SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2015, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by rchrist
Joined Nov 2013
668 Posts
Cool
My FX067c With Night Lights

Getting all my helis ready for night flights. I've put more lights in the fx067c than the others and it's not finish. Waiting on some blue and red 5mm led to finish it. Changing the rear fast flashing red leds to 5mm red fast flashing leds, moving the white to the nose, and 5mm slow flashing blue on the tail. Visibility is awesome from far even at daylight.

My FX067c With Night Lights (0 min 48 sec)

Ric...
rchrist is offline Find More Posts by rchrist
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2015, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
946 Posts
Serious bling Ric!

Better send one down to us, the daylight hours are getting short....

Tried test flying my V912 with FBL controller fitted the other night. Wasn't bad when the satellite receiver light was pointed my way but got really difficult when it was obscured
Flyingboats is online now Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Jun 01, 2015, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by CraigHB
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
770 Posts
Love having lights on my helis and I do fly them at dusk when the sun has gone down, but I haven't tried it in the dead of night yet. I tend to stick to your basic lights though, navigation with port red, green starboard on the tail and white running lights, head and landing A blue beacon (flasher) on the top of the canopy or tail fin might be nice as well. That's a nice touch the way you added the beacon lights.
CraigHB is online now Find More Posts by CraigHB
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2013
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingboats View Post
Serious bling Ric!

Better send one down to us, the daylight hours are getting short....

Tried test flying my V912 with FBL controller fitted the other night. Wasn't bad when the satellite receiver light was pointed my way but got really difficult when it was obscured
Thanks. After outfitting my diy quads with lots of led strips/boards, I had to do the helis too. My standard setup with one 3mm led on all axis wasn't enough for me. I would loose orientation high up causing a panic. It's so much better now.

The fbl controller is a good move once its all setup right. I looked at the kbar back when and couldn"t relate. Now that I've got lots of understanding with cc3d on the quad side, I understand the kbar better. Never tried a sat rx yet, but my next 450 size diy quad will be loaded. Will probably try the kbar or cc3d in a heli later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
Love having lights on my helis and I do fly them at dusk when the sun has gone down, but I haven't tried it in the dead of night yet. I tend to stick to your basic lights though, navigation with port red, green starboard on the tail and white running lights, head and landing A blue beacon (flasher) on the top of the canopy or tail fin might be nice as well. That's a nice touch the way you added the beacon lights.
I'm waiting on some blue led to do a blue beacon. I've got the red beacon in the brace tube holders and I can swivel them 0-180 degrees. In the vid they are at about 45 degrees. Those red beacons I might replace with blue and put the red beacon at tail motor assembly with some white in the nose.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,645 Posts
What's the power source for your LED's?

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is offline Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Old Jun 02, 2015, 11:02 AM
Joined Nov 2013
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heli View Post
What's the power source for your LED's?

-Florida Heli-
The led strips/boards are rated 3s-4s, the actual voltage rating is 12v. I'm using 2s with them and still bright until the lipo drains, then they are not as bright. The flashing leds 5mm and two 3mm in series are connected to a controller outputting 5v.

Ric...
Old Jun 02, 2015, 11:10 AM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,645 Posts
I'm going to need some lights for my first quad build soon and maybe a 450 scale heli, both 3S. Do you have links to the lights you like to use?

-Florida Heli-
Old Jun 02, 2015, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2013
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heli View Post
I'm going to need some lights for my first quad build soon and maybe a 450 scale heli, both 3S. Do you have links to the lights you like to use?

-Florida Heli-
The green up front under: These led are larger and brighter than the others mention below.
http://www.banggood.com/LED-Decorati...-p-951108.html
--
The red and green on the sides: These come in a combo of white-blue-red-green.
http://www.banggood.com/Diatone-3-4S...-p-961260.html
--
Blue on the sides under: These can be cut at every three led junction and another can be made from the remainder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321615988416...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The 5mm and 3mm led with controller:
http://www.banggood.com/12LED-Flashi...-p-922919.html

There are so many more variety of led lights out there in different lengths and colours. Search quad lights and you'll see them. 12v led for cars will work too.

