HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:48 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Great review, Jon! I've long been a fan of both these Reactor Bipe plans. This one definitely looks as awesome as its smaller sibling.

Fantastic videos and photos, too!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2 Posts
I'm seriously considering this bipe, what do you guys think of powering it with a supertiger .61? I have a NIB .61 Tiger, just looking for a project.
Regards,
Lee

www.keywestrc.net
leejkw is offline Find More Posts by leejkw
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5528 View Post
Where should I have the timing set for my RimFire .80? It makes a funny noise when I hit full throttle fast if I go slow it does not make the noise, motor is pulling 48.5 amps at full throttle.
What speed control are you using ?
Try setting your throttle control or acceleration to a lower value and advance the timing a bit.
Bdegan is offline Find More Posts by Bdegan
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,307 Posts
Is the noise a squeal?
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Dec 02, 2009, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,307 Posts
I just bought a second one of these! The first landed upside down (pushed the battery too far) and tore the top wing off. Damage isn't very much but thought I might as well get a complete set of spares and make a few little changes to it. Its a real enjoyable plane to fly. Can't believe there is so little chatter..oh well.
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:50 PM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
510 Posts
Got mine today.
Can't wait to get this one flying.
It's been years since I had my CG Ultimate and an Indy Pitts with a G62.
charlieoneseven is online now Find More Posts by charlieoneseven
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
I have had the Reactor 60 Bipe since the fall.
Its powered with a Turnigy SK series 50-65-380. 6S 5000 mah, 85 amp ESC.
Prop is an APC 17x10. Amps are around 68 to 70 and 1624 watts.
All up weight is 8 lbs. I transport the plane to the field in one piece.
The plane has no issues with this weight. Elevators and Harriers are perfect. I can drag the rudder down the runway all day long. Even at 8 lbs I can fly within the perimiter of the runway.
Last edited by Bdegan; Mar 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: I had a brain fart
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
3-bladeed prop?

Has anyone gone with a 3-bladed prop with this bird?

So far I've used the Rimfire 55-55-500 outrunner, and the Phoenix ICE 75 ESC, with a 3S 3200mAh E-Flite battery, and an APC 15*6E and APC 15*8E 2-bladed prop.
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk View Post
Has anyone gone with a 3-bladed prop with this bird?
For IMAC style flying it would probably work ok.
For 3D, a 2 blade prop is more efficient and gets more air over the control surfaces.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:39 PM
Joined Dec 2005
510 Posts
I have a 3 blade 15x8 I plan to install on my 2 1/4" Tru-Turn spinner instead of the plastic spinner supplied.
Will post some pics when its ready.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:30 AM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
too much prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieoneseven View Post
I have a 3 blade 15x8 I plan to install on my 2 1/4" Tru-Turn spinner instead of the plastic spinner supplied.
Will post some pics when its ready.
I recall seeing an article somewhere that you should step down an inch in diameter or an inch in pitch if you migrate from two to three blades. Is that an old wives' tale? A three blader with the same pitch as the deuce seems instinctively like too much prop to me. Am I all wet?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:18 AM
Joined Dec 2005
510 Posts
Flew the plane the last two days and it is a pleasure to fly. I did a few stunts on the maiden flight just to test out everything and on the second flight let it all hang out with dust devils and gusts up to 30 mph. Needs wing tip skids flying off asphalt, don't ask me how I know...

With the 120 motor in the nose my plane needed 2 oz of lead on the tail in front of the tailwheel to bring the Cg back to center. I just drilled a couple of holes thru the wood structure after sticking them on for some zip ties to hold the weights in place until I can find the best weight for how I want to fly it and then I can install the weight inside. One of the wheels rubs the wheel pant a little because it wobbles on the hub and the tail wheel drags a bit but the plane flew straight off the bench. Part of setting up the aileron pushrods was easy once they were all connected with a stick laying on the back part of the wing adjusting the snap links until the gap on top and bottom at the back of the aileron to the stick was equal.

One thing I added was thin slices of fuel tubing on the ends of the 4-40 screws on the wing braces. The extra clevis keepers were cut into 3 or 4 parts making rings that just fit the 4-40 screws now they stick in the holes while off the plane keeping me from dropping them everywhere and the little bit of tab sticking out is no problem since they are all the same. I added two spare screws with washers between the landing gear in case one is lost at the field.

Not to thrilled with the CG machine when I heard balsa crunching went back to softer fingers.
Has anyone modified their Cg machine to eliminate the wing denting or the 10 lbs of weight needed on the front yet?

Sumitted a "how to" to Model Airplane News on the full body Barbie pilot added with the head turning with rudder movement. Keep an eye open for that and I'll add a link here if it goes online sooner.
Last edited by charlieoneseven; Apr 05, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: updated
Old May 23, 2010, 09:54 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,087 Posts
was the problem fixed with the rudder hitting the elevator...????
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:37 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,437 Posts
What's this baby like with electric? Is glow more powerful?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
I fly mine electric with great planes motor ice 75 15x8 apc and 6s3800 45c TP packs and it does not have much power it will go straight up but it is just kinda dull I think I prob should of went glow. But I have a 15x6 I am gonna try and maybe get the rpm's up and see what happens.
Inman20k is offline Find More Posts by Inman20k