HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
Germany
Joined Jan 2011
231 Posts
As the F3 CPU can not only invert but also swap RX/TX, you could fix that in software in the worst case.
ala42 is offline Find More Posts by ala42
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
So are they inverted or not?
TSC21 is offline Find More Posts by TSC21
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC21 View Post
So are they inverted or not?
DSM -> straight
SBUS -> inverted
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:15 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
735 Posts
CC defines 2 serial ports, main and flexi, which appear to be STM32 usart1 and usart3 respectively.

The discoveryF3 port defines 3 serial ports, usart1, usart2, and usart3. Which usart ports relate to the CC_MainPort and CC_FlexiPort referred to in HwSettings, and how is the 3rd one configured?

Really struggling to get my head wrapped around this code.

Thanks in advance.
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihlein View Post
CC defines 2 serial ports, main and flexi, which appear to be STM32 usart1 and usart3 respectively.

The discoveryF3 port defines 3 serial ports, usart1, usart2, and usart3. Which usart ports relate to the CC_MainPort and CC_FlexiPort referred to in HwSettings, and how is the 3rd one configured?

Really struggling to get my head wrapped around this code.

Thanks in advance.
This is stated at the pin assignment pages in the wiki.

https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot...pin-assignment

and

https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot...pin-assignment
Last edited by lilvinz; Nov 13, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
735 Posts
I'm blind as a bat sometimes......

Thanks.
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2005
279 Posts
Yes I finally finished my PCB board for the F3Discovery. Instead of installing it on my quadcopter I decided to install it on my favorite multicopter, the Tricopter .

I did have some unexpected results trying to configure the settings in the GCS while both powered from the ESC and the USB connector. The debug log gave me the following error Error: received a transaction completed when did not expect it
After I unplugged the ESC's power everything went fine. With just the ESC powering the board everything seems to be fine also.

I also configured the TxPID on 2 dials of the transmitter so i can play with the PID settings.

Unfortunately it's long dark before i get home from work this time of the year. So I will probably not be able to properly test this before the weekend.
Menno is online now Find More Posts by Menno
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
111 Posts
Yery very nice! Im anxious to see your maiden video!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
50 Posts
In contrast to my difficulty get the F4 board working properly, the F3 has come through. Here is link to my F3 tricopter up and flying--
2012 11 16 11 10 27 (1 min 3 sec)

Thanks lilvinz.

I have noticed a few oddities in getting it airborne. The yaw gyro needed to be reversed on my tri, no biggie. Stranger, when I save configuration settings through GCS, it tends to bugger the calibration settings on my esc's, necessitating recalibration. I did finally figure out that if I remove the esc's from the board prior to making changes, the calibration is unaffected. These are simonk HK F-20A's for reference. Lastly, in attitude mode I am limited to less than 90 degrees of yaw in either direction and the copter tries to return to its original direction. Perhaps this is axis lock? (I am new to Open Pilot) Although, I have turned off that feature in GCS.

Other than these, it seems to fly quite well. Obviously, I am still trying to get the kinks worked out, but it looks very promising.
tacitapproval is offline Find More Posts by tacitapproval
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:19 AM
Schweiz, AG, Schneisingen
Joined Mar 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitapproval View Post
In contrast to my difficulty get the F4 board working properly, the F3 has come through. Here is link to my F3 tricopter up and flying-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUzoshLzlSY

Thanks lilvinz.

I have noticed a few oddities in getting it airborne. The yaw gyro needed to be reversed on my tri, no biggie. Stranger, when I save configuration settings through GCS, it tends to bugger the calibration settings on my esc's, necessitating recalibration. I did finally figure out that if I remove the esc's from the board prior to making changes, the calibration is unaffected. These are simonk HK F-20A's for reference. Lastly, in attitude mode I am limited to less than 90 degrees of yaw in either direction and the copter tries to return to its original direction. Perhaps this is axis lock? (I am new to Open Pilot) Although, I have turned off that feature in GCS.

Other than these, it seems to fly quite well. Obviously, I am still trying to get the kinks worked out, but it looks very promising.
you are having a few possibilities to reverse yaw:
- rc transmitter
- servo mounting

when you set the options in the gcs it should preserve all other settings.
looks like a bug in gcs.
turn off axis lock and try again.
robert b is offline Find More Posts by robert b
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Keep the videos coming guys
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert b View Post
you are having a few possibilities to reverse yaw:
- rc transmitter
- servo mounting

when you set the options in the gcs it should preserve all other settings.
looks like a bug in gcs.
turn off axis lock and try again.
Thanks for the response, but I don't think you quite understand what I am describing.

The problem with the yaw was (no longer a problem) the direction of the gyro, not the direction of the servo. The solution is to enter a custom mix in GCS and change the number listed for yaw from positive to negative.

The settings changing issue is not in GCS, but the calibration of the esc's themselves. The discovery board is outputting some kind of signal to esc's when settings are saved that screws up the calibration. Hence unplugging them while making changes solves this. Maybe this is a grounding issue?

I have turned off axis lock in GCS, but the yaw is responding as I imagine axis lock might work anyway. I will have to experiment more with this.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
50 Posts
Fixed the attitude mode yaw issue. I reran the configuration and removed the esc's and servo connectors before saving. Yaw responds very differently now, although I am having some trouble getting it to level itself properly. The tail tends to drop, despite careful leveling before running the accelerometer calibration.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:10 PM
Schweiz, AG, Schneisingen
Joined Mar 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitapproval View Post
Thanks for the response, but I don't think you quite understand what I am describing.

The problem with the yaw was (no longer a problem) the direction of the gyro, not the direction of the servo. The solution is to enter a custom mix in GCS and change the number listed for yaw from positive to negative.

The settings changing issue is not in GCS, but the calibration of the esc's themselves. The discovery board is outputting some kind of signal to esc's when settings are saved that screws up the calibration. Hence unplugging them while making changes solves this. Maybe this is a grounding issue?

I have turned off axis lock in GCS, but the yaw is responding as I imagine axis lock might work anyway. I will have to experiment more with this.
you get wrong signs when the offset is wrong.
this causes strange things.
the sensor fusion algorythm is ok.

if you notice inconsistant behaviour then your gyro might be faulty or ...
from previous tests you have wrong offsets.
if the gyro could goes in the wrong direction then you could not liftoff.
as well as others.
robert b is offline Find More Posts by robert b
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jul 2009
40 Posts
Hi,
thanks for the work

I just don't understand what to do with SBUS_ENABLE (PD7) :s
metRo_ is offline Find More Posts by metRo_