Ric...
Old Jun 02, 2015, 01:15 PM
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
770 Posts
These are the ones I use;

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...5p60zyKUR1R4lx

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...agFeSAh9yYBEFe

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...aMw0GFl9jtZDq3

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...3PKhZ%2fqg5JLQ

They're 3.2V except for the red is which is 2.1V. You could run them all individually with a bias resistor to get them in the right range for the battery. Probably could put a number in series with a bias resistor depending on the cell count. The odd one out is the red at 2.1V. The 3.2V ones are perfect, one in series for each cell and a low value bias resistor. So for 3S you could have two strings of 3 in series, one string of six in series for 6S.

What I do is use a micro-power booster and put them all in one string. None of my helis are over 3S at this point. The advantage is it forces the same current and thereby the same brightness. Being regulated they don't dim with battery voltage and it's more efficient since bias resistors waste power. The converter wastes some power, but less than bias resistors would. I haven't done any beacons so I don't know how I'd do the flashers at this point.

I get really good brightness with the Cree LEDs. At 20mA they're fully visible in direct sunlight. Cree LEDs have a reputation for being the brightest on the market. They are bright, hurt my eyes if I look directly into them too close.
Last edited by CraigHB; Jun 02, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 01:26 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,645 Posts
I have a circuit for an extremely, extremely simple flasher circuit ... somewhere ... if I can find it. I've been using the same circuit for years. The nicest thing about it is that an ordinary C cell battery will power it for 2 years.

-Florida Heli-
Old Jun 02, 2015, 02:08 PM
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
770 Posts
Oh, I thought of another way to set them up regulated that should work well. Put one in series for each cell then use a linear regulator in current regulated mode for each string. It's actually really simple to do. Should work pretty well, probably try that on the next one I do. Would actually be more efficient than the booster. Those micro power boosters only run at like 70% efficiency and dropping a couple volts over 20mA isn't much power loss.
Last edited by CraigHB; Jun 02, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 02:09 PM
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
770 Posts
Yes, please post the flasher circuit if it's not too much trouble. Digikey has a really nice online schematic editor;

http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/...tools/schemeit

I can save off drawings to PNG or JPG.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 02:13 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,645 Posts
Ah, here we go. The world's simplest LED strobe flashing circuit, except of course for LEDs that have built in flashing. This circuit is good for static models because a single C or D battery will work for about 2 years. One AAA battery would work for a long time I'm sure. The value of the capacitor changes the flash rate so you can set it to whatever you want. The LM3909 isn't as easy to get as it used to be, but it's still available. I used to just solder the cap right onto the IC and shrink wrap the whole thing. It's about the size of a thimble. No resistors. Only needs 1.5 volts.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LM390...959151458.html

-Florida Heli-
Old Jun 02, 2015, 02:47 PM
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
770 Posts
That one's limited to 6V, but I can do the same thing with a 555 timer which is tolerant up to 15V. That way I don't need a regulator for it. I'll use that along with a current regulator for the LEDs on my next one which is 3S (T-Rex 250). I'll do three strings providing two white headlights, two white landing lights, red and green nav lights on the tail, and a string of three blue beacons. Love, love, love those lights. What's really cool is I picked up an mCX2 to play around with in my living room and it already has lights, I like that more than anything about that little coax.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 03:09 PM
Joined Nov 2013
668 Posts
You guys are taking me to school here. Would luv to try your led flashing design. How are timing of the flashes regulate/adjusted?

I've always kept it basic with led. Never done smd led lighting from scratch. Got a couple of 10w cree led emitters that I regulate the power to it with a dc-dc adjustable step down power module. They are bright like you said and gets dangerously hot. I set the volt to a fraction under the min forwad volts of 2.9v and they stay cool to the touch. If I use a heatsink and set the voltage higher 3+v, they can make one blind. It lights up my flying area easily.

Ric...