HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:44 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,505 Posts
That is going to be the quickest way to cook the motor, don't forget the rule outlet about 3 times the inlet for reasonable air flow. It might work if you are just using it to get some height and glide around, but I wouldn't use that method for mounting.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:19 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
That is going to be the quickest way to cook the motor, don't forget the rule outlet about 3 times the inlet for reasonable air flow. It might work if you are just using it to get some height and glide around, but I wouldn't use that method for mounting.
+1. Also, at 3500Kv, I suspect that the motor will turn into an oven in less than 30 seconds and the motor will just fly around freely after the motor melts away the low grade plastic. All in all, I think it is a very bad idea.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:18 AM
also known as ke123
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
<sniff> <sniff> is something burning?

krise is online now Find More Posts by krise
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
+1. Also, at 3500Kv, I suspect that the motor will turn into an oven in less than 30 seconds and the motor will just fly around freely after the motor melts away the low grade plastic. All in all, I think it is a very bad idea.
AJ
If you've got little airflow, it's true that you might overheat things. Good airflow is way up there in importance.

3500KV alone, won't cook things, though. I've been flying my Bixler (actually a SkySurfer, same difference) with a 2835-3900KV motor for more than a year now, and a 40A ESC and 2200mAh 3s battery, and haven't cooked anything yet. In fact, the motor's barely gotten warm.

Only time it gets warm is when I do vertical climbs... because that's almost the only time I fly full throttle with that motor. If you fly full throttle all the time with a motor that powerful, then you should get a Spitfire or some other plane designed for that kind of speed/power. The Bixler is a powered GLIDER, don't forget!

Powerful motors like that are mostly for occasional stunts in a plane like a Bixler. You'll probably do most of your flying a half throttle or less - which gives you decent climbs and even stunting ability with the Bixler. Full throttle are for vertical climbs and occasional wild stunts.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...v#post20525265

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post19830562

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19740244

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19739017

As I said, if you spend almost all your time at full power with a motor like that in the Bixler, then you're probably flying the wrong plane.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Sep 10, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If you've got little airflow, it's true that you might overheat things. Good airflow is way up there in importance.

3500KV alone, won't cook things, though. I've been flying my Bixler (actually a SkySurfer, same difference) with a 2835-3900KV motor for more than a year now, and a 40A ESC and 2200mAh 3s battery, and haven't cooked anything yet. In fact, the motor's barely gotten warm.
Have you seen his motor mount LOL BBQ time
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Yous is a Great simple visual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Have you seen his motor mount LOL BBQ time
hee, hee, hee. +1. I have flown one of my Sys's with thar same 3900Kv with no heat problems. However, it is totally in the open air - not enclosed in a "coffin" (or BBQ as you said).
AJ
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
simple motor stuff

Quote:

3500KV alone, won't cook things, though. .
I am aware of all of that. I have experience with hundreds of motors. In general, high Kv = lots of heat (caused by lots of i, e, p {and/or small r}). Low Kv motors = less heat (even though they too can get overheated for the same reasons). Along with the above is one of the common things that I read about is folks that over prop these small motors which causes burn out, too. IMO, if anyone even looks at using something other than a stock prop, it should be MANDANTORY have a watt meter. Without it, it is like trying to put on matching socks in the dark.
AJ
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,505 Posts
Is that why I always have odd socks on....must get a daytime job
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
... IMO, if anyone even looks at using something other than a stock prop, it should be MANDANTORY have a watt meter. Without it, it is like trying to put on matching socks in the dark.
AJ
Not necessarily, if you are conservative and use a watt/thrust calculator, you can get a prop that uses similar watts to original setup, but aim a tradeoff between thrust or speed.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
I am aware of all of that. I have experience with hundreds of motors. In general, high Kv = lots of heat (caused by lots of i, e, p {and/or small r}). Low Kv motors = less heat (even though they too can get overheated for the same reasons). Along with the above is one of the common things that I read about is folks that over prop these small motors which causes burn out, too. IMO, if anyone even looks at using something other than a stock prop, it should be MANDANTORY have a watt meter. Without it, it is like trying to put on matching socks in the dark.
AJ
+1 DJ and don't even fully understand what you said.
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:58 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
In general, high Kv = lots of heat (caused by lots of i, e, p {and/or small r}).
I'd imagine that's true. And yet, my 2835-3900KVs (in a SkySurfer and an Easystar) have never overheated.

Perhaps if someone puts them in a plane that doesn't need their max power, and provides good airflow through them, and flies them at 2200KV-like power levels most of the time (which still gives 2200KV-like power, good for lots of stunts, climbs etc.), with only a few 3900KV-full-power climbs and stunts thrown in while letting it run cool the rest of the time....

....perhaps that's the best way to treat one of these high-power motors and make it last a long time, and still do all the stunts you want, despite the "in general" predictions?

Quote:
Along with the above is one of the common things that I read about is folks that over prop these small motors which causes burn out, too.
6x4 Master Airscrew 3-blade, direct drive, no burnouts yet, case gets barely warm.

Quote:
IMO, if anyone even looks at using something other than a stock prop,
These motors have "stock" props?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
My new SS paint job :-))needs some final touches
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,505 Posts
Looks good 86
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
I'd imagine that's true. And yet, my 2835-3900KVs (in a SkySurfer and an Easystar) have never overheated.

Perhaps if someone puts them in a plane that doesn't need their max power, and provides good airflow through them, and flies them at 2200KV-like power levels most of the time (which still gives 2200KV-like power, good for lots of stunts, climbs etc.), with only a few 3900KV-full-power climbs and stunts thrown in while letting it run cool the rest of the time....

....perhaps that's the best way to treat one of these high-power motors and make it last a long time, and still do all the stunts you want, despite the "in general" predictions?

6x4 Master Airscrew 3-blade, direct drive, no burnouts yet, case gets barely warm.

These motors have "stock" props?
The plane comes with a "stock" prop.
AJ
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,585 Posts
BIXLER2 kit available.

Hi guys,
Just letting everyone know that the BIXLER2 KIT is now available in the international warehouse!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101