelier and it won't be too taxing on the motor(s).
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
It can only charge one, but I have three of them just by getting different blade models and being given one. I have seen one that can charge 5 I think but don't know its name. Someone should be able to help you out.

From the comments above. I have always loved anything battery powered related and can honestly say I knew it would take over rc and this was when I was probably ten. I remember walking into my LHS and asking about electric planes and the guy looked at me like I had just asked for his first born lol It just made so much sense and so it's madness to me why we haven't been driving electric cars for years. I know they always come up with the battery argument but the rc world and the mobile phone world is proof that we are so ready to no longer be conned by petrol companies who basically control governments.

On a lighter note. When I finally get to grips with my 120SR, I'm so up for modding it. Starting with a huge battery and anything else that people recommend as I think I will be staying with the 120SR for a good while before upgrading as i love it so much and have three of them. These mods might Have to wait till the summer when I'm off uni but I can start doodling during lectures and when I'm at work
Dont do away with gas just yet. I will need some for this when I get done with it. WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Dont do away with gas just yet. I will need some for this when I get done with it. WS
Oh, Something to land the 120 on.
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:01 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
I don't have one original part in one of my 120SRs apart from the main motor! That's not something I'm proud of by the way lol
Did I say there were any "original" parts in my old bird? My bad

By the time I finally mothballed my "original" heli after 18 months and more than 500 flights there was nothing original about it!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:03 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Thats interesting, even with alum swash, anti rotation, head, and more plus my weighted flybar "no paddles" my bird is only 105gr. The stock battery is 15gr. and the 1300mah is 30gr.
Sax, was that original weight of 106gr. with or without the battery? Thanks WS
Mine came in at 109g with the Hyperion 550 battery.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guy's, Iam allways reading about people concerned about the weight of there birds so I thought I would start a weight poll. What does your RTF Bird weigh in grams? Please note if your bird is stock, also the battery.

I dont know what a stock 120sr RTF weight is. Mine has many mods, that being said my Bird with a 1300 mah battery comes in at 135 grams. I have plenty of power and she flies great. I have found that the extra weight makes her more stable. Also I have had her over a year, fly often and still using the original motors, main and tail.WS
I tried flying the 1300mAh batts but the brick fried after just a couple of flights and I was too chicken to try them again. Was that just a coincidence? Or could I have overheated the brick by flying too long with the extra poundage (129g all up weight)? I'm using the Xtreme bb motor.
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:10 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
You're using a 1300mah battery? Did you have to install a new mounting slot for that battery or does it fit in the stock location? Also, does that battery give you more duration, more power, or both?
I installed an Astroid Designs battery mount in order to carry virtually any size battery that will fit inside the canopy - found out about it on this thread.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
Cool Swamp Thang ! Post vids. when it's done, please.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:24 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Cool Swamp Thang ! Post vids. when it's done, please.
Bring the women and children inside and bar the doors! WHAT IS that thing???
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
With the proper harness most any charger can charge multiple lipo's. But the one that comes with the 120 SR only puts out .7 amp max. Not enough to effectively charge multiple batteries. If you shop for a charger make sure it will charge 1S batteries, get a parallel harness and you can charge like 6 at a time if your charger will put out the current.
My charger will put out the amps, but do I need to worry about balancing the batts?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I know that people mod their helicopters for different reasons. What would be the motivation of doing a "huge battery" mod, I wonder? If it were up to me, I'll look into the opposite direction. I'd rather fly with a smaller battery, as long as that battery will give me good punch and a 4-5 minutes flight. It would be lighter and livelier and it won't be too taxing on the motor(s).
I think you just answered your own question... We wondered--and then, we tried it! There is no real advantage to the heavier battery except the batteries are much better quality than the 550s & 600s I have. They have lasted twice as long and 3X more consistent. With the upgrade Xtreme motor, the total amps works great. I didn't see any big increase of anything with the stock motor. It was worth the experiment since I saw other guys recommending them on Helifreak, but I have since come to the conclusion that the stock heli with a couple cnc upgrades is the best you can do.

It was actually one of those "the back bone is connected to the tail bone, the tail bones connected to the hip bone" thing. Domino effect... I wanted better skids because I kept breaking them when learning to fly and so I got the Xtreme Trex 250 skids. Then, it has room to put a bigger battery, so I got the batteries. There is an inextricable maze-like fine line between power, the blades' lift and your ability to buy WAY too much crap for it to fly!!!!!!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:29 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
My charger will put out the amps, but do I need to worry about balancing the batts?
Nope. I have charged my batteries 6 at a time for 9 months now and it works every time. I suggest using no more than 1C charge rate, though--just IMHO. You combine the total amps of all the batteries and divide by 100 to get the 1C.

And, if you are new, read how I burnt up my hand and almost burnt down my house with a 550mah lipo battery.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:31 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
I have always loved anything battery powered... so it's madness to me why we haven't been driving electric cars for years. I know they always come up with the battery argument but the rc world and the mobile phone world is proof that we are so ready to no longer be conned by petrol companies who basically control governments.
There's no such thing as a free lunch. How much fossil fuel does it take to make a battery? Any mechanical engineer will tell you that a minimum of 70% of the energy is lost each time you convert it from one form to another. The long-term answer is still the same as it was 50 years ago - nuclear power.
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:57 PM.